Update Trail Directory

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sorry, I'm not seeing solutions or explanations from admins in this thread.

As far as I can tell, no solution was offered. Maybe I'm missing something, but I do see explanations of why the link will not be pointed to TF. As far as I can tell, I have access to the admin button, at least for now.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I didn't realize pinkbike owned trailforks, but it doesn't really seem like a big deal to me. I don't really think anyone is gonna end up on PB from an mtbnj link to trailforks and be like "man PB has a much better local NJ bike community forum than mtbnj."

theranch

I mean here on the current Directory.
Ok, I see. That's not up to me, I'm not an admin on this website. I am only a JORBA rep for Atlantic County. I'm trying to get info available to users, the current trail directory is not up to date. I'm trying to offer a solution that would create less work for the admins.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Here's a screenshot of the Singletracks site. I use this almost exclusively for conditions.

Screenshot_20180216-142126.png

gtluke

The Moped
Ok, I see. That's not up to me, I'm not an admin on this website. I am only a JORBA rep for Atlantic County. I'm trying to get info available to users, the current trail directory is not up to date. I'm trying to offer a solution that would create less work for the admins.
we appreciate your effort and honestly i'll look into it more. if they will allow us to embed trail condition data with minimal fishing from our pond i'd be interested. But I wouldn't make one of our top buttons take users away from our site and into a competitors.
I guess it's off my radar because it seems that nobody in NNJ uses it. All the data is empty.

theranch

Here's a screenshot of the Singletracks site. I use this almost exclusively for conditions.

View attachment 63779

Cool. Everyone is entitled to use whatever they feel comfortable with. I don't think singletracks is as up to date as trail forks. Like why I only see Singletracks listing 106 trails in NJ. Whereas Trailforks lists 773. I'd want to use the one that is more widely adopted.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Singletracks listing 106 trails in NJ. Whereas Trailforks lists 773.

I don't really use either site so take this with a grain of salt, but quality > quantity. I took a look at trailforks for my local park, and what constitutes a "trail" is pretty silly. Like super tiny segments are considered a "trail." Also, I like how @68nova200 put most of the trails up there and would love to know where he came up with some of these names :p

rlb

I have this project idling in the background to have a website/webmap for NJ trails, would be cool to have something local/homegorwn. But I just haven't had the time to get it off the ground.

theranch

I don't really use either site so take this with a grain of salt, but quality > quantity. I took a look at trailforks for my local park, and what constitutes a "trail" is pretty silly. Like super tiny segments are considered a "trail." Also, I like how @68nova200 put most of the trails up there and would love to know where he came up with some of these names :p
Salt taken. I didn't make trail forks, but I have used it from the beginning. I used mtbproject from the beginning as well but find trailforks offers way more. A trail in trail forks is a segment of trail. Anywhere it joins or splits. You can make "routes", just like in strava, using all of the trails if that's what you are thinking that you should be seeing.

gtluke

The Moped
I have this project idling in the background to have a website/webmap for NJ trails, would be cool to have something local/homegorwn. But I just haven't had the time to get it off the ground.
@Norm will pay you in tacos if you pull it off.

Reactions: rlb

theranch

I thought about that too but that train has left...there is SO much support for sites like trail forks and mtbproject that it's a waste of time to go and make your own. Unless, you have the time and want to do it.

Reactions: rlb

rlb

I have it 85% done. Just needs a little updating, haven't touched it in quite a while.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

What TF has done is pretty impressive. I did not think it would work due to people not putting in trails, but I was proven wrong. I use it all the time now when I'm traveling. Not so much in NJ though.

gtluke

The Moped
Salt taken. I didn't make trail forks, but I have used it from the beginning. I used mtbproject from the beginning as well but find trailforks offers way more. A trail in trail forks is a segment of trail. Anywhere it joins or splits. You can make "routes", just like in strava, using all of the trails if that's what you are thinking that you should be seeing.

If TF allowed gpx downloads of the routes I'd be all over this. Anything to help take down strava as the 'standard'. Even though I use it. I hate the fact that getting other people's routes is now impossible or expensive. I still use a garmin device and create my own routes too, so I would just like the gps data. Seems that TF hordes this data too.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Yeah no worries, I was just trying to say that just because one site has more "trails" than the other, doesn't necessarily mean it has more trails. Maybe it does in this case though. I tried to use mtbproject a few times because it was big out west, but I think it's a pile of garbage. Whenever I'm planning to ride someplace new, I might get some info from mtbproject or trailforks, but in the end I just grab routes off strava and put them on my garmin.

theranch

If TF allowed gpx downloads of the routes I'd be all over this. Anything to help take down strava as the 'standard'. Even though I use it. I hate the fact that getting other people's routes is now impossible or expensive. I still use a garmin device and create my own routes too, so I would just like the gps data. Seems that TF hordes this data too.
TF allows downloading of gpx routes and trails. Here is a route I made in one of our trails. https://www.trailforks.com/route/lap-of-mill-pond-trails/download/
TF also has tracking in it's app now so you can use it like strava or any other gps app. I haven't tried it but know people that do because they hate strava.

rlb

Seems like trailforks has grown a lot in NJ since I last looked at it, they have pretty much all the parks covered.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Singletracks only lists actual MTB trails. Trailforks adds a lot of paved bike paths into the mix also.

theranch

You can create routes in TF by using the map of trails and clicking on each which links them together. However, this can be a pain in the butt sometimes. It's easier to upload a ride and use that as a route.

Top Bottom