Which Garmin?

stevie.mtb

I am looking to get my hands on a Garmin cycling computer. My main requirements are:
1) enough battery life for a full day adventure
2) turn by turn mapping [that works] where I can download a route off strava [or similar] and use it for the day.
3) not so incredibly expensive where I have no $$ left for bikes haha
The best bang for your buck I've come across in reviews is the Edge 520. Is this true? I hear there's a new Edge 520+...what about this guy? I'm new to all this so if anyone can provide some insight I would appreciate it!
Also, if anyone has experience with another company where the quality is equal if not better, please give me your $0.02 as well

BabyRobot

I have a 520 and have never wanted more out of it.
Garmin puts the battery at 20hrs. Even if it's 15, that is still pretty good. Never been an issue for me. It charges fast as well.
The mapping/routing takes a bit of effort. You'll need to run it through a computer first to make it a TCX file that the garmin can use. At least I do, there could be an easier way. I believe Wahoo holds the advantage here, for road anyhow. The 520+ is supposed to have better mapping though. I have some MTB trails on the 520, but its really just following a purple line in a field of green. It works well enough on the road for routing though. If you really want good maps/routing look at the 800 series Garmins. Trailforks maps work quite well on them.

JerseyPete

stevie.mtb

I have a 520 and have never wanted more out of it.
Garmin puts the battery at 20hrs. Even if it's 15, that is still pretty good. Never been an issue for me. It charges fast as well.
The mapping/routing takes a bit of effort. You'll need to run it through a computer first to make it a TCX file that the garmin can use. At least I do, there could be an easier way. I believe Wahoo holds the advantage here, for road anyhow. The 520+ is supposed to have better mapping though. I have some MTB trails on the 520, but its really just following a purple line in a field of green. It works well enough on the road for routing though. If you really want good maps/routing look at the 800 series Garmins. Trailforks maps work quite well on them.
Thanks for the advice. The mapping feature caught my attention for my road routes. Besides the extra step you mentioned, have you had good experiences with the mapping? (ex. battery life to last a route, turn by turn alerts, accuracy, etc.)

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you're shopping for a GPS unit, DCRainmaker.com is the source for in depth reviews on units. And there's a comparison tool on the site too which allows you to select different models/manufacturers for comparisons.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I just switched ffom a Garmin Edge 820 to a Wahoo Element Bolt. The 820 was finicky. Even on lock mode it always switched pages. Sweat made it change too. So far I love the bolt.

rick81721

Lothar
I just switched ffom a Garmin Edge 820 to a Wahoo Element Bolt. The 820 was finicky. Even on lock mode it always switched pages. Sweat made it change too. So far I love the bolt.

I got sick of the automatic/random page changing "feature" of my 810. So far only issue with the wahoo bolt is once in a blue moon it freezes before a ride/run, but hasn't happened while recording an event. The garmin occasionally froze during rides.

Danimal

How easy is it too see the map? In pictures the colorless screen seems like it would wash out in sunlight. Garmins color screen looks much friendlier to view.

goldsbar

How easy is it too see the map? In pictures the colorless screen seems like it would wash out in sunlight. Garmins color screen looks much friendlier to view.
Very easy to view. Main problem is the Element eliminates details (i.e. non-major roads) too soon when zooming out. Makes it hard to use for true navigation. Becomes more of a game of pointing in the approximate direction of where you want to go. Same issue with trails.

Kaleidopete

A dinosaurs question.
I was looking at the Wahoo, does it work on it's own or do you need more "stuff", like a laptop or phone?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
A dinosaurs question.
I was looking at the Wahoo, does it work on it's own or do you need more "stuff", like a laptop or phone?

that is a good question - it does connect to the wifi network, but i'm not sure if it needs to go through its app to upload stuff.
minimally, it might need a phone or tablet that connected to wifi, but isn't on the cellular network.

rick81721

Lothar
A dinosaurs question.

I think you need the app to configure it and setup for auto upload to strava. But it might work base functions, i.e. just recording a ride without it.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A dinosaurs question.
It works on its own for the usual tracking/gps art stuff, but it works 100 times better with the Wahoo app if you want to send a route to it to follow, or type in an address you want to get to and it will create a route and send it right to your GPS. I haven't played with it enough to know if you can change settings on the unit itself because I used the app, and it's much easier that way too than clicking through menus with the buttons. Wahoo FTW.

rick81721

Lothar
It works on its own for the usual tracking/gps art stuff, but it works 100 times better with the Wahoo app if you want to send a route to it to follow, or type in an address you want to get to and it will create a route and send it right to your GPS. I haven't played with it enough to know if you can change settings on the unit itself because I used the app, and it's much easier that way too than clicking through menus with the buttons. Wahoo FTW.

I don't think there's a way to modify settings on the unit itself, I doubt you can even link to cadence/speed sensors. I'll never go back to a other pos garmin.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't think there's a way to modify settings on the unit itself, I doubt you can even link to cadence/speed sensors. I'll never go back to a other pos garmin.
You can certainly connect cadence/speed, lol.

Top Bottom