Vietnam & Other Area Trails

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
What does any of this have to do with Vietnam?
CC4D31F3-2E08-4598-B6C8-BBAC1D2F0C68.gif

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bringing this back up. Trip to work HQ on June 20-22 and I’m looking at Vietnam again plus the Sutton place you suggested @Jmann plus maybe 1 other in CT. Trying to find stuff in between I can swing by on the drive.

Ever been to Case Mountain?

Also as the date approaches I need more direction on Sutton. I have your file but want to be as prepared as I can be.

Jmann

Never been to case mountain. Looks promising. Burr pond near Torrington is good. People seem to like rockland a lot, I rode it once and maybe didn’t find the good stuff. I’ve never had any trouble finding great gravel in Connecticut but have had a hard time finding good singletrack. Big river in RI is fun if you want to see bizarro allaire. At least it gives you a chance to pedal hard without navigating rocks like everything north of there.

The lot for sutton is at:
Dropped pin
There’s not much parking but I’ve never had any issues.
Par 5, mistress, and TT trail are all on mtb project. They are all good trails but the new stuff is really cool. Strava might help with the segment explorer, but the trails are well marked inside the park.
So if you ride past the gate you have three options: take the singletrack immediately to the left and that will take you to carcass canyon/ridge runner, which is a good place to start.
Go straight and you will see high roller soon on the left or stay straight on the fireroad to go deeper into the park.
Take the singletrack to the right which will take you to par 5.
Even if you get lost you can usually see singletrack from the fireroads, there’s a lot of trails packed into the area.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
I have ridden Case and it's good and techy. Will post my strava when I find it. Powder Ridge is also near there if you wanna do lift access. Trail bikes are fine there.

phillychris498

Case is fun but is a maze. If you're only stopping briefly on your way through Connecticut, I absolutely recommend riding Northern Exposure. It's a part of Rockland, but is separated from the trail system so it's impossible to get lost. 4.5 mile tech trail with a ton of really unique and fun features:

Also, I'm now in Boston, so if you want to come up closer my way let me know.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
AND I'M BACK!

Case is fun but is a maze. If you're only stopping briefly on your way through Connecticut, I absolutely recommend riding Northern Exposure. It's a part of Rockland, but is separated from the trail system so it's impossible to get lost. 4.5 mile tech trail with a ton of really unique and fun features:

Ah, holy shit this place was fun. I did that loop plus another set of trails in the main park while on the way up to Boston today. I mean it's like this whole park was designed by someone with almost exactly my skill set as a way to get better. Everything here was just about in my comfort zone with a few things that pushed the edges.

Goddamn this park was a blast. I didn't know what to expect but I have to admit there were a few times I was talking to myself and laughing out loud today I was enjoying it so much. The log ride teeter-totters are brilliant.

Jmann

I need to check out the northern exposure trail. Not too far off 95 so I should get a chance this summer. Haven’t ridden rockland in years, guessing there’s a lot of new trails.

phillychris498

AND I'M BACK!

Ah, holy shit this place was fun. I did that loop plus another set of trails in the main park while on the way up to Boston today. I mean it's like this whole park was designed by someone with almost exactly my skill set as a way to get better. Everything here was just about in my comfort zone with a few things that pushed the edges.

Goddamn this park was a blast. I didn't know what to expect but I have to admit there were a few times I was talking to myself and laughing out loud today I was enjoying it so much. The log ride teeter-totters are brilliant.
I’m very glad my recommendation hit. Northern exposure is one of my favorite trails in the northeast for the reasons that you listed. All the A lines when I first rode it were just at my limit.

Jmann

I rode Lynn woods and Vietnam this week. Both were a blast. My only experience with Vietnam was 15 years ago as a newbie riding a single speed while seeing guys on full dh rigs.

Those places represent my favorite type of riding. I love step ups and big rollers, and love how granite grips when climbing. I ended up having to session a lot of sections since I was riding them blind for the first time, but the multiple lines are fun once you understand what your looking at.

I had planned on riding woody hill and rockland today, but rain and a hangover killed that.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
OK for those of you following this thread...

@Jmann
@Sevenz
@phillychris498
@JimN
...or anyone else watching.

Suppose you have a Tuesday this week, with 5-6 hours of daylight with absolutely nothing to do but ride your bike. Assume your starting point is that mid/east-MA area (Milford). Also assume that you COULD drive 2 hours before your work day starts, do your work day from 2 hours away, and then ride. So the radius is like 2 hours from that start point.

Where would you go for a good 3-4 hour ride up there?

johnbryanpeters

@Jmann
@Sevenz
@phillychris498
@JimN

Suppose you have a Tuesday this week, with 5-6 hours of daylight with absolutely nothing to do but ride your bike. Assume your starting point is that mid/east-MA area (Milford). Also assume that you COULD drive 2 hours before your work day starts, do your work day from 2 hours away, and then ride. So the radius is like 2 hours from that start point.

Borderland

Jmann

That’s a tough one. If I was in your shoes I’d probably ride Lynne, but we know your thoughts on that.

I’ll always suggest Sutton as I think it’s unique and really fun. There and Vietnam are my go to’s in the area.

Going away from rocks, Big river is neat and has tons of mileage. Otis is cool as well but I’m guessing you don’t want to be driving towards the cape.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That’s a tough one. If I was in your shoes I’d probably ride Lynne, but we know your thoughts on that.

I’ll always suggest Sutton as I think it’s unique and really fun. There and Vietnam are my go to’s in the area.

Going away from rocks, Big river is neat and has tons of mileage. Otis is cool as well but I’m guessing you don’t want to be driving towards the cape.

Lynn - I really either need to follow someone and/or take it far slower and/or do it when it's not 96 degrees.

Sutton - is that worth 3-4 hours?

Vietnam I will ride Monday, and I can ride it every time I'm there.

Jmann

Sutton - is that worth 3-4 hours?
Depends how much you like rock features. Cause there’s lots of them. It’s also pretty slow and twisty, but it flows well enough to not feel like a grind. There’s nothing harder or sketchier than the small/medium features at Vietnam, but they are a lot more consistent.

If you’d rather ride fast and pedal hard, big river might be a good option. It’s a huge place, part of it feels like allaire, other parts are rocky. I’ve ridden there a few times, but always on borrowed time, never could get more than an hour. It seemed pretty cool, the locals really like it. FYI they have mandatory orange blaze requirements for fall/winter hunting season.

I’ve ridden wrentham and foxboro (f Gilbert hills) state forests. There’s some cool stuff there but they are confusing, and some of the trails are moto legal and pretty beat up.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Depends how much you like rock features. Cause there’s lots of them. It’s also pretty slow and twisty, but it flows well enough to not feel like a grind. There’s nothing harder or sketchier than the small/medium features at Vietnam, but they are a lot more consistent.

I love the rock features in MA. I’ve got a solid 2 hour Vietnam loop I do when I’m there now. In reality I could spend 3 just at Vietnam alone but I ride there enough and want to get out somewhere new/different.

I tried to follow your Sutton loop last year and I got turned around. All those trails are off-map on TF so I’m running mostly blind there. I’ll give that a consideration along with Borderlands.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you’d rather ride fast and pedal hard, big river might be a good option. It’s a huge place, part of it feels like allaire, other parts are rocky. I’ve ridden there a few times, but always on borrowed time, never could get more than an hour. It seemed pretty cool, the locals really like it. FYI they have mandatory orange blaze requirements for fall/winter hunting season.

Ok just checked this out on TF. I’ll add it to the someday list. Goddamn it’s big.

Jmann

I love the rock features in MA. I’ve got a solid 2 hour Vietnam loop I do when I’m there now. In reality I could spend 3 just at Vietnam alone but I ride there enough and want to get out somewhere new/different.

I tried to follow your Sutton loop last year and I got turned around. All those trails are off-map on TF so I’m running mostly blind there. I’ll give that a consideration along with Borderlands.
Yeah, it’s confusing. The heat map layer on TF sort of helps. It’s also crazy cause when you’re riding you can see so many other trails all around you in the woods.

This place also is really cool, worth it if you're closer to the cape:

Sevenz

@Jmann
@Sevenz
@phillychris498
@JimN

Vietnam and Diamond Hill are our go-tos in that area... I haven't been but I've heard Lincoln Woods is fun...

phillychris498

You could put together a really cool sampling of singletrack up on the north shore of Massachusetts. School street to red rocks to mt anne is about a 15-18 mile, 3-4 ride of singletrack.

Top Bottom