What are you all 'Matty' about on your bikes?

I think SRAM dicked with the naming structure for 1x11. My X01 or whatever it is rear derailure is not as high end as my X9, it's way heavier and way more metal/cheap. It's whatever one is one step down from the best right now in sram 1x11.
THOUGH
The X-Horizon rear derailure is by design heavier, it's a really nice upgrade. It's a nicer design to keep the chain taught on rough terrain.

I still have 9 speed on my hardtail and my fatbike. Not because I'm stubborn but because it hasn't broken yet. My hardtail wheels aren't hardtail compatible so I'll likely never go 1x11
Also my SS wheel is 135mm ONLY, so I'm probably going ot be stuck with 135mm rear ends for a long time since I really like that wheel.
If your talking the Salsa, they make 142 maxle dropouts (alternator) which can be had for $130.

BB30 was an awesome invention just to watch Utah get angry and argue about something so silly.

And I never knew matching tires would be a thing. I line them all up (of course) to the valve stem but never thought about matching tires. Most of my bikes don't have matching tires.

Oh yeah... I have blue ferrules on my blue bike and red ferrules on my red bike... but only on the shift cables.

Yeah, I'm gonna do my best to avoid a press fit BB30 next time. I got a threaded PF one from Wheels Mfg and even that still creaks.

I have no opinion except what has been covered.
Xc = mechanical breaks Spykes over BB7s
Yes @jShort one finger braking because I have Man hands
Hydros for DH only where you need them

Square taper for life
Skf on my misfit since 2008 with zero maintence and noise.

VPP outshines every other rear suspension, thank you Outland!

@gtluke you can ride my new tallboy it's pretty sweet the new geometry is more trail than pure xc but for me that's a good thing .

Im the not angry one...I think they work perfectly. You guys get angry at me for not hating them.
But will they last 8 years without service. Point being there was absolutely nothing engineeringly wrong since the cotter pin with BSA and square taper. It wasn't till shimano needed a change to octalink or whatever that they needed to reinvent the wheel. To me it just went to dumbing down a solid part.

This thread. This is a thread I can get into.

• Threaded BB
  • Matching front and rear tires
  • Matching 160 front and rear rotors on a 29er
  • Line up logo with valve stem
  • Shimano everything everywhere
  • Tubes
  • 3x9
  • 2x9
  • Also have 10 speed stuff
  • Frame pump on roadie, pump on MTB
  • I refuse to buy a bike with suspension because I hear how often my bro in law needs to service his Fox stuff, but every time I rent full squish out west I feel like a hero and ponder the idea of getting one for home, for 2 minutes.
  • Square taper
  • Threaded headsets go with skinny tires just fine
  • Bar ends for SS MTB because 4 gears: sit, stand, bar ends, and walk
  • SPD because I know people who rode crankbros, before they walked crankbros
  • Bourbon, neat. Because I chewed on a handful of hops and I didn't enjoy it

I feel so ... so ... judged.

29er Full suspension? Check.
PF30 BB? Check.
Hydro Brakes? Check.
160mm rotors F&R? Check.
1x11 SRAM? Check.
Matching tires? Check.
Tapered headset? Check.

OK, I might be joking a bit ... I do need to get off my ass and set it up tubeless, and change the front rotor to 180, and, and ...

But will they last 8 years without service. Point being there was absolutely nothing engineeringly wrong since the cotter pin with BSA and square taper. It wasn't till shimano needed a change to octalink or whatever that they needed to reinvent the wheel. To me it just went to dumbing down a solid part.
Made crankset/bb set up WAY lighter while also making it stiffer.....Sign me up. The old square taper BB I took out of my wife's mtb weighs almost as much as my entire hollowgram crankset....what for? So a $10 bearing can last 8 years? who cares? And if you spent the money and bought a ceramic one...not sure about 8 years, but the one in my old epic took 3 season of abuse and was still fine. Of course since it involves a tolerance, cheap china frames like the ones we bought will have issues since they seemed to have machined them with a wood lathe..but any cannondale or specialized frame I have had, no problems. I find it comical how angry people get about this...its like saying "I dont know how to true a wheel...FUCK YOU BIKE COMPANIES MAKE ALL WHEELS PLASTIC MAGS"

My hardtail wheels aren't hardtail compatible so I'll likely never go 1x11

wait...what??

since im the only person who got called out by my full name.... honestly i dont think im that bad....but i still wont ride with a GPS

Ive dealt with PF30 on my niner enough to want to go to a threaded BB shell for my next frame....the options are thinning out though.

I see no need for full suspension for myself

I finally upgraded to hydraulic brakes this year. they are nice..but mechanicals still have their place and ill still use them when i need to

If it aint broke dont fix it....thats why i have a habit of riding old stuff. I blew out my wheelset last year at CR and finally had to upgrade, at which point i decided to move to a 15mm through axle up front with a new fork and tapered steerer...but if that wheel hadnt blown out i would probably still be riding the old setup

The old square taper BB I took out of my wife's mtb weighs almost as much as my entire hollowgram crankset....
There lies the problem I am sure your wife's bike had shimano or cheaper yet. Skf is half the weight of those cheap ass BB. My misfit still weighed 21# set up rigid. I will sign up for working parts that last. I can at least say I got my money's worth.

wait...what??

since im the only person who got called out by my full name.... honestly i dont think im that bad....but i still wont ride with a GPS

Ive dealt with PF30 on my niner enough to want to go to a threaded BB shell for my next frame....the options are thinning out though.

I see no need for full suspension for myself

I finally upgraded to hydraulic brakes this year. they are nice..but mechanicals still have their place and ill still use them when i need to

If it aint broke dont fix it....thats why i have a habit of riding old stuff. I blew out my wheelset last year at CR and finally had to upgrade, at which point i decided to move to a 15mm through axle up front with a new fork and tapered steerer...but if that wheel hadnt blown out i would probably still be riding the old setup

Oops, my hardtail isn't 11spd compatible
You made giant improvements this year. Not that I care what you purchase, but you aren't so hard headed about using really stupid shit on your bikes. You still just bought a bike that has those stupid fucking cones and loose ball bearings for axles though.
:)

Back
Top Bottom