Weird headset fitment older Cervelo

ebarker9

Just recently replaced the headset bearings on my 2008 Cervelo RS with an EC90 fork. According to Cervelo, "The RS uses 1-1/8" integrated bearings with 36 x 45 degree races as both upper and lower bearings". I purchased replacement Cane Creek bearings: https://www.canecreek.com/product/h...artridge-bearing-36-x-45-degree-41mm-baa1054/

They look identical to the bearings that I removed, but I have a gap between the fork and head tube and between the top cap and head tube that I don't remember before the replacement. The original lower bearing was falling apart when I removed it so I can't reassemble it to confirm, but using the original top bearing, it reassembles the same way. In particular, I don't understand how the lower bearing is sitting on the crown race. Am I crazy or is this how it should look? IMG_20190519_210713.jpgIMG_20190519_210816.jpgIMG_20190519_210651.jpgIMG_20190522_195339.jpgIMG_20190519_205840.jpg

Confirm that the thing you placed the bearing on isn't actually the bottom of the original bearing (as in, you removed a top part, a row of bearings, and the bottom portion).

If it isn't, have the race pulled (you need a sharpened automotive bearing puller, or take it to a shop), and replace it with the appropriate CC race (assuming here that there isn't an integrated race on the fork). The 40s have a seal on them that will help keep crap out of your frame. If the crown race seat area is carbon fiber, use a hacksaw or Dremel to slot the crown race, and install it with the split in front--keeps the rear, which needs the seal, intact.

Confirm that the thing you placed the bearing on isn't actually the bottom of the original bearing (as in, you removed a top part, a row of bearings, and the bottom portion).

If it isn't, have the race pulled (you need a sharpened automotive bearing puller, or take it to a shop), and replace it with the appropriate CC race (assuming here that there isn't an integrated race on the fork). The 40s have a seal on them that will help keep crap out of your frame. If the crown race seat area is carbon fiber, use a hacksaw or Dremel to slot the crown race, and install it with the split in front--keeps the rear, which needs the seal, intact.

You know, I bet you're right. There is a fair chance that the bearing is sitting on part of the original bearing or the race needs to be replaced with a cc item. Very helpful suggestions, thank you. I have a pretty wide assortment of bearing pullers so bet that I could modify one if necessary. I'll take another look this evening.

Looks like just the (slightly rusted) crown race to me. Bearing definitely seems to be sitting high to me. Guess it would be worth trying a cc crown race?IMG_20190523_180952.jpgIMG_20190523_180919.jpg

They tend to be a bit lower, but not by much. I would call Cervelo and confirm the height of the bearing. It's uncommon, but they do change.

Cervelo's response was the following:

"These bearings look a bit tall, Bearings can be available in different heights, cane creek specifically. The bike was spec'd with an FSA headset, whose bearings are not sold with height as a third dimensional option. Aesthetically these gaps are not ideal, regarding the stability of the installation, I would have this inspected in person by a Cervélo retailer."

When I got the frame originally the bearings were marked "Tange Seiki". So I kind of have no idea at this point. Suppose it could be worth bringing to a shop. Just trying to get a bit more life out of this bike before my new bike arrives.

Tange Sekai is a respected manufacturer of bearings. No problem there--bike shops can buy "FSA" bearings from QBP.

Back
Top Bottom