Tourne Routes

robr1023

Hey all,

So I was recommended Tourne for a beginner spot, I went the other day and it was great except for the 90 degree heat and I stupidly forgot water.

I had some questions on where to park. There were many lots, and also the street with the gate I checked out both sides. I ended up parking by the Birchwood lake/

So what are the beginner routes? I took Red for a while (is it even a legal biking trail?) and it was slightly difficult (there was one pretty big steep and rocky hill)

Other than that it seems like an awesome place. Can't wait to learn more about it.

m5161968

I am looking into riding that trail soon, I usually fish up there on the Mountain Lakes side. Always see guys go in but not coming back out, as if they come in from somewhere else pass through.

freeride

tourne

i usually park at mccaffery lane and ride tourne clockwise, ending with top of tourne. i wiped out twice descending top of tourne. once a few winters ago on ice patch, another time recently from loose gravel, there is a lot in the tourne. but i usually do the same six mile loop, have to add some more stuff in to keep going more frequently

robr1023

So what color trails should I look out for? And I went down McCaffrey... There were a few lots and it was split into two parts by the gate

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

BAIN

I always park at the gate at the bottom of the hill right next to the large field.

My normal loop is the following:

Go through the gate and make the first left on the walking trail. (white)

Make you first right on the mini switchbacks. (pink)

Continue on that trail until you come to your second right (red) and head towards the playground either the left or the straight route and come down the opposite back to where you turned off.

Continue straight on (red) to the bigger switchbacks and down the other side.

Make the first right and follow that all the way straight to the Birchwood lake swim area. (do not follow the red left turn)

Go around the parking lot to the other side and continue on the gravel path.

Once you pass the picnic benches and go up the short washout, make the first right. This short trail will drop you out in a residential cul de sac.

Stay straight on this road and look for the first "wide" left on to the sled run trail.

Once you are at the top stay to the left and drop down the blue back to the gravel road you were just on.

Make a right and your first right through the wooden gate back on to the (red).

Follow the red all the back and make your first left to head over the bridge and return to the baseball diamond parking area.

At this time you can decide if climbing the right side of the tourne is in your future, another lap or calling it a day.

Total is maybe 7 miles.

Going in the opposite direction incorporates more climbing and knowing that I have only made the backside of the switchbacks once in my life, I tend to avoid that climb.

robr1023

I always park at the gate at the bottom of the hill right next to the large field.

My normal loop is the following:

Go through the gate and make the first left on the walking trail. (white)

Make you first right on the mini switchbacks. (pink)

Continue on that trail until you come to your second right (red) and head towards the playground either the left or the straight route and come down the opposite back to where you turned off.

Continue straight on (red) to the bigger switchbacks and down the other side.

Make the first right and follow that all the way straight to the Birchwood lake swim area. (do not follow the red left turn)

Go around the parking lot to the other side and continue on the gravel path.

Once you pass the picnic benches and go up the short washout, make the first right. This short trail will drop you out in a residential cul de sac.

Stay straight on this road and look for the first "wide" left on to the sled run trail.

Once you are at the top stay to the left and drop down the blue back to the gravel road you were just on.

Make a right and your first right through the wooden gate back on to the (red).

Follow the red all the back and make your first left to head over the bridge and return to the baseball diamond parking area.

At this time you can decide if climbing the right side of the tourne is in your future, another lap or calling it a day.

Total is maybe 7 miles.

Going in the opposite direction incorporates more climbing and knowing that I have only made the backside of the switchbacks once in my life, I tend to avoid that climb.

And this a relatively easier ride? Do you know the total/estimates of elevation?

And is it a big parking lot?

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
And this a relatively easier ride? Do you know the total/estimates of elevation?

And is it a big parking lot?

Here's a version of that. Tourne has short, punchy climbs and some rocks. We usually start from the playground end on Red...since we live over there. :p
http://app.strava.com/activities/23243863

Some of the purple/teal stuff in the middle is fun and non-tech, but short. The most technical trail is the last section of Red. You can skip that by turning left on Purple then turn right and catch back up with Red to do the loop around the lake.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions