what bike to get

M

Mikey_C

althoug i can get good deals we have at the shop, my boss is heading to interbikein Vegas to get the real good shitz.

ill prob build piece by piece but need somethere to start. My boss will try to get us in contact with a few manufacturers to see if i can get my hands on a frane for the winter, then all i have to do is pick my parts

heres what im leaning toward: BMC fourstoke, SC blur, ellsworth truth, turner flux, and maybe a rush team cause i can get a great deal

could be a fun winter, so give me your thoughts and ideas

;mike

C

CD1134

I hear Turner is "going out of business." The company that manufactured the bikes decided not to build Turners anymore (not enough demand), so it's up-in-the-air whether they'll continue to operate. This might pose a problem if you ever had to use the warranty.

My vote's for the Santa Cruz.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
CD1134 said:
I hear Turner is "going out of business." The company that manufactured the bikes decided not to build Turners anymore (not enough demand), so it's up-in-the-air whether they'll continue to operate. This might pose a problem if you ever had to use the warranty.

My vote's for the Santa Cruz.

Where did you hear this? :shock:

The only thing I heard was Dave T was changing the rear tri from a Horst/Specialized link to his own design. (I heard he's basically "tired of paying patents to Specialized").

Turner website says the plant that builds their bikes is in Portland OR, is this the co that is thinking about not mfg for Turner?

p.s. I own a superlight and i love it, i just want more travel now. but anyone wanting a solid 3.5" race bike, superlights are selling cheap!

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
I'd look at Turner Flux or Ventana El Salt for starters.

http://www.ventanausa.com/frame_elsaltamontes.html

Marc D (sharcsplean) has a new Iron Horse (forget the model, but its the 5" trail bike) and he's loving the DW Link design. might want to look at them as they make a good bike for a reasonable cost.

You will probably love the Blur, its a goat. But expect some extra maintenance with the pivots. 2 buddies have them and they both go thru pivots like undapants.

I want a 5" travel bike so the 5 Spot and the X-5 are on my short list.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
smarencik said:
mergs - hear any opinions/reviews/scuttlebut on the c-dale rush?

no sorry, i've not heard much on the rush itself... but the prophet is in my top 5. only real way to know is to demo them at an lbs.

i actually own 2 c'dales: a gemini (diablo bike) and a road bike (forget the model). like them both a lot. all around cdale is solid, all single pivots though... for some that's an issue. me i'm ok with a single piv, i just fear that lefty shock... but it my own groundless issue most... people like them that ride them.

Shaggz

A strong 7
i'm a c-dale person myself; jekyll w/lefty and a super v before that. the lefty fork is hella stiff. i like the prophet also, but although i ride agressively, i am not a big hit rider. the bike seems to fill the gap between the scalpel and prophet, and it was built and tested on trails similar to those we ride in northern nj.

the lower bb bracket "concerns" me but it hasn't been a major issue discussed in the reviews and rants/raves in other forums.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'm a trek guy, always have been. i'm on my third trek, an ex7, and i beat the crap outta it (granted, my third trek in 15+ years and my first bike with ANY suspension, but still..). although i'm not a big hit guy, i ride pretty had and b/c of my body type (5'10", 220 and former/sorta still a powerlifter) i put a beating on my bikes. my LBS actually uses me as an example when selling the ex line. basically, if it can take what i'm dishing out, it should work pretty well for a lot of folks and so far i've had no issues with it at all and i've put a fair amount of miles on it. i know there are a lot of people that have a problem with trek, but i'm one of the folks who swear by them. BUT, get rid of the jones tires IMMEDIATELY if not sooner. they are terrible for NJ riding. HTH

jake

Top Bottom