Whats your hydration pack?

i have a shimano unzen 10 (i think, its the bigger one) and a classic camelbak, i like the bag better on the shimano since it is quite large and holds a good bit of stuff, but the bite valve is lacking, and at 2 years old leaks like a seive, i just ordered a camelbak bite valve for it so hopefully that fixes it.

How long have you had it? Checked out alot on Amazon and found some cheap stuff but wasn't sure about it since my CamelBak is about 5 years old and in great shape

going on 5 years. one zipper broke about a year in - it gets used 3-4x per month, as i have a lighter one for summer, and rides that don't get too far from the parking lot (CR, SMP, 6MR)
Comes in handy hiking too.

Camelbaks and Zefals
I like the ziptop bladders on the Zefals best, easy to wash, drain and toss in the fridge till the next use (also cheap)
Assume everyone puts them in the fridge or freezer to prevent mold?

3L_bladder_cap.jpg

• Osprey Synchro 3 for shorter, 2-3hr rides and races.
  • Older, Camelbak Mule for picnic rides with my gf, and to pack mule sweaters for her.

Osprey hydraulics 3L bladder is the gold standard. I put one in a Black Wolf pack with a lightweight frame that keeps the pack off my lower back for better ventilation.

Osprey hydraulics 3L bladder is the gold standard. I put one in a Black Wolf pack with a lightweight frame that keeps the pack off my lower back for better ventilation.

do you have that with you? picture please.

Camelbaks and Zefals
I like the ziptop bladders on the Zefals best, easy to wash, drain and toss in the fridge till the next use (also cheap)
Assume everyone puts them in the fridge or freezer to prevent mold?

3L_bladder_cap.jpg

If you use tap water (city supplied) it'll have enough chlorine left in it to kill any mold.

I gave up on hydration packs because I hate taking them off to get to anything I've stored. I would love one of those running packs with the pockets on the front but running packs sit very high on the back. Great for running, bad for biking. That weight up high will become a problem as you get roughty and it'll pull you over the bars. Plus the leaned over position on a bike with the weigh so high will cause back problems.
As far as bladders go, hydrapack > CamelBak. The opening, the bite valve, construction, everything just better.

Been using a CamelBak blowfish for probably 7 years now. Good storage capacity and has unzippable expansion (same concept as luggage) plus 2l bladder which is great for summer rides, though it gets hot. It's also nearly 10lbs loaded up, and moves around too much for my liking.

The bladder is currently full of water from the last time I used it (maybe 2016?) so I'll need a new one. Most MTB rides have been at CR lately so I don't usually feel the need for it there.

Platypus Origin 9, I think it's from their first generation of hydration packs. Has been a solid bag and is a good size for me. Also been using their bladders since way back. Def like the bladder zip top for filling with ice in the summer, and cleaning / drying.

Back
Top Bottom