Upgrade: shifters, brake levers, drive train

Pathfinder Dave

Hiya,

Want to upgrade no idea where to start.

My bike, entry level Fisher from 2010:
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2010&brand=Gary+Fisher&model=Wahoo

-Really want a better shifting experience. Lots of slipping, sloppy, noisy sounds and never seems to be on the right gear.

-Integrated shifters and brake levers are feeling clunky. Definitely want separate brakes and shifters.

Don't know my options. Get a better 3x8 set, if anyone even makes those anymore? Don't need the newest and best, just better. What will I need? The works, hubs crank, chain, shifters? Any sites that would help walk me through this stuff?

Any help appreciated, even just a point in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

What is your budget and where/what do you usually ride your bike on? What are your mechanical skills, or will you be going to a shop to have the work done?

Shimano XT 1x11 group set is the best bang for your buck. I paired with a wolftooth front ring. Not sure what the XT option costs for the front. I think the wolftooth was $75? The rest was over $250 or so? How's that sound?

Budget is significantly less than a new bike, around $200? Would stretch a little if I had to.

Usually ride 6mr, Lewis Morris, Chimney Rock . Not much skill/exp with this stuff but doing what I can at home with the help of wrench friend likely during the winter. So we could take our time.

Shimano XT 1x11 group set is the best bang for your buck. I paired with a wolftooth front ring. Not sure what the XT option costs for the front. I think the wolftooth was $75? The rest was over $250 or so? How's that sound?

Integrated shifters and brakes (rim) though. :confused:
Also, 8 speed hub compatibility with 10 or 11 sp??

Forgot to mention, running disc brakes (bb7s) on tubeless set up. No rim brakes anymore. If that helps?

Also that 1x11 sounds good and $250 is right in budget range if no additional surprises

Ride what you got. Dumping money into an entry level will make sad face, then you'll still want a new bike.

For your budget, I would go with BB7 brakes, SLX Shadow+ derailleur, SLX shifter, Deore casette, and Race Face N/W front ring (30) for a 1x10 setup. Shimano 10 speed fits on an 8 speed hub.

C8N:
Not sure milage, 4 years of steady weekend warrior riding at the places I mentioned above

1shot1beer:
Can't swing new bike $$ but ~$200 upgrades will keep me riding happy for a long time.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Really helpful stuff. Much appreciated

C8N:
Not sure milage, 4 years of steady weekend warrior riding at the places I mentioned above

1shot1beer:
Can't swing new bike $$ but ~$200 upgrades will keep me riding happy for a long time.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Really helpful stuff. Much appreciated
Xt is nice but deore is damn near as good and cheaper. I have ridden deore the last two seasons with zero complaints.

Dan had good points...

Check the hub compatibility. If it can fit a 9speed cassette, you should be able to get an 11 on there.

You'll need brake levers, but I'm thinking they are less than $50? @mattybfat and @woody are the resident bb7 experts, they should know.

Once you get that squared away, proceed to @pearl s recommendation and sprinkle in some of @David Taylor s comments. Go Shimano 1x11 with the cheapest components. You can get a race face narrow wide chain ring for 35ish.

And to @1sh0t1b33r s point, or at least along the same lines, you can always buy a new frame and bring the parts over if you feel the need to upgrade in the future. Winter months are prime for that ;)

You could probably pull off 1x ten speed XT for your budget. 11 is the latest and greatest but it wasn't so long ago 10 speed was the biz. Long as you properly size the front ring it'll have enough range vs 11. XT cassette and RD would be $100 at Jenson USA, shifter was $36, a narrow wide single front ring runs about $50, and a chain maybe $30.
11 speed prices weren't dramatically different but if cost is key then that's nice stuff that you could always swap to another frame. Then again maybe it's worth the cost to future proof yourself....hmm.

Btw SRAM 11 speed stuff does NOT fit on a standard rear wheel hub. Shimano does.

Your cranks "probably" have a 104bcd mounting bolt pattern on the middle ring that should accept the single front ring.

You'll want the Avid speed dial brake levers to ditch the integrated, they are $20 for the set and help with adjustability. Don't let matty talk you into the $250 speed dial ultimate. :p But the BB7's are fine.

Last edited:
Your shifting may just be the chain is worn out. New chain, a little oil, and some adjusting might get you back to the happy place.

Lots of good options mentioned tho.

Your shifting may just be the chain is worn out. New chain, a little oil, and some adjusting might get you back to the happy place.

Lots of good options mentioned tho.

Stop spoiling the fun. Upgrades are an integral part of biking! ;)

Forgot to mention, running disc brakes (bb7s) on tubeless set up. No rim brakes anymore. If that helps?

Also that 1x11 sounds good and $250 is right in budget range if no additional surprises

If I'm reading this thread correctly, with all the additions, I think you'll be coming closer to $300 and not 200-250. In my experience, there are always surprises. I'd try to dip into the used market as much as possible (esp for things like brakes and levers). You'd probably want to get a new chain + cassette though unless you find one in near-new condition.

Ok gonna translate and sort through all this info. Will post a part/price list list in a few days to see if I've got it all straight.

@soundz yeah, $300 is definitely pushing it. Will try for used much as possible. Hopefully over the space of a winter I can catch some nice deals too with holidays

Can't overstate my thanks, really appreciated.

I send cold virtual beers to you all, or wine or whiskey if that's your thing. Assuming of course, that everyone here drinks...

Another forgot to mention, hubs are Hope Pro II (2011) on Mavic 819s. Looking into cassette compatibility, will Google. Guys know a better way to check?
Nevermind found my answer.

According to hope official site, not compatible with 11spd cassette:
http://www.hopetech.com/11-speed-compatibility/

Shimano 1x10 it is. Pricing out XT stuff now. Will post when sorted. Ty

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom