Westworld: My 2016 CO/UT trip

This is great - thanks for sharing.

I'm hoping to do many trips like this with my kids someday. Right now they are too young and not skilled enough on the bike to be able handle these rides. Maybe I'll "Scout" it out in the meantime so when it's family trip time, I will be an expert tour guide ;)

That's how I'll sell it to the Wife. Later tonight, I will show the wife and kids this thread so get tidbits of the AWESOMENESS!!!

Just finished an awesome ride on Palisade Rim. Will have details and pix later. Now stopping at Palisade brewery for lunch before ride#2.

image.jpeg

This place is cool - I've been here before. However the following sign was not posted at the time:

image.jpeg

The Fruita crib is pretty lux, but it's on this weird farm. All sorts of animals and kitsch on premises. It's all good though. I'd take the diesel family here for sure.
image.jpeg

After pounding breakfast in the AM we head out. Destination: Palisade Rim Trail (Palisade, CO). I peeped this sweet Dino riding a bike in Fruita on the way.
image.jpeg

Palisade isn't far from Fruita. Ive been there before - it's nice. They're known for their wineries and peaches. On the way the mountains are majestic.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Palisade Rim is fairly new and has gotten high praise. None of us has ever ridden it before. We park right on the banks of the Colorado river.
image.jpeg

It's up up and away for the first 4 miles; about 1,400' to gain. Surprisingly, it's a very enjoyable climb. Nothing killer. Switchbacks, etc. most of the time we are riding a narrow bench cut right on the side of the cliff. It's thrilling in the sense that you need to be dialed in to avoid falling off the side. It's also very scenic and there's a great variety of vegetation too.

Once up top, the trail continues to be a rim hugging narrow track. The trails were made for biking: not too easy but not too hard either (save the peril of falling off the edge). At the top you basically do a loop then work your way down. It's mostly downhill. Speeds get very fast. It is a complete, sustained adrenaline rush. It's so exhilarating that it feels like a drug. My friends all agree. We hammer with varying intensities back down to the car. Basically your speed is governed by the amount of risk you are willing to take. I finish first.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I really enjoyed Palisade Rim. I highly recommend it. We have plans to ride elsewhere this day. Palisade Rim was not too taxing, so it's a perfect ride to start the day.

As mentioned earlier, we stopped at the Palisade Brewery for lunch and beverages. They actually have hops growing on the premises:

image.jpeg

After lunch we drive to grand junction, not a far ride. There we plan to meet up with a couple more riders and hit Butterknife.

We drive up the hills outside of downtown grand junction to the trailhead. It's not well marked and there are no other cars. First trail we hit is Twist and Shout. It's fun fast and flowy. It has a pump track feel to it at times.
image.jpeg

Next we get on Butterknife. Somehow I end up taking the point. This trail is a blast - the first 5 miles are all DH (negative 1000'). It gets fun and furious. It's narrow ST with great views, but not the cliff-edge experience from palisade. I pick the lines to maintain speed, stay on the trail, and keep the seven riders behind me in the flow. It seems to go on and on. We finally decide to pause and regroup/rest. Good idea as my hands were getting numb. When we restart, the trail has some climbing mixed in with more DH. I have lost my flow and fall back in the pack. At this point there's about 4 more miles of Butterknife.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

At the end of the trail it's a jeep road climb back to the car. It's about 4miles 1000'. It's not much fun but hey.

image.png

In the end we had a great day of riding two trail systems.

Last edited:
After Butterknife we head into Grand Junction to return my rental bike. I was very happy with it. I'm pretty sure that'll be the next bike I purchase.

Next we head back to the house to clean up and have dinner. After dinner, the property owner stops by to give us a tour of the haunted maze he setup. It was pretty awesome.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

My flight home is the next day though one of my friends offers me his bike for an early ride. I like this idea because I'll have the time and really wanted to hit the 18 Road trails. Several of my friends also offer to ride with me. This sounds good but I'm pretty skeptical.

When Saturday morning comes I'm not surprised to learn no one is up to ride quite that early. No problem - I grab the bike and head out solo.

Rob, is this section as dicey as it looks? Where the upper section of trail here wraps around the hill it looks pretty sketch!

image-jpeg.41756

Rob,

The 18 Road trails in Fruita are <15 minutes from the house by car. Several miles are on a rough road so you're not going too fast here. All along the foothills and bookcliff mountains lie ahead, getting closer and closer. The anticipation is building...

image.jpeg

I've ridden these trails before and, despite 5 days of incredible riding, I did not want to miss these. There is one trail in particular that is a must: Zippety Doo Dah. It's an intense buffed ST through, up, down, and along the ridge lines of the foothills. There are some very steep ascents and descents. There are blind curves along the hillside. The descents also have serious brake ruts and precipitation ruts. You have to be dialed in.

I have a bit of personal history with this place. The only time I previously rode Zippety, I was lead rider on a rental 29er HT. I had no idea what to expect and got some serious adrenaline going. At one point, after completing a highly exposed ascent, I had to stop because my heart was beating out of my chest. It was like a panic attack. I couldn't move from that spot until my pulse dropped to a sensible level. I wasn't sure if it would. It was the most "scared" I've ever been on a ride. You don't forget stuff like that.

So here I find myself, years later, to see how I react to the trail that's gotten into my head. And yes, this time I'm on a HT again (and it's a single speed)! Also - unlike last time - I'm alone.

image.jpeg

Rob, is this section as dicey as it looks? Where the upper section of trail here wraps around the hill it looks pretty sketch!

Yes yes yes! There is no shame in stopping and walking some of this. The penalty for missing the line is pretty severe. The technique I use is to hug the hillside and NEVER look into the drop off. I have scrapes on the upper sides of my arms from the brush growing along the side I was biased towards. Its worth getting a few scrapes in this situation. There is also a mental aspect at work when you ride lines like these. Sometimes that voice says "stop now".

My friends videoed this run. I'll send it your way when I get my hands on it. I bet you can find some videos up on YouTube as well.

Thin Diesel - Thank you very much for this awesome writeup. As I get up in years I am seriously desparate for some sort of a trip like this. It was really great to read through the postings. Well done and the photos are beautiful.

Thin Diesel - Thank you very much for this awesome writeup. As I get up in years I am seriously desparate for some sort of a trip like this. It was really great to read through the postings. Well done and the photos are beautiful.

Thanks! Glad you've enjoyed this. I've still got the trip finale to write-up...

So I start pedaling my friend's SS on the 18 Road trails to start my last ride of the trip. I'm pressed for time as I have a plane to catch. As mentioned previously, I need to get to Zippety Doo Dah and the route there is Prime Cut to Kessel Run to Frontside. A snap a few pix along the way:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The trails are pretty buff for the most part. I'm getting acclimated to the SS I'm riding but it's a big difference from the 6Fattie. I'm mostly a SS rider back home, so that doesn't bother me. However, the 600mm bars really feel weird. Finally, I reach this point:
image.jpeg

If you're reading this, have ever seen this sign, and taken the left onto Zippety - you know there is a very unique and intense experience ahead. If not- I recommend you look at a YouTube video of this trail. You may experience vertigo just watching someone else ride it.

I start riding and begin to experience a mix of emotions from both the present and the past. This is a very exposed trail and you can see what lies ahead for you.
image.jpeg

Voices in my head are asking "what are you doing here?". I knew I wanted to come back to this trail but really wanted to do that on a FS, especially for the bumpy descents. Now I'm on a narrow-barred HT SS that I've never ridden. There's no dropper either, which really helps the CofG when you need it. Also I'm riding solo, so there's no one around in case the worse should happen...

The trail starts to take me along exposed cliff side narrow ST. It starts getting rocky (sketchy) so I decide to stop and walk a bit. I'm thinking about my family and feeling more risk averse at the moment. Here's what I saw at this point:
image.jpeg

I get back on the bike and continue. The views are unbelievable. What an awesome landscape for a bike trail.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

As I get up along the ridge line there's no left or right comfort zones - both sides fall away. This is where the vertigo creeps in.
image.jpeg

Fortunately I handle this and soon come to my first descent. It's speedy and real bumpy/rutted. I tell myself "damn it you've done this before on a hard tail you can do it again". The pep talk works.

On this trail many of the descents are immediately followed by steep ascents. You need to carry your speed into them and pedal your a$$ off to complete it. I nail the first ascent but I have to walk the next two - not enough legs/lungs to do these on the SS. Plus it's a pretty scary concept to stall out on one of these ascents - you risk tumbling a long ways down. Even walking them is sketchy.

I end up completing the trail but still pretty intimidated by it. I'll definitely return one day. This trail has a special appeal to me.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

As a final summary, I got 7 great rides in about 5 whole days of this trip. Even doing so there are many trail systems I did not get to. There's just that much out there in the western CO / eastern UT area. And it's pretty much all incredible.

image.png

It's not fair to rank the trails or rides but I can list what I did in order of my preference for a return trip.

1. Whole Enchilada
2. Stay in Moab and hit Captain Ahab.
3. 18 Road
4. Palisade Rim

If definitely repeat those four. Beyond that I'd hit up Mag7 (Moab) and some of the Fruita systems I missed (Loma, Kokopelli).

Navajo Rocks is worth a return and so is Butterknife (to a lesser extent). I would not return to Slickrock.

There is some regret as I head to the plane to return home.
image.jpeg

However I'm more than fortunate to have had the week I just had. Aside from the awesome riding, the good times with the guys was an equally important part of the trip.

But I miss my family. It's going to be great seeing their faces and getting a huge welcome back. Plus Sunday is my birthday so what more can one ask for?

HB!

again, awesome trip, and great writing/pics.

Back
Top Bottom