Watchung Reservation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGerd

In my opinion, there should be no common ground with bikers in the strictly literal sense, meaning on the hiking trails of Watchung Reservation. At other venues, yes, but not here.

The bratty bullies are the ones who have been repeatedly breaking the law and displaying similar belligerence on line. Once again, please respect the ban or face fine and/or confiscation.

May I suggest that you contact the Park / County police and inform them of the law breaking cyclist's and let them enforce said law.
What reason other than to stir the pot do you have to come on to this board? Honestly your posts seem to have the most threating tone to them, with your" DO THIS OR FACE THAT" mantra. Your stance of, there is no discussion there is my way and that's it make's you come off as a small bratty child. Not an adult who's willing to listen to reason, and engage in debate be it pro bike or pro ban.

Last edited:

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What kind of a question is that? Yes, I have and likely will in the future.

One of curiosity. I'd be interested in knowing what other places you've hiked, and what you thought of them. How were the trail conditions, what other user groups did you encounter, would you go back, etc. If you are looking for places to hike where you won't run into any bikers (or other hikers or anyone else for that matter) I can give you some recommendations. There are still places in NJ where you can go spend hours in the woods without seeing another soul. I personally love it.

I have never ridden at Watchung, and based on what I saw when I was there for the TM a few weeks ago, I have no desire to until JORBA is allowed to get in there and fix the years of neglect.

rlb

We all know that JORBA and others are and have been working with the officials that hold the keys. Riding there now will NOT HELP.

Yes and it's a shame that some people acted like the park was open for business based on third party information, despite the pleas of JORBA to wait until there was an official announcement. However this is representative of only a few mountain bikers, and not the majority who respect the process.

Despite hikeronly's attempt to bait us into argument (I picture them like an angry vegan storming into a burger joint waving around a "meat is murder" sign) this person has probably actually helped us by reminding us that whatever was happening was not going unnoticed.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Yes and it's a shame that some people acted like the park was open for business based on third party information, despite the pleas of JORBA to wait until there was an official announcement. However this is representative of only a few mountain bikers, and not the majority who respect the process.

Despite hikeronly's attempt to bait us into argument (I picture them like an angry vegan storming into a burger joint waving around a "meat is murder" sign) this person has probably actually helped us by reminding us that whatever was happening was not going unnoticed.

I think he's just a dude that doesn't want his evening stroll interrupted by a biker. I doubt he's done any real hiking, you know, where you have to open a map, look at vertical feet, miles, maybe even spend a night or 2 outside. More like those guys you see at Ringwood, walking in circles around the botanical gardens with their ski-poles, giant packs, and khakis, "hiking".

kidzach

The fact that this sock puppet has stated their should be no common ground with hikers and bikers shows his/hers closed mindedness. Not sure who he/she is trying to represent, but I assure you it is NOT the hiking community. We have all come across thousands of hikers in our time and 99 out of 100 times have had a pleasurable experience in doing so. So as others have stated, this particular person has the whole "not in my backyard" thing going on. Let's just talk among the adults here.

The most frustrating thing here is reading an argumentative essay, without the "why". I have not read a reason other than "because it says so" or "Google it". Sounds like my mother combined with a middle schooler who can't back up a term paper.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I find the tone of the OP and subsequent rebuttals (of some) quite irksome. Perhaps more so than the actual issue.

Oh wait, I'm sorry. Apparently I must have inadvertently logged in to MTBR.

Damn my fat fingers!

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I doubt he's done any real hiking, you know, where you have to open a map, look at vertical feet, miles, maybe even spend a night or 2 outside. More like those guys you see at Ringwood, walking in circles around the botanical gardens with their ski-poles, giant packs, and khakis, "hiking".

This is very helpful.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Alright, I would say the usefulness of this thread has run its course. If you would like to speak to me separately, feel free to reach out to me in a private conversation. But this thread is not longer useful in a positive direction.

If you start a new one I will put you in the box for a few days.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok a couple of things:

1. There is a freeholders meeting this thursday (August 18) at 7pm in Elizabeth where we will have a chance to speak. We would like to get the word out to as many bikers as possible so we can get a strong showing to this. I will put up another post about this separate from this one.

2. I have learned more about our hiking only friend this evening. Very interesting stuff and I have to say, regardless of what he says here he is misrepresenting himself in 1 of 2 places - either here or in his email. Just a note for those who try to play multiple sides like this. Don't register for the message board with the same email address you use to correspond with the JORBA president with.

3. For those of you who want to give back to a park that actually welcomes bikers and their volunteer efforts, @Kirt is holding a TM at Chimney Rock this Wednesday. I will be there and I would love to talk shop with anyone who wants to show up. We'll be building up a small section of new trail and fixing up a section we built at the last full TM session.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom