Trail Conditions

ArmyOfNone

As of 8/09:

I hit all but the yellow trail today. There were many small areas with water. For the most part the trails were pretty dry.

However there is about 4 or 5 trees that are down across the trails. There is one down on the red trail near the bottom heading towards the neumans lane lot. There is another tree down at the top of the fire road.

The there is another on the blue that i cant recall where.

The worst is on the white trail in the back yard of the houses heading out to CR road. There are two large trees down there. Its tough to get over.

As of 8/09:

The worst is on the white trail in the back yard of the houses heading out to CR road. There are two large trees down there. Its tough to get over.

I saw that driving to work the other day - they have not cleared the logs yet? there was a crew out working the morning after the storm, I thought for sure they would have cleared it by now. I usually park at the ball fields, not Newman's Lane. Thanks for the heads up, we'll park at Newman's for our Saturday ride.

ArmyOfNone

The trees are still there and still a bunch of debris on some of the trails. However i will say there has been a lot of great work done there. The bridges and reroutes are super!

Ron and I rode CR today. Trail conditions were, overall, very good. There was some mud in the usual places where water tends to stand, but nothing to cause too much damage to the trails or suck the bike in.

If you park at the ballfields instead of Newman's Lane, be aware that the entrance trail is still blocked by a large fallen tree - this trail has been closed by the Parks Dept. If you intend to enter from this side, turn left out of the ballfield lot and hit the entrance about 250 yards down the road.

We rode the Red section first - it's in very good shape, but there are some large fallen trees that cannot be ridden, you have to throw the bike over them and climb over or go under yourself. The long climb near the lake is about 3/4 passable. A medium sized tree with lots of messy branches is blocking the trail. I could not ride around it, but if you walk the bike through the tangle you can continue riding up to the top.

The Blue section looks great, no deadfall to block trails but more mud here.

We ran into some of the Park Dept and JORBA guys out there to do TM. Signed up to be notified of their next TM outing, which is scheduled for September 15. We plan to be there.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Was there today. Gravity wasted me pretty hard on the white trail Playground area but all in all very good shape. I wiped out hard from a tree down at the bottom of one of the big fast hills in there. Probably hit it at 20 at least, front tire cleared but rear bit the tree and I was off-camber because the trail is on a slight turn there so I went over hard and fast. Took it on the shoulder but beer helps the pain. One huge tree down on red but all in all decent shape.

D

DANSPANK

Was in there today doing a bit of exploring. Nice place! I did the blue, white and red trails. They're in great shape with just a few wet spots that you can avoid whilst still staying on the trail (over rocks and things). I couldn't find the link to the yellow/orange trails behind the red so didn't have a full exploration. I'll have to go with a group one day.

So, I like the trails. Lots of babyhead rocks throughout but lots of nice, flowy single track too. Roots and water bars make some nice little drop-ins throughout. Pretty fast, I think - even though I was stopping at trail junctions and things.

There is still a large two-trunk tree down on the red trails and two big buggers on the gravel fire road alongside the quarry. Other than that the trails are great - nice and tacky. Get out there!

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Trail Update

Rode Chimney Rock yesterday (friday 8/31)

The big tree that had fallen on the red trail near the reservoir is gone. Well not gone, cut up into little pieces and moved out of the way.

The white trail has been cleared as well.

Conditions on red, blue, white, orange, and the little bit of yellow between the ball field and gilbride were fantastic.

Huge thanks to whoever did the TM!!! Whether it was the rangers or one of our groups - fantastic.

I will try to make it out to the next CR TM.

Rode Chimney Rock yesterday (friday 8/31)

The big tree that had fallen on the red trail near the reservoir is gone. Well not gone, cut up into little pieces and moved out of the way.

The white trail has been cleared as well.

Conditions on red, blue, white, orange, and the little bit of yellow between the ball field and gilbride were fantastic.

Huge thanks to whoever did the TM!!! Whether it was the rangers or one of our groups - fantastic.

Was there Friday 8/31 and I agree, trails are in fantastic shape.

The next TM is September 15 according to the Parks Department.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Was there today, agree on the conditions. In fact, it's almost too dry there. Hard to believe, but there ya go.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's

That was the Rangers & they did a great job.

Yeap it's September 15th @ 10:30am until 1.00pm. Meet at the Newmans Lane parking lot.

More info here:http://www.somersetcountyparks.org/brochFlyers/volunteerParkPatrol.pdf

We also have a tm planned for October but the date & time have not been finalized yet. I'll post the info when I receive it. Hope to see you there.

Kirt

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions