Which hardtail 29er should I buy

I know questions like these have been discussed ad nauseam, but for those that enjoy this type of discussion, honor me with your time. I currently have a turner 5 spot, but I'm interested into jumping into the 29er realm. I'd say somewhere around $1500. I'd like to go with a 1x9 gearing. I hardly ever use the granny on my turner and I really should get my ass into better shape so i don't have to use it at all. I'd also like to go with a tubeless setup as I've been running them for the past 3 years and the only flat I've had is when I was a jackass, tried to hop over a rock and wound up slicing my sidewall. I know, I'm getting a flat on my next ride. So that what do you folks think?

Thanks in advance for your time.

I've seen you endorse the Paragon in some other threads. Is that in my price range maybe with some different components?

The X-Cal is closer to your price range, but the Paragon is worth the upgrade. You get mo' better'er wheels and Sram X.9. All the cool kids start out on Paragons;)

-Jim.

I used to have a Redline bmx bike as a kid. This could be fate. I'm 6'4" and about 215 lbs. Is the 21" big enough for me?

Yo

I used to have a Redline bmx bike as a kid. This could be fate. I'm 6'4" and about 215 lbs. Is the 21" big enough for me?

I'm 6' 3 205lbs............the xl Cannondale is perfect, with a lefty fork. The redline frame is cut tight in the rear, not allowing room for many tire options.

Mary XC is 29er with gears and a reba fork(rock shock)$1599
for the extra hundred the Cannondale is a better value. Not to mention the cool red on white paint.

Last edited:
I dont know shit, but I have an air-9 (soon to be 1 x 9) and I loooooooove that bitch. I guess it would depend on how you outfit it, considering your budget.

Ok, here's another angle I'm considering. I currently have a 2005 Turner five spot. If I'm willing to part with that, would it be worth it to strip all the components off it for a 29er hardtail build. How much do you think I could get for the frame, Mavic Crossmax disc tubeless wheelset and Fox vanilla RLC 130? I'm thinking that everything else could be used on the new bike leaving me with having to buy just the frame, fork, wheelset and tires.

I'm with you but I already have the HT 29er.

Taking the components from a Flux and using all but the fork, tires & wheels for a FS 29er.

Anybody wanna buy CrossMax 26ers? Like new!

Ok, here's another angle I'm considering. I currently have a 2005 Turner five spot. If I'm willing to part with that, would it be worth it to strip all the components off it for a 29er hardtail build. How much do you think I could get for the frame, Mavic Crossmax disc tubeless wheelset and Fox vanilla RLC 130? I'm thinking that everything else could be used on the new bike leaving me with having to buy just the frame, fork, wheelset and tires.

My guess is that you will not get nearly enough $$$ to buy a frame, fork, wheels and tires. Someone on here recently sold your same frame and a brand new fork, only after months of trying to get rid of it. All Im going to say is that he practically gave it away.;)

Back
Top Bottom