TM at Hartshorne???

Don brings up some good points, namely that attending a training course can be very informative and we could greatly improve the erosion issues at Hartshorne by attending trail maintenance dates.
I have to come clean, I am a Monmouth County employee who is also an avid mountain biker. I have spoken to Karen Livingston(MCPS) regarding TM. All park volunteers are required to take a training course so that they know what trail maintenace is all about, guys like Mike Flatery pass on great info free of charge. The indoor class is followed up by outdoor hands on training, in total the class lasts about 3hrs. This class only needs to be attended once, your name is entered in the MCPS data base and your volunteer hours are tracked. Those that perform 40 or more volunteer hrs. a year are invited to a free luncheon. There is no background check, this only pertains to volunteers who work with children.
Volunteers at MCPS put in over 1000hrs. of work at various parks, and is planning to have approx. 6 TM dates at Hartshorne in 2009. Having volunteered for TM at other parks throughout the state I do admit that having to attend a training course to volunteer for TM can be a hassle. But you can also look at this as an opportunty to get some good info from some good teachers and use this knowledge to perform TM at Hartshorne as well other parks.
There will probably be a trainging course in March, it will be posted on Jorba when exact dates are available.

Good stuff.....thanks for clearing up the background check issue.

Ok, good stuff all around.

There will probably be a trainging course in March, it will be posted on Jorba when exact dates are available.

What do you think the chances are we can get a MTBNJ course setup? We could make it an MTBNJ raffle session, and we could try and fill it up as much as possible. I imagine we could get a decent turnout of we make sure we put it together sooner than later.

If there's anything else you think I/we can do, let me know. Send me a PM and maybe we can work something out.

When the TM and new volunteer training dates are announced, I will post them here, as well as on JORBA.org. As for a seperate? training session for MTBNJ. It is usually just the regular dates, but I will ask if it is do-able. I advise just go with the regular dates for new volunteer training. The hours will count as a work/training day. As for " is there anything you/ youse guys can do?", contact the park system, and voice you concerns, give them your information offer to help. Make sure you mention JORBA as well as MTBNJ.

Ok, good stuff all around.
What do you think the chances are we can get a MTBNJ course setup?

I agree with Brian regarding TM training sessions, we could probably just go with the dates that the park system sets up.
Like TM at other parks we should post it and give people as much notice as we can in as many places as we can and encourage participation. It would be good to talk up the March training class at Hartshorne to get as many people on board so that in the future we have alot of volunteers good to go with the MCPS.

so if we attend this class can we build log ramps and such.....? I might be up for that. That park would be alot more fun if it had some technical obsticals. However if all is allowed is clearing brush ill leave that to the park department.

also arnt parks public land-? So why is it such a hassle if the "public" want to build or maintain on something that was bought by the state for those specific people.

Last edited:
The first TM dates at Hartshorne as well as trails all over NJ will probably be spent working on erosion issues following spring run-off, winter freeze thaw. Unfortunalty building log ramps will not be a priority, once erosion issues are dealt with more creative energy could be used to enhance trails:D

Tm HT

Hey guys,
Sorry for the mis-information, i was told when i started the trails program for MCPS back in 1990, that all volunteers had to go through a background check, i guess like anything else things change, again sorry.
years ago fastrack mtb club adopted cuesta ridge trail at Hartshorne woods, and they had their own schedule of dates to work on just that trail, if MTBNJ wants to do the same i wouldn’t see any issues just call Karen like Brian said.

see everyone at the next training class.

PS i think i know this iggy fella :hmmm:

Mike Flatley
MCPS Master Trainer / Volunteer

I did the training course earlier this year it was really informative. Mike Flatley did a great job - I was very impressed before I knew it was him and he was a fellow rider. Not trying to blow smoke up his arse but his newer style trail building methods were far more interesting than the other speakers items.

Don,
Thanks for the kind words, and i am happy that you had taken some great information away with you on the teachings of trail building and technique.
alot has changed since 1990 up into todays trial building technique and guidlinies, If you have the opportuity to pick up the IMBA trail building book i would encourage everyone to do so, it is a great source of information.
I know Brian and myself would be happy to hold a class for anyone, as long as MCPS will allow us to do so.

Kindly,
NMBPmike
Mike Flatley

Last edited by a moderator:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions