What the general public thinks about trails...

MST.ESQ

My responses are in red italics

On July 11th, the Trails and Greenways Committee held an additional public meeting... New comments introduced by residents included:

• “The walking trails in this area are redundant and not necessary.”
• “There are safety concerns for wildlife and pedestrians or bicyclists when they encounter each other on the trails.” um, so far I have yet to see any cougars in Livingston, so does not seem to be a problem.
• “Is it worth the effort to build trails that will only be used a few days a year?” Only a few days a year, where does he think we live, Siberia?
• “Without a bicycle shop in the area, how will a flat tire or other repairs be done?” Pull tube out of pocket, place on rim, you idiot. Even if there was a shop in town, does he/she expect the cyclist to walk 6 miles down Rt. 10 to get it fixed?
• “The Police Chief has stated that trails could not be patrolled.” Put Lt. Van de Beek in charge, we all know how competent he is at protecting our residents...
• “The trails sacrifice safety and security. Having a ‘share the road’ bike lane would attract inexperienced riders to a busy roadway.” So now we have to give tests to see if cyclists are "experienced" enough to ride on the road?
• “Bike trails make people complacent about safety.” I just don't understand this idiotic comment
• “There are other ways to use taxpayer money.” Yes, there are. Our town can continue to build shiny new buildings that we don't need. How is that for good use of our tax money?

“Without a bicycle shop in the area, how will a flat tire or other repairs be done?”

3cd8a33a.png

There are trails in Livingston?

We should introduce cougars to the area to eat the people who ask idiotic questions.

There are trails in Livingston?

We should introduce cougars to the area to eat the people who ask idiotic questions.

Not many, and Lenape trail is still off limits since it is county property, but there has been progress. JORBA was involved in cutting 1.5 miles or so of mtb trails at Prospect Park on Shrewsbury Road. (Ironically, DiVincenzo did the ribbon cutting and lauded the addition of biking trails in Essex County - though of course this was township land not county owned). There is a committee for open space that is interested in trails at the Art Park property. One woman on the board (don't recall her name) was at the Prospect Park trail building and was vocal about more biking trails and paths. Town government seems to be on board but there are many in town who seem to be against anything that does not involve spending six figures on consultants to tell us we should hire back our Schools Superintendent and millions more on upgrades to perfectly good buildings.

Prospect Park is closed for the next few weeks FYI, guess the town hunts there.
I did a loop there tonight before I noticed since I came in on the Lenape.
The Lenape trail is a grey area, it's not sanctioned to ride there, but is riding there really illegal? It's not County land. PSE&G renewed the land use for the Lenape another 10 years, there was a 5 year gap of no agreement, which bothered us. So, who's to say I can't ride on the powerlines? I discovered tonight that people live in those old buildings at the top of Riker Art Park, wtf?

I understood that PSE&G has a land use permit from the county. Until they take the "no bikes" sign down at the trailhead on So. Livingston Ave, don't be surprised if someone calls the fuzz when they see you. Town cops have written trespass tickets there.

Back
Top Bottom