Tire inserts revisited.

I may or may not have had a major brain fade. I think I got tubolight confused with tubolito. Pretty sure all Iused was the Pepi's and Tannus. Will have to try the Tubolight. Are you using the SL or standard @jShort ?
Tubolito is those orange lightweight inner toooobes, right?

I may or may not have had a major brain fade. I think I got tubolight confused with tubolito. Pretty sure all Iused was the Pepi's and Tannus. Will have to try the Tubolight. Are you using the SL or standard @jShort ?

I'm 95% sure you posted a picture of a chewed up tubolight a few months ago.

I'm 95% sure you posted a picture of a chewed up tubolight a few months ago.

Correct. Definitely a Tubolight.

This is what I bought

They change the material on the inside of the insert????? Incredible. Wish I was good enough to shred the shed :(. There are 0 rocks in North Jersey unfortunately.
If you held a Tannus side by side with a tubolight you would see the Tannus is a much denser foam and doesn't;'t absorb any sealant. Those lightweight foam ones constantly get cut when you pinch them against the rim. Yea, they do their job but will have a much shorter lifespan.

Got a flat today at the Box Baum race up at Port Jervis. My fault, I never refresh Stan’s until it’s too late. Anywho.
Figured I’d put a patch on the inside of the tyre, so pulled everything apart. This is what I found inside. (Setup is Racing Ralph/tubolight XC/carbon DT Swiss)
IMG_1151.jpeg
IMG_1152.jpeg
IMG_1153.jpeg
IMG_1154.jpeg

This is from a handful of rides and a few races. Maybe 10-15 total outings.

I'm going to be adding the Tubolight Evo to my gravel bike. I feel that inserts work well for square edge hits like potholes, small curbs, and the like, so here's hoping.

@MadisonDan do you feel they absorbed the sealant quicker than you expected? Using any special valves?

I'm going to be adding the Tubolight Evo to my gravel bike. I feel that inserts work well for square edge hits like potholes, small curbs, and the like, so here's hoping.

@MadisonDan do you feel they absorbed the sealant quicker than you expected? Using any special valves?
I have CushCore valves in all wheels with inserts, but 1. A regular valve is horrible. Eventually I'll replace it, probably at next tire change. The CushCore valves have the air holes at a 90 degree to the valve stem, ensuring the insert isn't pushed up against the air hole, which is less important with Tubolight and others.

Threw the new Vittoria air liner in my rear recently, so far so good. We'll see what it looks like in a few months.

View attachment 220828

The install was incredibly easy and I like that the shape/material doesn't steal the sealant like Tubolight does. My buddy refreshed his sealant 2 weeks ago, went to swap tires and it was dry in there.
This is what I have also but the older version.

Threw the new Vittoria air liner in my rear recently, so far so good. We'll see what it looks like in a few months.

View attachment 220828

The install was incredibly easy and I like that the shape/material doesn't steal the sealant like Tubolight does. My buddy refreshed his sealant 2 weeks ago, went to swap tires and it was dry in there.
Ya mine have been pretty good so far, no complaints.

Serious question: Between the insert and sealant, wouldn't it be better to just run a slime tube on your trail bike? Like this?
Bike tubes....way back when I used them would almost never be punctured like this picture....rather they are pinched against the rim. Which the only way to stop was running high pressures
1692103051741.png

Back
Top Bottom