tire pressure????

Wrong Way Dan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i just went to tubeless. i am wondering what psi i should be running. i am about 155 to 160 lbs. i like to ride more technical trails. not sure if it makes a difference i do ride a hard tail.

You can go way low, probably even as low as 20. But if you bomb down you may bang the rims up a bit. Where do you ride and is speed also your intent?

Everyone likes it different. Everyone's gauge is calibrated differently. Most people in mtbNJ seem to like it on the low side. Personally, I like it as low as possible w/o bottom'ing out - I ride a rigid. For me, that's 1psi on my gauge - yea my gauge is messed up, but I don't care as long as I get it consistent every time.

I would suggest starting at something high, then go down by 2psi increments until you find something you like.

i am running maxxis ignitor with the stan tubeless set up. does that make is ust or ghetto or tubeless

Everyone likes it different. Everyone's gauge is calibrated differently. Most people in mtbNJ seem to like it on the low side. Personally, I like it as low as possible w/o bottom'ing out - I ride a rigid. For me, that's 1psi on my gauge - yea my gauge is messed up, but I don't care as long as I get it consistent every time.

I would suggest starting at something high, then go down by 2psi increments until you find something you like.

+1 This is good. The gauge calibration is also important. Almost every gauge will vary with readings between each one. Just use the same gauge all the time.

i am running maxxis ignitor with the stan tubeless set up. does that make is ust or ghetto or tubeless
This is tubeless.

Many folks go as low as they can without bottoming out. I'm 160 as well and find that about 20-22psi front, 24-26 psi rear works well for me. I sometimes run a bit on the lower side if I want a little more cush (endurance races). If your hitting the rim, its too low.

I would say 67% of native New Jerseyians run that setup. Test your pressure with a curb or some blunt edge by forcing tire into it while on bike. Bang rim add 1-3 psi or bring down to banging rim then add. Once you got your number write it down for both front and rear. Tires will preform best at the lower PSI...

it really is going to depend on your riding style and the conditions your riding in. i switched to tubeless last year, 26" wheels - kenda nevegals. i weigh 225, and like to ride anywhere between 40 to 45 psi, just enough squish without slowing me down too much. its something you have to play with tho. start at about 40, and work your way down from there i guess. but honestly its a day to day and trail to trail thing.

Back
Top Bottom