Vietnam & Other Area Trails

phillychris498

@phillychris498
@Jmann

I have ridden Lynn woods in the past but I have to say that my memory of it is not as a gnarly place. Though I may be mis-remembering Middlesex Fells as Lynn woods. You know I was drinking a bit more back then, among other things. So I may be mistaken.

Things of note:

1. I am literally in a hotel .9 miles from Vietnam so it's sort of a no-brainer to hit it
2. My work HQ is in Hopkinton so I will be up there again, probably a lot in the future
3. All my clients are in the Boston area, one in Chelmsford which is a likely trip later this summer
4. This short trip probably does not afford a trip up to Lynn plus the other place, but I did add it to my travel map for future reference

Check out this description of a trail in Woody Hill:
I will be living in Boston this summer. Please contact my receptionist to schedule a tour of north shore trails.

Meanwhile, enjoy Vietnam. I think that 14ish mile loop I posted in this thread is a great all-encompassing tour.

rule of thumb: if you’re riding the powerlines, assume there is a ginormous feature that lies ahead. The biggest features of the park are over there.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not much. I was talking to a rider from the area, asking him what he usually rides, and it was the same stuff I usually ride (diamond hill, Lincoln woods, Sutton) but he said to check out woody hill. Supposedly it’s newish and really fun. I’m hoping to check it out next time I’m up there.

Rode there this afternoon on the way up:

I paused the gps like 3 minutes in and didn't realize it for a while so the first 20-30 minutes got cut off. I would say this park is very good, not amazing, but solid. I guess "standard New England" describes the terrain in terms of soft because of pine needles and rooty because pine needles. There are a lot of rocks here and they use them really well. I would say the park could be even better but it's really easy to get frustrated trying to navigate it. About 1:45 in and I just gave up after getting off trail for the 40th time. Some trails are marked, but the vast majority are not.

If you have someone to ride with, that would probably erase all of that down side.

Some solid features with clearly marked go-arounds. A & B lines, etc. It's quite a mix of things for sure. I would make the time to go up and hit it if you're in the area. Like I posted elsewhere, I will not make sure I ride it again this trip but I will likely hit it again in the future.

goldsbar

I wonder what the pandemic has done to Lynn Woods. Only went once for about three hours. Very raw unless the trail was a jump line; no cheater rocks unless they were REALLY needed. Something about 90 degree angles there. If you're rolling towards the end of a large rock/ledge, count on it being close to 90 degrees.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I rode Vietnam this morning and it's definitely worth the name:

Woody Hill was more "fun & flowy" compared to this, but that is because Vietnam is definitely not flowy at all. Lots of rocks and rocks. You definitely need to be on your A game here, and at 6am I was not on my A game. Rocks were a little slick and I probably had too much air in my tires. But this place is a lot of fun, at least the part that I saw. I did half of one of the loops plus some other stuff leading up to it. But then I had to bail and hit a town trail to get back to the hotel. Incidentally, there's a trail that runs from my hotel to the park, but it's indirect.

Some goddamn insane stuff here, for sure. A few things that are beyond above my pay grade. Like my pay grade cubed.

That playground area is fun AF.

I'll be back. Maybe tomorrow morning but we'll see.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Jmann - what do you know about Mendon Town Forest?

I've read good things about this place. Also considering Diamond Hill.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
@Jmann - what do you know about Mendon Town Forest?

I've read good things about this place. Also considering Diamond Hill.
Haven’t ridden there. There’s tons of stuff on Trailforks in the blackstone valley are either new or I never knew existed. I usually don’t have a lot of ride time when I’m in the area so I usually hit what I know.

Diamond hill is worth the trip. There (and Lincoln woods) are mostly enduro trails with lots of jumps drops and features. I think I’ve hit almost everything on my hardtail so it’s not crazy sketchy. Like most of the trails in the area it’s confusing, as trails crisscross themselves. If you go, start with the stuff west of diamond hill road.

I’m actually working in westborough Thursday, not sure of you schedule but I might be able to give you a tour of Sutton (not that I’m an expert). I’d be riding somewhere in the 3-6pm window.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’m actually working in westborough Thursday, not sure of you schedule but I might be able to give you a tour of Sutton (not that I’m an expert). I’d be riding somewhere in the 3-6pm window.

Thanks for the offer! I'm heading out tomorrow afternoon. I think I am going to hit Diamond Hill early morning then head into the office. If I have any energy left I may hit the road and try something in Connecticut on the way home but more than likely I will drive straight through, I suppose it depends on the traffic outlook.

Sevenz

I rode Vietnam this morning and it's definitely worth the name:

Woody Hill was more "fun & flowy" compared to this, but that is because Vietnam is definitely not flowy at all. Lots of rocks and rocks. You definitely need to be on your A game here, and at 6am I was not on my A game. Rocks were a little slick and I probably had too much air in my tires. But this place is a lot of fun, at least the part that I saw. I did half of one of the loops plus some other stuff leading up to it. But then I had to bail and hit a town trail to get back to the hotel. Incidentally, there's a trail that runs from my hotel to the park, but it's indirect.

Some goddamn insane stuff here, for sure. A few things that are beyond above my pay grade. Like my pay grade cubed.

That playground area is fun AF.

I'll be back. Maybe tomorrow morning but we'll see.
We use Vietnam as a meeting spot early every spring to meet up and ride with friends from the north (VT & ME). Place has everything...Some of the longest/steepest rock rolls i've ever done are there...Diamond hill actually has the longest. For us its about sessioning all the different zones and features not really trying to rack up miles...but there are miles to be had if that is what you are into. Some of what Vietnam has to offer

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I hit Diamond Hill today - cut it short after 4 runs. The park was fine and it was good to check out. But again this morning, definitely no A game at 6:30 am, and a place like this you not only need your A game but you really need to know the runs. Hard to just go and hit these features blind. In the end almost all of them were rollable at least, but I would say "almost" and not "all" which can get you into trouble.

It's fun but was way smaller than I suspected. I did the up-down-repeat side and called it a day when I had a really low speed flop into the mud while riding through some flooded out low area. Sort of an indication it was time to go.

Will come back one day but I'm thinking all of these parks need either repeat visits or a 3-hour block to explore.

Also, it was a little beat up from the enduro they just had there.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I kinda feel like this is going to kick start your 6-8am riding game. This is certainly the time to do it, starting to get light around 5 these days.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I kinda feel like this is going to kick start your 6-8am riding game. This is certainly the time to do it, starting to get light around 5 these days.

A little thread drift but yeah, I did say to D that I may need to consider riding early some days. Problem being that some days I am playing dad get kids to school.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
A little thread drift but yeah, I did say to D that I may need to consider riding early some days. Problem being that some days I am playing dad get kids to school.
Enter summertime and whoops, thought this was your thread. Feel free to move.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I rode Sutton today, if you’re back in the area I recommend checking it out. The only trails I can compare it to is tiger blood and black magic, maybe rhino and boon. It’s very twisty with seemingly never ending step ups, spines and rollers. But it hits the sweet spot of being technical but everything is rideable and nothing too sketchy. It’s one of my favorite trails systems, but has almost no maps and photos never do it justice. It also has a lot of new trail building going on.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I rode Sutton today, if you’re back in the area I recommend checking it out. The only trails I can compare it to is tiger blood and black magic, maybe rhino and boon. It’s very twisty with seemingly never ending step ups, spines and rollers. But it hits the sweet spot of being technical but everything is rideable and nothing too sketchy. It’s one of my favorite trails systems, but has almost no maps and photos never do it justice. It also has a lot of new trail building going on.

I was gonna ask you for a link but...rock lobster.

Top Bottom