what do you read?

Tchaikovsky's Doors of Eden. Another fantastic story.

Just finished this last night, liked it a lot. Will have to check out some of his other stuff, but Three Body Problem is up next. I've almost read it a few times but was put off by it being a translation. I've heard from multiple people that it's awesome though, so I'll give it a shot.

Just finished this last night, liked it a lot. Will have to check out some of his other stuff, but Three Body Problem is up next. I've almost read it a few times but was put off by it being a translation. I've heard from multiple people that it's awesome though, so I'll give it a shot.
The translation won't be much of an issue. The phrasing can be a little clunky at times because there isn't a direct translation of some phrases from Chinese to English, but that won't be anything to turn you off it. One thing that was interesting is that the second book is translated by a different person than the first and third. I'm not sure I could have noticed that if it weren't on the jacket of the books, though.

Wasn't Doors of Eden just a good story? I'm reading something different right now - a kind of action/fantasy story called "Jade City" by Fonda Lee. She was a YA writer and this is her first "adult" book. It's okay I guess, but I keep going back and browsing some more of Tchaikovsky's other series (I think I may look into Dogs of War or Echoes of the Fall next.) Eventually, I'm sure I'll read the "Shadows of the Apt" series, but since there are so many of them, I feel like that's more of a winter time thing when I'm happy to stay inside more.

Wasn't Doors of Eden just a good story?

Yeah I liked it a lot, thanks for posting about it! I've really been slacking and haven't read much the past few years, and for some reason I just decided to grab it from the library based on your recommendation. It was a very interesting take on parallel universes/timelines, crafted in a believable way. The interlude chapters were really cool and occasionally pretty out there.

So I've kind of slowed down a bit on my reading this past month or so, partly because I've been spending less times indoors lately and partly because of an unfortunate incident I had to deal with for a couple of weeks. I am currently going through my third round of shots for my back and got the first one back on June 1st and there was a complication - they gave me a dura puncture that led to a spinal fluid leak. It's not as serious as it sounds, apparently - when I first heard "spinal fluid leak" it kind of freaked me out, but it's actually not a huge deal if you get it treated. Usually they do what's called a "blood patch" where they inject a little bit of your own blood into the spot where the leak is to fix it, but that wasn't an option for me because my shots are "trans-laminal" or something like that and a blood patch would likely only make it worse. So it ended up being a round of prednisone for me, and that worked pretty well. The reason that took me off reading was that the effect of the leak was to give me these crushing headaches behind my eyes. I was actually lucky this happened while I was on vacation because there was no way I could have worked like that - I couldn't focus on anything for more than a few seconds without having to close my eyes and put my head back - the pressure was pretty bad. And I probably made it worse by waiting to get it checked. I assumed that since it started right around the time it got really hot and humid in early June that the change in atmospheric pressure was causing the headaches, but when it didn't go away after the humidity finally broke and in fact was getting worse, my FIL suggested I get checked because he dealt with something similar many years ago.

So anyway, I did manage to read a couple of books over the last month. One of them was awesome - it's another one of Tchaicovsky's: Cage of Souls . It's a story about the end of humanity far into the future as the sun is dying and our long-ago efforts to escape the solar system amounted to nothing in the end. The premise itself is uniquely fascinating - especially considering that the eventual end of this solar system is of course an inevitability. But what makes this so good is that Tchaicovsky manages to create a fully formed world of distant future humans that are simultaneously totally believable and weird as hell. The world itself is a horror of violence and new animals as evolution has accelerated to try to find something that can thrive in the ultra-hostile environments of humidity-soaked jungles and barren desert land. The story itself is told as a memoir by a prisoner in the last - and most harsh - prison on earth. He reflects on his time as a young man in a society that was circling the drain but perfectly comfortable to just fiddle while their world burned. Their strange physical evolution away from what we know as humanity (from what I gathered, they're all much shorter than we are), weird customs (e.g., one of the signs of the rich is that they like to be surgically altered to have bizarre defects as a sign of status) and the casual ultra-violence they live with as they fight off the creeping death of the world around them in the last city on earth really allows for bizarre mental images. It's a wildly imaginative story with an ending that is somehow both semi-hopeful and horrifyingly tragic. Strongly recommend this one!

I also read "Jade City" by Fonda Lee. I think she was a YA writer who has transitioned to adult stories with this novel. It was pretty good - it's the first in a trilogy and the second is out now. I'll probably read the full series at some point, but I'm not in a huge hurry. It's kind of a story of families who gain super powers of a sort from jade, and how they use that to control their society and battle among themselves. It was an entertaining story, but it's not exactly my typical type of read, so I'm not in a big hurry to read book 2. But worth a read if you like action type stories with a fantasy element them.

Right now, I'm reading "Aurora" by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's about humanity's first settlement on another world. I'm only a little ways into it, but I really like it so far - generations of people live on a ship carrying them to their new destination (a moon of a planet orbiting Tau Ceti.) Another "big idea" story with multiple themes. So far, Robinson seems to be a very methodical writer, so this one takes some time to set up, but so far so good!

So I finished Aurora a little while ago. I have to say, it kind of lost steam for me at the end. It was still overall a worthwhile read and its topic was very interesting, but it almost felt like Robinson didn't quite know how to tie it off in the end because there were quite a few different threads that kind of felt like they were just left hanging at the end or else they were tied up in a way that felt rushed and incomplete. That said, if you want a story that takes a different - and perhaps darker - view than most books on what the future holds for the human race as it attempts to ensure its survival past the life of our own solar system, give it a look.

After finishing that, I took a break from fiction and read The First Tour de France: Sixty Cyclists and Nineteen Days of Daring on the Road to Paris by Peter Cossins. I really enjoyed this one - I've known names like Desgrange, Garin, & L'Auto forever, but I never really knew the details of that first race. This books lays it all out - the bitter political rivalry that was in part responsible for its inception, the almost insurmountable challenges that faced the organizers, the on-the-fly rule changes that sometimes seemed to come out of nowhere, and (of course) the almost constant cheating. It is a hugely entertaining story with characters that seem to come straight out of fiction and Cossins weaves in the context of a changing world and a new outlook on human potential brought on by the anything-is-possible mindset of the Industrial Revolution. Definitely worth checking this one out if you're a Tour fan.

After that, I picked up another sci-fi book, but one that's a pretty big departure from the "hard sci-fi" I've kind of gravitated towards - Mort(e) by Robert Repino. This is much more of an "out there" sci-fi/fantasy mix. Basically, a colony of ants leads the animal kingdom in a war against oppressive humanity after releasing a chemical virus that transforms other animals into sentient, intelligent beings. The main character, Mort(e) (previously known by his "slave name" Sebastian) is a house cat who becomes a war hero among the animals for his daring and skill as an assassin killing humans. There's some parallels to Orwell's "Animal Farm" sprinkled throughout, and the novel explores the conflicts between logic and faith and how any sentient being - human or otherwise - struggles to define the "meaning" of their life. Starting from such a wild concept (which admittedly requires a certain degree of "just go with it"), there are a lot of deep themes playing out here. It's not necessarily for everyone, but if you can get past certain problematic plot elements (e.g., the way the virus that grants sentience plays out seems a bit random), there's a pretty thoughtful story hidden away here. This is actually the first book in what is now a four-part story, and I think this is a saga I'll eventually read all the way through.

So now, I'm just starting Andy Weir's Project Hail Mary. I saw this on a recommended summer reading list and it seemed pretty interesting, but I just picked it up today so no judgments yet. In truth, I really reading this now because I picked it up to have something to read before Tchaikovsky's Shards of Earth is released this week.

So now, I'm just starting Andy Weir's Project Hail Mary. I saw this on a recommended summer reading list and it seemed pretty interesting, but I just picked it up today so no judgments yet. In truth, I really reading this now because I picked it up to have something to read before Tchaikovsky's Shards of Earth is released this week.

We are listening to this. Ray Porter makes every book better. The audiobook version of this is awesome. I am told it does not read as well.

Speaking of ants, I am currently reading The Cretaceous Past by Cixin Liu. I think you know that guy.

I am getting in a car tomorrow and driving for a while so I may pick up that Aurora book up. Though in reading some of the reviews. Maybe not. Have you ever read the Mars Trilogy stuff by him?

We are listening to this. Ray Porter makes every book better. The audiobook version of this is awesome. I am told it does not read as well.

Speaking of ants, I am currently reading The Cretaceous Past by Cixin Liu. I think you know that guy.

I am getting in a car tomorrow and driving for a while so I may pick up that Aurora book up. Though in reading some of the reviews. Maybe not. Have you ever read the Mars Trilogy stuff by him?
No, Aurora was the first of Robinson's books I've read. The thing about Aurora is it's actually a fascinating concept and the whole story is told by the ship's AI, which is a brilliant concession on Robinson's part - it makes the "all knowing" nature of the entire narration, from private moments to broad events, entirely plausible. And for the most part, it keeps you engaged. I would guess that anyone who likes "hard" sci-fi will enjoy it, and many of those will probably even like the ending. Personally, I didn't like that ending. I get it, but I'd have gone a different way.

I've heard great things about Liu's "The Cretaceous Past", so that is definitely on my list as well.

Since I posted earlier, I read the first three chapters of Project Hail Mary and I like it so far. Someday I'm going to have to try an audiobook - it'd be a totally different experience for me because I don't "hear" books when I read them, if that makes any sense. I don't process written dialogue as voices. It's all just conveyed information. Even when I was little, I didn't like having books read to me - I just never retained anything that way.

Empire is horrible. Seriously trash. I am hoping Foundation is not as bad.
@Norm - when you refer to the Empire books here, are you talking about the late 80's/early 90's trilogy from Feist and Wurts? I just started reading "A Memory Called Empire" by Arkady Martine - I don't think that's the one you're referring to (it's a recent series that's now only two books - "A Memory Called Empire" and "A Desolation Called Peace".) At least I'm hoping it's not given your less than positive assessment. I'm only about 100 or so pages in, but so far it's less sci-fi than political thriller. And that's cool - different flavor. Not sure how it'll go overall, but it's interesting so far.

As for Foundation, that's one I'm pretty sure I won't have time to read before the series launches on Apple TV (late September, I think.) I'm really looking forward to that series - the previews just look really good and Jared Harris is usually pretty good in everything he does.

@Norm - when you refer to the Empire books here, are you talking about the late 80's/early 90's trilogy from Feist and Wurts? I just started reading "A Memory Called Empire" by Arkady Martine - I don't think that's the one you're referring to (it's a recent series that's now only two books - "A Memory Called Empire" and "A Desolation Called Peace".) At least I'm hoping it's not given your less than positive assessment. I'm only about 100 or so pages in, but so far it's less sci-fi than political thriller. And that's cool - different flavor. Not sure how it'll go overall, but it's interesting so far.

As for Foundation, that's one I'm pretty sure I won't have time to read before the series launches on Apple TV (late September, I think.) I'm really looking forward to that series - the previews just look really good and Jared Harris is usually pretty good in everything he does.

No no, the Galactic Empire Trilogy by Asimov.

Pebble in the Sky
The Stars, Like Dust
The Currents of Space

I am finally in the last few chapters of the 3rd one (Pebble) and it is just, finally hinting at some of the precursor story of how The Mule "might" have come about. This book is slightly less crappy than the other 2.

No no, the Galactic Empire Trilogy by Asimov.

Pebble in the Sky
The Stars, Like Dust
The Currents of Space

I am finally in the last few chapters of the 3rd one (Pebble) and it is just, finally hinting at some of the precursor story of how The Mule "might" have come about. This book is slightly less crappy than the other 2.
Oh - okay! I have to get past a "contemporary bias" I think I have. I've read some of Asimov's work in the past and always enjoyed them, but when I choose something now, I tend to go for more recent stuff possibly based on the assumption that later works have a better grasp of the sort of technology necessary for a futuristic world. Not a great approach, but I do tend to go for more contemporary stuff and I can't think of any other reason why I'd do that so automatically ...

Oh - okay! I have to get past a "contemporary bias" I think I have. I've read some of Asimov's work in the past and always enjoyed them, but when I choose something now, I tend to go for more recent stuff possibly based on the assumption that later works have a better grasp of the sort of technology necessary for a futuristic world. Not a great approach, but I do tend to go for more contemporary stuff and I can't think of any other reason why I'd do that so automatically ...

I think your bias makes total sense. Not everything falls into that but a lot of the classic SciFi does, and struggles against a lot of the current stuff.

I’ve read Foundation before but it’s probably 30 years ago. I’m going to be restarting it soon.

With the new release of the movie Dune I decided to pick that up again. I don't remember when I read it last, probably grabbed it from one of my brothers as a kid but I'm glad I revisited. Looking forward to finishing the series.

With the new release of the movie Dune I decided to pick that up again. I don't remember when I read it last, probably grabbed it from one of my brothers as a kid but I'm glad I revisited. Looking forward to finishing the series.

Foundation is going to drop on Apple soon 9/24 - damn, that is a lot of reading to prep!

I came here to basically say the same thing. I read Dune and Dune Messiah this week. I'm tempted to start Children of Dune now, but I should probably go to bed. I'm not sure if I'll continue beyond that or not, I seem to remember that God Emperor of Dune is weird AF. I'm pretty sure I never read the last two books though, so maybe I'll just plow through all of them.

I came here to basically say the same thing. I read Dune and Dune Messiah this week. I'm tempted to start Children of Dune now, but I should probably go to bed. I'm not sure if I'll continue beyond that or not, I seem to remember that God Emperor of Dune is weird AF. I'm pretty sure I never read the last two books though, so maybe I'll just plow through all of them.

I have been reading the Foundation books and have recently seen this a few times:

I have never read Dune but I intend to after this is done.

I’m looking forward to the modern interpretation of Foundation.

I’ll watch the new version of Dune, but in the reference frame of 1984 David Lynch

I’ve read them long ago, 40+ years for Foundation.

like most Stephen King, the big screen version has a difficult time beating the imagination of the reader.

i read that childhood’s end may be up for movie discussion again. If you read any A.C. book, make it this one.

I have been reading the Foundation books and have recently seen this a few times:

I have never read Dune but I intend to after this is done.

I found a lot of similarities between Dune and fantasty/sci-fi novels written after. History is manipulation of religion and politics to serve a goal so that's no surprise it would be a common theme. You will definitely enjoy Dune. Foundation might be next for me too.
I just finished Messiah yesterday as well and have Children of Dune ready to start.

Back
Top Bottom