Training - SS, or SS+XC+Road bikes?

one piece crank

I'm really trying to get in decent shape for the warmer riding season. I primarily ride my HT/SS, but also have a rigid XC and vintage roadie. Is there much to be gained by mixing-up the rides during the week, or is this counter productive?

To mix the roadie into the training I'd need to re-pack all bearings, new cable housing, tubes, tires and new pedals or shoes. It's not been on the road in 15+ years(!). I am a mechanic so just short shop time, but there is some cost involved, hence the question on it's actual training value...

Tom P.

Last edited:
I'm really trying to get in decent shape for the warmer riding season. I primarily ride my HT/SS, but also have a rigid XC and vintage roadie. Is there much to be gained by mixing-up the rides during the week, or is this counter productive?

To mix the roadie into the training I'd need to re-pack all bearings, new cable housing, tubes, tires and new pedals or shoes. It's not been on the road in 15+ years(!). I am a mechanic so just short shop time, but there is some cost involved, hence the question on it's actual training value...

Tom P.

There is a huge training value in using a road bike to get in shape for mtb riding, guys racing mtb's(the ones finishing well) spend about 75-90% on the road.
The simple explanation is that road cycling allows you to build a fitness base without beating you up like mtb does. Road cycling also provides more consistent terrain for improving ones fitness, allowing you to zone in on a specific type of workout.
If your roadie is beyond repair look in the Marketplace thread for a used roadie.

Correct me if I'm wrong but he could get the same workout by riding his rigid mtb on the road? I'm assuming that it is geared. Other than wearing out the tires, going slower and maybe not being as enjoyable, I think you get the same workout as long as your effort is the same. JimV rides his mtb on the road most of the year. I think he made some argument about being at one, some kind of veggie zen thing, with the bike you are racing. Just sayin'

mtb road

Correct me if I'm wrong but he could get the same workout by riding his rigid mtb on the road? I'm assuming that it is geared. Other than wearing out the tires, going slower and maybe not being as enjoyable, I think you get the same workout as long as your effort is the same. JimV rides his mtb on the road most of the year. I think he made some argument about being at one, some kind of veggie zen thing, with the bike you are racing. Just sayin'

you can also get a second set of rims and put city tires or the hybrids that use a lot less rolling resistance

you can also get a second set of rims and put city tires or the hybrids that use a lot less rolling resistance
i have this set up, but i don't use slicks since i havce two road bikes, i use inversted knobbies i got at campmor

my favorite rides are ones that go through the woods and tarmac,. like hi mt, road then canon ball:popcorn:

Up until last august I used only my mountain bike (geared 29er HT) with mountain tires on the road for training. Works perfectly fine. No need for slick tires. I avoided switching to slick tires mainly because I like to ride the road to a park, do a loop on the dirt, ride the roads back. Hutchinson pythons have been the best tires I have used so far for this type of riding.

However, the road bike is much more enjoyable if you are going to be doing strickly road training.

You can training just fine with the mtb on the road. If you stick with knobby tires, you will be stronger from more resistance from the knobbies. One downside if gearing. Unless you bump up your front ring, you will spin out relatively quickly and will have to coast on even slight downhill grades. If you run a big ring it isnt as bad.

However, after riding a road bike for a few years now I hate riding my mtb on the road unless it is to the trails or something.

i ride everything in between.
i ride singlespeed on road.
mountain bike (geared) on road.
and ride a road bike too ocasionally.
and bmx for tooling aroud the block.

beside i've never done "actual training"

i just ride my bikes a lot and riding long hours 3-5 times a week,that's how i roll. not training!!:D

Last edited:
i ride everything in between.
i ride singlespeed on road.
mountain bike (geared) on road.
and ride a road bike too ocasionally.
and bmx for tooling aroud the block.

beside i've never done "actual training"

i just ride my bikes a lot and riding long hours 3-5 times a week,that's how i roll. not training!!:D

x2! I think there is a huge advantage to "cross training". I do 1-2 days in the mountain, 2-3 days on the road and at least a few hours once or twice at the skate park on my bmx bike. Overall, you build endurance and keep your technical skills up :getsome:

Back
Top Bottom