Wawayanda Route Description

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
From MTBR:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=252906

Park at the boat house parking lot.
From the boathouse parking lot facing the lake go left on the dirt road and follow it along the lake and go down the hill to the furnace area. See two outhouse bathrooms go left over the wood bridge and follow this out through the campsites. This is called double pond trail. (should see blazes). Follow this a bit and when you pass the wood foot bridge at the bottom of the hill you will see a trail to the right. This is Red Dot. Take this making sure you stay on the main trail. ( there is a split a little bit out with a tree down..don't go this way) just bear left here. Follow this for a whil and you will go climb and then go down and eventually end up at Nature Jim's rock bridge. Basically stay on the red dot trail to the end. Go right at the end onto Cherry Ridge Road. Go about 1/4 mile to the top of a hill and go left. Sign indicates Old Coal trail. Take old coal and take the second right turn. This will take you to the gasline. follow the gasline up and over some short but steep climbs. When you come to the end or the T you have two options here. This is known as Turkey ridge. Go left and go another 1/4 mile and bear right onto Pines Trail. (Unmarked at this point) On Pines you will go over a short 4' rock bridge and a log immediately follwoing this if you see this you know you are on Pines. Climb this and stay on pines tothe top of the gasline. at the top go straight across onto Rattlesnake(unmarked) take rattlesnake down. This is a newer trail so its not as worn in but easy to follow none the less. take this to the end. Cross Turkey ridge and you will see another single track. This is Pickel trail. follow this along lake lookout to the end. at the end go left around the downed tree and climb the two short steep hills. at the top go right onto white dot. follow white dot out to the end. go right onto cherry ridge road. go around the red gate and take a left down the hill onto laurel pond. follow laurel pond down the hill and look for a left. take this left this is sitting bear. (unmarked). this follows the lake back. you will see where this trail is worn in and used. this is about 1.5 miles and you will end up back at wing dam. go left onto wing dam and take this back to the lake.

This will be close to your 10 mile route.

Also a note for Jason at the end of the thread:

"Also, i used mtbnj.com for directions to the park, like i always do, and it leads you to a back entrance that is closed. So be warned."

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
"Also, i used mtbnj.com for directions to the park, like i always do, and it leads you to a back entrance that is closed. So be warned."

That's one of the problems with using google maps. I can only point out the locations and google handles the rest. I've been caught a few times myself but I trust those directions more then random ones I find on the web anyway.

Like always, I'll look into any changes in the park but if it's not documented, it's hard to update without locals to help me out.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
Just a quick look at the maps and it looks like there is a considerable difference.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
Okay, I updated the directory. Thanks for pointing out the change.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
If you follow signs for Wawayanda from Rt 23 they lead you to the main entrance.

I'll be getting a gps for xmas and i'll help out with ringwood and wawayanda. any interest in expanding into the areas of surrounding states?

Last edited:

crash

According to NYNJTC and Wawayanda Ranger, pipeline construction is completed and Cabin, Turkey Ridge, and Old Coal Trails are now officially re-opened for all users, as well as the Terrance Pond area, across from P7 on Clinton Road to the east, for hiking only on the blue and yellow trails. Is is raining in NJ? I am in Florida hitting tennis balls and 85 and sunny.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rain is stopping but we recieved a good soaking yesterday. I'd stay in sunny Fl and play with your balls for a few more days until things dry up here.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions