User friendly route for Ringwood…

Nickbee

This worked well for M Dickerson (Thanks to Fogerson) so I figured I’d try it for Ringwood. Looking for a user friendly route for Ringwood. By user friendly I mean not too technical. Some is ok. And easy to navigate. And a route that would take about 2 - 3 hours to complete by a beginner / intermediate rider.

I do have the good Ringwood trail map from the NY/NJ trail conference and a compass… I usually park at Shepherd Lake but I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks!

I find Ringwood much harder to navigate a route, there are tons of intersections. A compass would be very helpful. To me, Rwood seems like that type of place to just explore, looping in as much singletrack as possible. You can always do the raceloop from Shephards lake which is marked out. But you are going to see an awesome technical section on that.

If you liked MD you should explore Allamuchy, similar and bigger.

Here is a loop I did last weekend. I went from Skyline to Ringwood, rode a decent loop at Ringwood, and rode back.

If you are looking at the Ringwood part of the loop the trails I did are (plus or minus a trail or two):

Ringwood Ramapo trail (Red) to Erskine Access to 6 Br. to Double S to Erskine View Trail to Ringwood Ramapo Trail to Skylands Trail to Race Trail Past the Gate House to Blueberry Way Trail to Pierson Ridge Rd/ Trail to the Crossover Trail to Yellow Trail to Blue Trail.

Lost yet? I recommend parking at the Ryerson School and riding up the red trail to 6 Br. and Renegade (not on map).

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/7738815

Engignar, that loop would take more that 2-3 hrs for an intermdiate / beginner, assuming they make it out alive.

I thought someone wrote that Renegade is "Cats Nest" on the map. Is it not?

d00de! that is not USER FRIENDLY at all ;) You only have moving time, if you add the stops it was a lot more than that...i know, i know, the beer from the previous night was making me :drooling:

Stick to Sheperds Lake and do the Race Track loop, after all, there is a beginner CAT and they do the Race track, so you should be fine.

start at sheperds lake lot...start on the fire road....keep going, you will see a 'hiking' red trail to your right, then a steep washed out climb also on your right...keep going straight until next intersection make a right on to another fire road. Next 4 way (easy now ;)) intersection, make a left...follow that fire road...it will become a long down hill one...at the bottom make right, still on Fire road (oh, this sounds boring, all fire road :hmmm:) at some point you will see a single track trail head to your right. Take it. that is the race track loop. it starts as a rocky twisty climb...but dont get discouraged, keep going, you will come up to the gas/pipe line. shoot straight and keep on race track...it will have some rocks and climbs but a sweet decent later on..keep pushing. Eventually you will come out to another fire road, cross it, keep straight on Race track, it starts with a short steep climb, but after that is pretty much all downhill to Sheperds lake. If you didnt have enough...Rinse & Repeat :D

yes, Renegade = Cats Nest = "sweet single track" ;)

elzoller, that is good little loop, but that is some of the most technical sections on the course. I love it, but for a beginner/intermediate rider, it cold get them killed!;)

If he said intermediate rider i could see sending him that way, but the beginner part scares me to direct him there. (IMO)

Instead of going right at the bottom of elzoller's directions, hang a left and follow the race course all the way around until it takes you back to that 'death march' climb. (Well not so much a death march any more since the switchbacks were put in) but if I were you, I would bypass that DM climb and take it back to the bottom of that first downhill (where I told you to make the left instead of elzoller's right) and go back up that downhill you first came down, then follow the trail down and around the lake (the way you came in in the beginning) back to the parking lot. Do that 2-3 times, that should fill your time as a beginner/intermediate rider.

Going up that (as I called it 'death march') climb is great fun but super technical. Unless you get someone to take you up there, I would skip it as a beginner/intermediate. Going the way I suggested is longer and more fire road and some shorter technical sections.

let me know if you want me to show you around, I love riding there.

Rode the White and Yellow trails out by Bear Swamp Lake this last weekend and those trails are amazing.

EZ presented a good (albeit short) route.
The only really tough parts are the initial climb up the switchbacks and the tight corners.

The only really tough parts are the initial climb up the switchbacks and the tight corners.

He said he was a beginner/intermediate rider. The ride up the Switch Backs is an easier part of that loop EZ mentioned. I would not send someone describing themselves as beginner up there. Just my opinion but it's pretty technical terrain heading down to the lake.:popcorn:

i have never been to ringwood. is there any1 that could give me a tour. i have a heavy 40+lb kona coiler so the climbs kick my ass so i need someone that wouldn't mind a little hike-a-bike. please pm if your interested

im interested in the ride, i go to ringwood alot but could still use the help of a useful experienced ringwood trail rider, im an intermediate rider and have done the race loop often, i still seem to get lost the further i venture in

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions