Wharton Conditions

sandman

and you need an axe.
OH! I got an axe! 20200701_164502[4121].jpg This is from Greenwood. Look at all that sand. Got to get one more ride in before turning it over to the hunters.

sandman

I will do a full loop this Saturday, to finish up the down trees on the orange trail. I think that the trees near Mount, and a log near the Batona, are all that's left. Until the next storm.
Got in 28 miles. The orange trail needs some TLC in spots, but can be used. I'm off to other parks for now, but will be back for the Wharton 40.
I wasn't the only one cleaning trails. So thanks to them as well.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Several folks have been braving the chiggers over the past weeks, spending time w/ axe, saw, and clippers clearing the northern half of the white (Oak Hill Trail) and the red (Tea Berry Trail). Both trails are nearly ready for a full rough brushback.

Much thanks to; Jim (everybody in sNJ knows Jim), @pibbles. @sj_john, and KatanaBoy for their experienced efforts.

Last edited:

pibbles

Several folks have been braving the chiggers over the past weeks, spending time w/ axe, saw, and clippers clearing the northern half of the white (Oak Hill Trail) and the red (Tea Berry Trail). Both trails are nearly ready for a full rough brushback.

Much thanks to; Jim (everybody in sNJ knows Jim), @pibbles. @sj_john, and KatanaBoy for their experienced efforts.
20201019_130534.jpgcouncil makes a sweet axe! My hands are torn to shit but white trail is ready for mower!

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Never ridden Wharton but going to be in the area with the kids. Looks like a perfect spot for little guys (7 & 9). Best loop for kids?
Fire tower loop or extend a little bit to hit up part of Huckleberry and return Oak Hill? Thanks!

pibbles

Never ridden Wharton but going to be in the area with the kids. Looks like a perfect spot for little guys (7 & 9). Best loop for kids?
Fire tower loop or extend a little bit to hit up part of Huckleberry and return Oak Hill? Thanks!
This is too late to help but I rode penn branch (orange) this morning and was mostly pretty clear considering the wind, as stated previously the white trail (oak) is clear but is set to be mowed slong with red next week and then they will be pristine. There was ALOT of small stuff down on oak when I took the axe out the other week and cleared the trees...

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is too late to help but I rode penn branch (orange) this morning and was mostly pretty clear considering the wind, as stated previously the white trail (oak) is clear but is set to be mowed slong with red next week and then they will be pristine. There was ALOT of small stuff down on oak when I took the axe out the other week and cleared the trees...
Thanks. Not too late. Probably going Friday or Saturday. Safe to assume that Green is the most highly trafficked and clear?

Do the chiggers hibernate or are they around this time of year?

pibbles

Thanks. Not too late. Probably going Friday or Saturday. Safe to assume that Green is the most highly trafficked and clear?

Do the chiggers hibernate or are they around this time of year?
I didn't get any bites last time out and I didn't spray, but also kept it movin. S'posed to be 70ish on Friday and Saturday so quick spray to be safe but we've dipped down into the 30s so should be good. Green trail is great for beginners (kids) and is clear of anything real big. Have fun!

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
awesome thanks. After getting a double scoop of chiggers last summer riding with the kids I’m going to nuke all of legs just to be safe.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
The work continues. Earlier this week, @sj_john spent a half day sawing/clipping opening-up the TeaBerry Trail (Red Bike). Today @pibbles spent the better part of a day completing the brush back of the northern leg (above the green FireTower Trail) of the Oak Hill Trail (White Bike). Thanks guys!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 4.06.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 4.06.17 PM.png
    541.6 KB · Views: 100

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Got a chance to ride on Saturday with the little ones. Have to say I wish I lived closer to these trails. They reminded me of some of the Phil's Complex trails in Bend, OR. Great work to JORBA and others who maintain these. Thanks for the hard work.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions