Which app to rule them all? Garmin Connect vs Strava vs Training Peaks

That works. Not sure what you end goal is. Training off ftp will make you stronger but there are other tests and training apps that can make you “faster” without making your 20 min power any higher.

My main goal is increase my endurance, my secondary goal is to be faster at that amount of hours of riding. Up until recently, I thought increasing FTP would help those two, but I just started working with a coach that uses other metrics in addition to FTP, and different testing protocols than the typical (20 min TT). My interest has now shifted from FTP to MLSS (Maximal Lactate Steady State - a power level lower than FTP but that you can hold for longer). He wrote an article about this for the TP blog, in case you're interested: The Physiology of FTP and New Testing Protocols. This other article looks at the correlations between the two (FTP & MLSS): Does the FTP relate to the MLSS - Yes, No, Maybe?

Last edited:
apologies for a thread hi-jack...so please steer me elsewhere if it exists already...but i'm training-plan curious for 2021!

for years, i've just been grinding out miles, hammering away based completely on what i'm capable of doing that day. not really worrying about rest days or recovery etc...

i want to focus on improving my overall fitness, and a structured training plan seems to be the way to do it.

a couple of questions / comments:

1) i only have a heart rate monitor - i've investigated some Z2 training plans based on HR zones, and they seem ok...anyone have experience with that?

2) most/all training plans seem only doable on a trainer / road bike...however, i ride as much, if not more MTB than road...so, how do you fit in structured training, when you just want to hit the trails? or are those two not compatible?

thanks in advance and if this is the wrong forum for this (probably is!) please steer me in the right direction!

Joe C

I used to ride/train just like you. This year I used training plans for the first time and I noticed big improvments. I used a power meter but the plans I used can be followed by HR too. They can be done in the MTB. In fact, most of the sessions on MTB-specific programs are on the MTB.

I used two plans from Coach Lynda Wallenfels, the Base Training for 40+, and a race-specific one for the Colorado Trail Race. You can purchase the plans in pdf format (OK/better) if you plan to use HR to follow them, or via Training Peaks if you want the structured workouts to use with a smart trainer or in a Garmin Edge for example. Here's a link to the webpage with her plans. Something Iike about her, is that she has a board/forum with a lot in info/Q&A about her plans. You can ask her what to do if you missed a couple of weeks, and other things like that, and she's very responsive.

Good luck with your training!

Back
Top Bottom