Traveling with a bike ...

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
For anyone who has had to travel with their bike, can you recommend a good travel case? I'm going to Minnesota in about two months for SSUSA and need to work out the logistics of getting my bike there. I saw that a few of the cases out there, like the Thule one, are "UPS shippable". I was planning on shipping the bike, so that sounds like a good option. Any experience with the Thule Round Trip case? Any others I should consider?

I'm also thinking about using Bike flights, but don't know about that. I think someone on here mentioned that it's a great service in an earlier post. It looks like you can geta decent discount on the shipping, but how does it work? Do they ship to a bike shop or is it shipped to my location (hotel) and I put it back together myself? Any info is appreciated!

I had a great experience with Southwest. I'm sure you already booked your flight, but if you didn't look into it. It was $50 each way, packed myself in a left over bike box.

Details from 2010:
Southwest Rules:
Anything over 62 inches: $50 bucks. Compared to shipping ground UPS, four days to possibly get lost for a cost of $60 bucks its about the same. Jay said UPS insures packages over $1,000.

Under 80 total inches (hardest one)
Under 100 pounds (easy)

PLEASE check into the policies at each airline directly on their site. Some carriers are HORRIBLE with bikes. a good trick is to tell them it's sporting goods or hockey equipment, as most airlines will see $$$ when you utter the dreaded two wheeled word "bike" I have found this post to be pretty spot-on:

http://consumerist.com/2010/03/05/whats-the-best-airline-for-bringing-my-bike/

frontier is the best airline as far as flying bikes in my limited experience, at most it will be $25 if you pack your bike in a normal bike box (cardboard)however they only fly LGA to minn, not EWR or PHL.

I've flown with a bike about a dozen times just going to LBS and asking for a cardboard box and lots of bubblewrap.

If you can figure the logisitcs, having it forwarded ahead of time to a location may be cheaper and less stressful logistically speaking.

Actually, I haven't booked my flight yet (my wife hasn't been able to make up her mind if she wants to go or not so I've been waiting for her.) But I have to do it soon. I am liking the idea of Frontier (they walk it to the plane! :D:D:D) So I am going to look into that. One follow-up: is shoudl I tell them when I buy the ticket that I will have a bike with me, or do I wait until I arrive atthe airport? I'd rather have them know in advance if that could make a difference.

At any rate, thanks for the advice!

From what I experienced, it won't make a difference. You can call to get regulations from them so you are prepared on how to pack, weight/dimensions, etc, but the process was just like any other checked baggage. When you arrive, It won't come down the turnstiles (thanks spellcheck), you'll have to go to a special spot and wait for them to unload it. Took maybe 15-20 minutes more, but you can't complain about that.

If you're flying with your bike, Do the curbside baggage check and be sure to tip the guy well when you tell him it's "sports equipment." Depending on what airline you're using, it could save you $100 or more, each way.

Also, if you're buying a case, make sure its a hard case and wheels are a huge plus. You'll be schlepping this thing around with you whether its at the airport or at your hotel. A bike box is pretty cumbersome and its not something you want to leave sitting somewhere while you handle other luggage.

And a word of caution... when they go to inspect the contents of your bike box, dont watch... just walk away. If you watch what they do, you're gonna get pissed and depending upon your temper/rage threshold, you may well end up in TSA lockdown.

they really shouldn't consider a bike in a box a "bike", the $100 fee is for walking in with an actual bike they have to deal with, you should pay for oversized luggage, that's it. wish someone would take up the cause of fixing that.

Shipping bike

If you do use UPS make sure you insure it for what it worth and packed correctly, they only insure you for $100 unless you pay extra .

think this came up in a thread awhile back.
there are a few of these services out there.

http://www.shipbikes.com/

thought i saw hard shell case rental on one of them.

Lori at High Gear is an expert at moving bikes around the world - maybe hit her up?

Just came from a trip, bag I used was a Pika Packworks soft shell bag which was great.

I flew jet blue both ways, and both ways the bike checked free!
As long as the bag is under 50lbs. I told them it was a bike too and not extra charges.

Timely thread, we're going to England the fourth week of July and I'm hoping to take a bike with me, just started looking into what I need to do.

Not totally related but when I go golfing on vacation/travel I ship my clubs via UPS direct to the hotel. Might cost a little more but much more convenient - not dragging heavy things to the airport - and as someone else mentioned the insurance is more comprehensive.

I spent a few hundred on a nice case and put it on the plane out of newark ,the only complications i had was the removal of every part out of the case by the TSA, and the disregard of what they were tossing around. On return from utah i decided to ship UPS when the case showed up at my house it looked like it fell out of the truck at about 80 mph. My luck the bike was unharmed but the case was destroyed , with full insurance i was expecting to be reimbursed for the case, ups told me that the case was considered packaging and will not replace it . They told me to wrap the case in cardboard next time then it will be considered continence . So my advise is to deal with the airline with the package.

Thanks for all the advice, folks! A lot of stuff to consider. I think I probably will be getting my own case because I've got a few trips planned over the next couple of years and I'd just as soon have my own. I'm kind of torn on the UPS vs on the flight at this point so I'll have to think about that a bit more. I did check Frontier and I think there is a problem on their website -- the only destinations it allows me to choose are both in Central America!

If I do fly it, I think I'm going to fly direct to Chicago and drive the rest of the way (it's about 4-5 hours of driving, but I really don't want to risk losing my bike because of a connection.)

+1 for the Pika Packworks. High quality, simple setup. Used it on many trips, protects the bike perfectly. Overkill for a road bike, but a big bag is necessary for a large FS mountain bike. Might be overkill for a SS rig too (if thats all you use it for), pretty hard to mess those things up unless its carbon. Big enough to stuff all your riding gear in too, just dont go over the airline weight limits. I've shipped it too (high country shipping/UPS), and it worked fine for that too.

A friend has an EVOC and loves it too, I think that one is top of the line. Good luck in the race.

it only shows two destinations due to you picking PHL as your departing location, which is the issue with Frontier. Those are the only two loacations you can get direct flights to from PHL. Other locations, like LGA give you more options.

I would not even consider a connecting flight if you have a bike as checked baggage, that will absolutely turn out to be a nightmare

you can also look for free hard suitcases on craigslist and use those boxes... you ride SS so it might fit very easily. You don't even have to tell them it's a bike. Just check it like regular bag.

Back
Top Bottom