What Bird Did You See Today?

I took my bird nerd wife out on a hike up around Bearfort Ridge and Hank's Pond on Saturday to do some birding. She likes the little birds which generally hang out at the top of the trees and move around a lot. She was hoping to see some warblers and get some good pics. It's tough to get good pics, because they tend to just not sit still for more than a second or two. It requires patience and a lot of standing around.

Blackburnian Warbler. This guy was super cool, and probably the best bird we saw, but he wouldn't come close enough for a good pic, and he flew away and we didn't see another one.
6AEDB09D-739C-4C41-B411-0DA38DB23B7F.jpeg

Black-and-white Warbler. We saw a few of these guys on the Highlands Trail heading up toward Bearfort Ridge.
7E441095-07C1-40DE-A6C3-8722D26F5F15.jpeg
189D6736-7899-4A10-A793-1B3B478E1759.jpeg

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher. We saw two of these guys up on the ridge, and they followed us for a while. They were super curious and friendly, but that's probably because we were playing bird songs on the iphone and they were looking for the hot female gnatcatcher.
26ED1955-FDA5-4790-B01A-5C33B21DF3DE.jpeg
02D80EEB-27F1-41A8-A49D-3358908AE4FB.jpeg

Found a dove's nest while walking thru my yard yesterday

HRN98kE.jpg

I took my bird nerd wife out on a hike up around Bearfort Ridge and Hank's Pond on Saturday to do some birding. She likes the little birds which generally hang out at the top of the trees and move around a lot. She was hoping to see some warblers and get some good pics. It's tough to get good pics, because they tend to just not sit still for more than a second or two. It requires patience and a lot of standing around.

Blackburnian Warbler. This guy was super cool, and probably the best bird we saw, but he wouldn't come close enough for a good pic, and he flew away and we didn't see another one.
View attachment 127756

Black-and-white Warbler. We saw a few of these guys on the Highlands Trail heading up toward Bearfort Ridge.
View attachment 127757
View attachment 127758

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher. We saw two of these guys up on the ridge, and they followed us for a while. They were super curious and friendly, but that's probably because we were playing bird songs on the iphone and they were looking for the hot female gnatcatcher.
View attachment 127759
View attachment 127760
Nice pictures! What camera is she using? Unfortunately my last decent camera is a film camera so I can only take iPhone 6s quality pictures now, which prevents me from identifying the weird bird of prey that keeps sitting on the same branch until being harassed by the blue jays...I assumed it was some juvenile hawk, but looking at him flying seems more like a fat hawk...

Canon EOS 7D with a 70-200mm zoom lens. She was a professional photographer for a while, so it's a pretty serious camera/lens. We call it the uber camera.

yeah those are great pics - I just assumed those were Google pics of what you saw

Back
Top Bottom