Transitional season clothing

ebarker9

So I have a decent collection of clothing for the warm summer months as well as cold temps down to perhaps the low teens, but these mid temps (sort of mid 40's to mid 50's) always seem to be a challenge. Wondering what people find the most useful:

-Windstopper base layers
-Warmer long sleeve jerseys
-Light shell jackets
-Arm warmers
-Heavier weight shorts
-Leg warmers
-Lightweight tights

Of course this is going to vary by person and the correct answer is "all of the above", but trying to figure out what the most used items are likely to be. I'm usually in shorts with a warm baselayer and SS jersey over the top when it's like this but there's zero wind protection which can be pretty cold, especially when it's overcast.

Why shorts and a warm base layer? Why not just long pants? Why shorts in the first place? I don't understand bikers wearing shorts, unless it's summer and everyone is wearing shorts, that I get. But winter and 40° weather, shorts, why? I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, I just don't understand shorts. Enlighten me, please.

Why shorts and a warm base layer? Why not just long pants? Why shorts in the first place? I don't understand bikers wearing shorts, unless it's summer and everyone is wearing shorts, that I get. But winter and 40° weather, shorts, why? I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, I just don't understand shorts. Enlighten me, please.

It's what I have. Otherwise I have fleece lined tights that are only comfortable if it's below about 30. So...I probably need to pick up some lighter weight tights.

It's definitely not a simple answer because everyone different. I am more a roadie but I was told " 60 degrees, cover the knees" which may/may not be true for techy trail riding.

On the other hand I also learned I need less layers when I MTB (because I suck at it) but I would agree the following things are "essential"

Wind blocking vest OR
Windbreaker with sleeves that can zip off to convert to a vest.
Arm/Leg warmers (easy to shed layers quick during a break in the ride).

This season I also finally got some really good knee warmers (Pactimo brand) and I was surprised how much of a difference it makes when the temps may be somewhere in the middle like you mentioned. This way you dont get overheated with full leg tights/bibs or full leg warmers. They cover from the lower thigh all the way to mid calf and it really helps shake off that chill quite a bit.

hope that helps!

This is not quite the discussion I expected after reading the title. Regardless, I'm still learning something.

Ah yeah, I see how that could be interpreted differently...social isolation is apparently getting to me.
I was just being an ass, I apologise. I have picked up a few pointers from this thread though, I always have trouble figuring out how much to wear this time of year.

Gonna add another vote for a wind vest. It works over a broad temperature range, since you can wear it over a wide variety of other garments.

Arm/knee/leg warmers also are essential, once you go beyond basic kit.

And yes, cover your knees, if you want them to stay healthy. Knee caps aren’t known for their built-in insulation.

Back
Top Bottom