Wawayanda State Park Conditions

trekfan

trees still down all over the place on red dot. called the office again today and the nice person on the phone brought up the downed tree on the walkway near the main beach that still hasn't been cleared after a month. they put up caution tape but left the tree there. that is to say, there's not much maintenance going on at the park at this time...

Will

just a heads up to anyone riding splitrock. Be careful, the suspended log bridge with the chicken wire on it (close to the Buddha side) is out of commission, I wouldn't try to cross it. Looks like one of the support beams fell off.

Mr.Moto

just a heads up to anyone riding splitrock. Be careful, the suspended log bridge with the chicken wire on it (close to the Buddha side) is out of commission, I wouldn't try to cross it. Looks like one of the support beams fell off.

Thanks for mentioning that bridge issue here. Rode wayway last week and that bridge was in pretty bad shape but forgot to post up.

Kaleidopete

Last week, I heard waway was a swamp. Has it improved at all?
Depends where you go, a lot of trails are great, until you come to the mud hole that has collected in spots. There is still lots of water in the park and streams are flowing strongly. I think any trail there is going to have its bad spots. I've never seen it this wet in the park.

chris12453

They are definitely extremely wet in spots. As Pete said, I have not seen the park wet like this before. I'm cross riding the park (not going super deep) and it's very soft and slick. I may or may not go in with a mountain bike this morning just to check it out. I can say, Hofferlin from county road to ranger station will be okay. Double pond and probably the bridge from campsite to red and double pond will be under water.

I am going to head out on a limb and say stay on the Cherry ridge side. So hemlock, pickle, tombstone, etc. Those trails should be better. Sitting bull is probably another one that is okay if you wanted to stay in and around park.

mtbiker87

That is a pretty fair assessment. I come in from the Canistear side of Cherry Ridge road cause it's near my house. The single track trails mentioned are ridable, but getting to them is a mess. The double track is filled with lake like puddles that cover the entire road in many places. Cabin trail still is super wet, and there is erosion damage here there through the area. So yeah, you can ride it, but it's not as fun as usual.

chris12453

I'm going to hit up a ride, just not sure oh how I want to do it just yet. Might be better off on the road and some cross. I can come in county and hit hofferlin to ranger station. Iron mountain will be wet, but when is that trail/road ever not wet. I usually go to the rock bridge on pump house if I am doing a quicker ride then up to wingdam to double and and out. Maybe it makes sense to hit sitting bull to cherry then out to Clinton to or to south end to cherry and out. I'm going to live at ringwood, sterling and jungle this week and probably port jervis next weekend. I haven't trail ridden wayway in probably 3 weeks from this rain.

chris12453

The rock bridge on pump house is as well. Double pond is completely flooded out. I couldn't even see the trail or the rocks to ride on. Walked a good majority of it though as off the rocks it was close to knee deep.

Kaleidopete

The rock bridge on pump house is as well. Double pond is completely flooded out. I couldn't even see the trail or the rocks to ride on. Walked a good majority of it though as off the rocks it was close to knee deep.
a photo of Doublepond trail
Doublepond flooded.jpg

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Wow, looks lik a swamp. I have been waiting all year for that place to dry out. I may have to wait until next year :(.

Kaleidopete

Wow, looks lik a swamp. I have been waiting all year for that place to dry out. I may have to wait until next year :(.
Depends where you ride....
He's walking on the stone trail that runs along the actual road part. The road part is about two feet deep.

Last edited:

chris12453

I think Pete will agree with me on this (especially us living right by the park), this is the wettest I have ever seen it. Even after winter, I have never ridden with it so flooded out. Right now, some of us have been going up to port jervis on the weekends because of how wet the trails are.

Kaleidopete

Today Saturday, I see it's drying out nicely. The usual wet spots are still wet, but they're wet in a drought.
Maybe @huffster can add something to this, he had a nice ride in the park today.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions