Thoughts on Matthew Fairbrother?

Sevenz

Kid is legit! Best story of the 2022 EWS. Quote from PB article:

pb-small-dark_48x34.png
What's the goal for this season?
Invest my money into learning - in this instance it isn't necessarily about getting quick in-between the tape, it's about learning life skills, travelling with the bike and seeing places. And also seeing where the adventure takes me, that's what it's all about.

Mission Accomplished! Wish more 17/18yr olds had this mentality.
Seems to get most of his nutrition from gas stations and McDonalds.

Thoughts?

Ask @jimvreeland how much sleep is had and "gas station food" is consumed when doing ultra endurance stuff...LOL

serviceguy

And he is 17. You can eat and do whatever at that age and rebound in minutes.

I listened to a podcast with him when it came out and he seemed authentic and what he is doing is doable. I think it's a great story and and should have people thinking what is possible on a bicycle.

Also every 17 year old is a bonehead. So if they are going to do something dumb it might as well be interesting and have a bunch of kook mtn bikers from across the earth in NJ keyboard about it.

Podcast link:

IMHO there are a much dumber things 17 years old kids are doing...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Anyone follow this guy? At first I was super impressed and excited to read about his adventures but lately I'm finding myself becoming more and more skeptical. Some of what he's claiming seems impossible. He races Enduro and rides his bike to every event. He'll ride 300km fully loaded, go 4 hours without water, 7 hours without food, sleep 3 hours on the side of the road then race an enduro. Seems to get most of his nutrition from gas stations and McDonalds.

Thoughts?
As you write this
1673034515533.gif

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's

pb-small-dark_48x34.png
Invest my money into learning - in this instance it isn't necessarily about getting quick in-between the tape, it's about learning life skills, travelling with the bike and seeing places. And also seeing where the adventure takes me, that's what it's all about.

Ask @jimvreeland how much sleep is had and "gas station food" is consumed when doing ultra endurance stuff...LOL
I'm fairly certain Jim has ridden like 72 hours with no sleep on a swedish fish redbull diet, probably in -35 degrees lol

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.

pb-small-dark_48x34.png

Exhibit A.

20230106_164906.jpg

Karate Monkey

You're brave to do the cola bottles. I think the only thing that would set me off worse would be sour patch kids.

Ironjunk

Still do. I have GERD, so I can pretty much eat PB+J while riding, and that's it...unless I want to pay for it later (maybe while I'm still riding!).
How is your caffeine and/or alcohol intake? I had bad gerd on and off for 2 years, gave up drinking completely and no caffiene after 2, no big meals or eating after 8. Getting an empty stomach from riding helps too, but then you have to resist eating 4 bowls of captain crunch at night

Karate Monkey

How is your caffeine and/or alcohol intake? I had bad gerd on and off for 2 years, gave up drinking completely and no caffiene after 2, no big meals or eating after 8. Getting an empty stomach from riding helps too, but then you have to resist eating 4 bowls of captain crunch at night

Pretty much. Largely a bland diet, infrequent meals, anymore. If I eat more than a few hundred calories in a go, it's a lot.

Can't burn off the extra food right now, either.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anyone follow this guy? At first I was super impressed and excited to read about his adventures but lately I'm finding myself becoming more and more skeptical. Some of what he's claiming seems impossible. He races Enduro and rides his bike to every event. He'll ride 300km fully loaded, go 4 hours without water, 7 hours without food, sleep 3 hours on the side of the road then race an enduro. Seems to get most of his nutrition from gas stations and McDonalds.

Thoughts?

I don't think it's that much out of realm of possibility. The top riders who are doing Tour Divide basically are eating gas station food and getting ~3hrs of sleep a day. 2,745 miles in ~20 days, ~140 miles a day and guesstimate of ~20k climbing per a day.

I've been trying to ride painfully slower these days and can last ~3-4hrs on 1 bottle of water on a cool day.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
and about 6,000' worth of climbing between stages, not including a couple pre-ride days before. Just ask @UtahJoe or @muddybike how their legs were feelin after the EWS in Burke...
Funny looking back at this thread....I was in the hospital when it started so I must have missed it.....But that EWS made the bearscat seem like a beginner group ride at 6mile....So riding 150 miles to get to it? LOL, no thank you.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Just thinking about this thread wonder if he lived up to his reputation
Kid looks doughy for an ultra endurance athlete. Supposedly he’s had a couple of injuries and logistical issues this season. I’ll admit, his story is quite impressive but I still think there is some embellishment going on here.

Top Bottom