Which app to rule them all? Garmin Connect vs Strava vs Training Peaks

Pampa

@Pampa
If you want free metrics, intervals.icu is amazing. It gathers data from your Strava to provide you with the fitness/fatigue/form metrics you're looking for, as well as a power curve with estimated ftp. The eFTP I find is pretty accurate if provide it with good data, it correlates very closely with my tested FTP. The advertise schedule planning and I believe workout creation that syncs with Garmin Connect but I haven't tried that as I utilize TrainingPeaks Premium. I never found Garmin Connect to be a suitable training tool. A free Trainingpeaks account will allow for same day workout creation, so you can possibly create the workouts in Intervals.icu and have them sync day of, or just create the workout day of on free TP and sync it to your headunit, zwift or whatever to follow structure that day.
Thanks! Will check it out if I can't get what I need from GC.

Pampa

@Pampa
If you want free metrics, intervals.icu is amazing. It gathers data from your Strava to provide you with the fitness/fatigue/form metrics you're looking for, as well as a power curve with estimated ftp. The eFTP I find is pretty accurate if provide it with good data, it correlates very closely with my tested FTP. The advertise schedule planning and I believe workout creation that syncs with Garmin Connect but I haven't tried that as I utilize TrainingPeaks Premium. I never found Garmin Connect to be a suitable training tool. A free Trainingpeaks account will allow for same day workout creation, so you can possibly create the workouts in Intervals.icu and have them sync day of, or just create the workout day of on free TP and sync it to your headunit, zwift or whatever to follow structure that day.

Hey @Hakimaki Thank you again for pointing me to this. I couldn't get what I wanted from Garmin Connect so I started exploring it. It looks really good. I'm curious, do you use this or TP Premium, or both? On the surface it looks like TP but with less features, metrics and ability to cut, dice & graph data many ways.

Also, I'm getting a difference in both Fitness & Fatigue vs. Strava (both higher in intervals), and I wonder why that is, since this pulls data from Strava. In any case, I care most about the trends and I have 6 months of training coming up to tune to this scale. Only asking because I have a goal for Fitness & Form in mind based on Strava metrics (which I know what they mean "on the ground" for me) and I might need to adjust that if I start using intervals.icu.

Hakimaki

@Pampa
If you're having serious differences in your fitness (CTL), fatigue (ATL), and form (TSB) metrics, I would double-check to make sure you have an accurate FTP input in both Strava and Intervals (These are manual inputs). Data is calculated off of your FTP, so any inaccuracies will output skewed data. I never use Strava metrics, but I just checked and they correlated quite closely to Intervals. My most accurate performance metrics come from the TP/WKO platform as my historical FTPs are recorded there and therefore subsequent workouts are calculated according to those numbers. For reference, my TP CTL is about 10 points higher than Strava/Intervals.

I prefer Intervals.icu over TP premium for a quick metric scan due to intervals superior power duration curve model. I use TP for training planning, workout creation, and sending workouts to Zwift or to my wahoo for structured outdoors work. I ultimately use WKO5 for the heavier data geek stuff and am still learning how to get the most out of this monster piece of software. I will be using it for custom workout creation according to my power profile this season. Golden Cheetah is a wonderful free open source alternative, with a feature set out of this world. The difference is that they are built around the Critical Power model vs WKO/TP FTP model, which will give you essentially very similar data. I think they were planning on allowing the use of FTP as well, unsure whether this was implemented or not. Haven't used GC in over a year. GC is certainly worth a look to play around with if you want to mess around with and learn some metrics. I jumped on WKO when they had a nice sale going, 30-50% off, I don't recall and suggested to my wife that it be her fathers day gift to me :)

Pampa

@Pampa
If you're having serious differences in your fitness (CTL), fatigue (ATL), and form (TSB) metrics, I would double-check to make sure you have an accurate FTP input in both Strava and Intervals (These are manual inputs). Data is calculated off of your FTP, so any inaccuracies will output skewed data. I never use Strava metrics, but I just checked and they correlated quite closely to Intervals. My most accurate performance metrics come from the TP/WKO platform as my historical FTPs are recorded there and therefore subsequent workouts are calculated according to those numbers. For reference, my TP CTL is about 10 points higher than Strava/Intervals.

I prefer Intervals.icu over TP premium for a quick metric scan due to intervals superior power duration curve model. I use TP for training planning, workout creation, and sending workouts to Zwift or to my wahoo for structured outdoors work. I ultimately use WKO5 for the heavier data geek stuff and am still learning how to get the most out of this monster piece of software. I will be using it for custom workout creation according to my power profile this season. Golden Cheetah is a wonderful free open source alternative, with a feature set out of this world. The difference is that they are built around the Critical Power model vs WKO/TP FTP model, which will give you essentially very similar data. I think they were planning on allowing the use of FTP as well, unsure whether this was implemented or not. Haven't used GC in over a year. GC is certainly worth a look to play around with if you want to mess around with and learn some metrics. I jumped on WKO when they had a nice sale going, 30-50% off, I don't recall and suggested to my wife that it be her fathers day gift to me :)
Thank you again? I'm going to stop asking because you'll keep coming up with more software/platforms to analyze data :) My FTP was setup manually at the same value in intervals and Strava but I noticed intervals detected a new one from a recent ride. Maybe it's using that value. Also, I look at Fitness & Freshness in Strava including data w/o power (my SS doesn't have a power meter) and data from running. Maybe that's the source of the difference.

I think I might just renew TP at year end, and use GC just to gather and share the data.

Hakimaki

Thank you again? I'm going to stop asking because you'll keep coming up with more software/platforms to analyze data :) My FTP was setup manually at the same value in intervals and Strava but I noticed intervals detected a new one from a recent ride. Maybe it's using that value. Also, I look at Fitness & Freshness in Strava including data w/o power (my SS doesn't have a power meter) and data from running. Maybe that's the source of the difference.

I think I might just renew TP at year end, and use GC just to gather and share the data.
Sounds good!!!

GTCHAMPION1

My wife just surprised me with a Garmin Edge 130 plus, I don't know if I should use Strava or Trailforks, all I want is to see how many miles I do on each ride and I definitely need to download some trail maps so I don't take the wrong turn ...I have never use a bike GPS so I'm lost 😳

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
My wife just surprised me with a Garmin Edge 130 plus, I don't know if I should use Strava or Trailforks, all I want is to see how many miles I do on each ride and I definitely need to download some trail maps so I don't take the wrong turn ...I have never use a bike GPS so I'm lost 😳

That was very thoughtful!

Let it update both strava and trailforks - then decide which you want to pay to participate (if either)

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm trying Intervals.icu to see weekly mileage.

I'd like to track my running time/mileage and I find it so frustrating that Garmin Connect doesn't split out mileage/time on a weekly basis for specific activity types. Strava made this a pay-only function.

Seems like such a minor feature that many people would want, especially with running where all those other fancy metrics don't really apply.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Training peaks is great but u need to use all the sensors. Kinda worthless if you don’t use a power meter. TSS gets way screwed up.

Patrick

Staff member
I'm trying Intervals.icu to see weekly mileage.

I'd like to track my running time/mileage and I find it so frustrating that Garmin Connect doesn't split out mileage/time on a weekly basis for specific activity types. Strava made this a pay-only function.

Seems like such a minor feature that many people would want, especially with running where all those other fancy metrics don't really apply.

i was just looking at https://connect.garmin.com/modern/report/17/all/last_six_months
which kinda splits it out but doesn't..

uses stacked bars for different types, and roll-over for totals.
but it doesn't provide a table view with totals (it has the table of activities)
and it doesn't provide custom time frames.

I would highly recommend veloviewer.com as a paid service ($15/yr?) - as it pulls all your strava data
and slices and dices it up any way you want. you don't have to be a strava subscriber for it to work.

They also have a free tier to try it out.

Bleeder

JORBA:President
I'm not sure what that does, but they do get a bump. as does updating trails, and conditions.
@Bleeder would be able to explain it moar-betterer.
Trail karma is money people donate to jorba through trail forks. It can be for a specific park and we earmark it for that purpose.

It's that what you were asking?

Patrick

Staff member
Trail karma is money people donate to jorba through trail forks. It can be for a specific park and we earmark it for that purpose.

It's that what you were asking?

Yes - TY.

Since we are all JORBA members, let your hiker friends know where to direct their $$$.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I should update on my recent complaint.

Garmin Connect does show running vs hiking vs biking time/mileage. Just need to select which event type at the bottom of the calendar. My computer screen was cutting that off...

Still would prefer the right or left column on a calendar gave time/mileage for different sports, but whatever.

Pampa

Training peaks is great but u need to use all the sensors. Kinda worthless if you don’t use a power meter. TSS gets way screwed up.

I finally decided to make TP my main app to track all things in one place, even though I don't like their Dashboard graphs and a couple of other annoying things. I also connected My Fitness Pal to it.

I'm doing every ride on one of the two bikes I have with a power meter, or on the trainer (also w/ power meter), so I can get an "accurate" TSS. Of course, for TSS to be accurate you need to have an accurate FTP, which I still don't have (but will soon).

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I finally decided to make TP my main app to track all things in one place, even though I don't like their Dashboard graphs and a couple of other annoying things. I also connected My Fitness Pal to it.

I'm doing every ride on one of the two bikes I have with a power meter, or on the trainer (also w/ power meter), so I can get an "accurate" TSS. Of course, for TSS to be accurate you need to have an accurate FTP, which I still don't have (but will soon).
That works. Not sure what you end goal is. Training off ftp will make you stronger but there are other tests and training apps that can make you “faster” without making your 20 min power any higher.

pygmypony

apologies for a thread hi-jack...so please steer me elsewhere if it exists already...but i'm training-plan curious for 2021!

for years, i've just been grinding out miles, hammering away based completely on what i'm capable of doing that day. not really worrying about rest days or recovery etc...

i want to focus on improving my overall fitness, and a structured training plan seems to be the way to do it.

a couple of questions / comments:

1) i only have a heart rate monitor - i've investigated some Z2 training plans based on HR zones, and they seem ok...anyone have experience with that?

2) most/all training plans seem only doable on a trainer / road bike...however, i ride as much, if not more MTB than road...so, how do you fit in structured training, when you just want to hit the trails? or are those two not compatible?

thanks in advance and if this is the wrong forum for this (probably is!) please steer me in the right direction!

Joe C

Top Bottom