True Confessions: I bent the rear rim on my brand new Moto Fly Team Ti 29er!!!

Odiggy

Ok, let me start by saying I did a jacka$$ move by coming out Sunday in all that wind down South Jersey just to get a ride up and down the block on my new Moto Fly Team Ti 29er. The weather really wasn't all that bad, just wind gusts popping up now and again.
What can I say, I had cabin fever! I got the bike on Thursday and spent the day assembling the unassembled, unassembling the pre-assembled and re-lubricating everything. By Friday after work, I headed over to try it out at Clayton Park; my nearest challenging trail park that I'm familiar with.
I was like a totally different rider! It was great!
Btw, the trail was totally drained. I only ran over one puddle the entire time there. Of course Saturday was consumed with Irene and buttoning down the hatches!
Sunday I got out at one point; half a bottle ( ok, ok, a bottle and a 1/2) of Tempranillo into my relaxing day! During my back and forth up the block a Tarp left by the contractor guys installing Verizon FIOS blows into my path! I brake hard, swerving to the right. I unclipped my left foot so when I eventaully stopped. The bike actually lilted to the right and I didn't get my right foot unclipped fast enough and down I went!
Anyway, I was embarrassed but otherwise ok. Inspecting my ride, I found minimal damage (at first),just some scratches on the XT trail pedals and a minor blemish on the rear XTR derailluer. I dusted myself off, got back on and started to pedal up the block headed back indoors, that's when I noticed the bumpity bump of the rear wheel. I'm such a Jacka$$!!!!!!
Long story short, Today, I took the bike to my local LBS with hopes he'd get it back good as new. I was disappointed to hear him say he would probably not be able to return it to "good as new" status. He said at worst the wheel wouldn't be perfectly round and spinning it would produce a slight bumpity/bump as I rode. I gave it to him and ask he do his best.

I'm such a Jacka$$!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Weird. Doesnt seem like you did enough to bend a wheel. I wonder if the spokes were tensioned right to begin with. Maybe its best that the wheel bent now rather than on the trail. Seems like it was destined to bend either way. I had a rear wheel fail on me when i wasnt doing anything but going fast down a hill. That didnt end well.

Weird. Doesnt seem like you did enough to bend a wheel. I wonder if the spokes were tensioned right to begin with. Maybe its best that the wheel bent now rather than on the trail. Seems like it was destined to bend either way. I had a rear wheel fail on me when i wasnt doing anything but going fast down a hill. That didnt end well.

I think collapsing my biga$$ 240lb frame across it might just've done the trick!

Destined to happen

I have the Fly Team 29er. I love this bike, handlebars are pretty narrow, but a great overall ride for the price tag.
Mine came with the uber-uber light hand-built Vuelta race wheels. I knew from minute one those were not the wheels for my then 235lb frame. It took a month before I broke my first spoke, and boy did those light wheels accelerate, but after the first went, it was broken spoke after broken spoke, sometimes two at a, audible pop, time. I'd imagine if you're a sub 170lb racer, which is what wheels like that are designed for, you'd be plenty happy running those daily for xc use. For me, however, I found a good deal on the much beefier Crossmax 29er rear wheel and have been mechanical free for some time now.
I love my full XTR "bargain" TI scoot, but those wheels are pretty much race only for us clydesdale types.
I still run the front wheel with zero issues, and was actually pretty impressed that even down two spokes, those Vuelta's barely lost true, those ultra-light bladed spokes just couldn't handle the workload my big frame dished out.

I have the Fly Team 29er. I love this bike, handlebars are pretty narrow, but a great overall ride for the price tag.
Mine came with the uber-uber light hand-built Vuelta race wheels. I knew from minute one those were not the wheels for my then 235lb frame. It took a month before I broke my first spoke, and boy did those light wheels accelerate, but after the first went, it was broken spoke after broken spoke, sometimes two at a, audible pop, time. I'd imagine if you're a sub 170lb racer, which is what wheels like that are designed for, you'd be plenty happy running those daily for xc use. For me, however, I found a good deal on the much beefier Crossmax 29er rear wheel and have been mechanical free for some time now.
I love my full XTR "bargain" TI scoot, but those wheels are pretty much race only for us clydesdale types.
I still run the front wheel with zero issues, and was actually pretty impressed that even down two spokes, those Vuelta's barely lost true, those ultra-light bladed spokes just couldn't handle the workload my big frame dished out.

Thanks for the heads up! I got a set of 2011 Easton Havens (Mag color)shipping this week. I read pretty good reviews about the 2011 version of this wheelset and couldn't pass up the deal for the price I found them on Ebay! ($599.00 w/free shipping. LBS quoted me $1000+tax)
The front Vuelta Team SL is still in perfect condition and I've even taken the re-straightened rear out to Clayton last friday with no issues.
I think I'll lighten my wife's Moto Fantom Pro 29er with the Vuelta Team SL and put her barely used WTB Laserdisc trail on the shelf as our backup.

I agree with you about the value of the Motobecane brand. I wanted to get into this sport, but didn't have the "cashish" to get something considered top tier by the LBS. The Moto let me jump in at the higher end and at a price I could afford. I couldn't be happier with it! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom