Thomson carbon drop bars

rlb

https://www.bikethomson.com/product/drop-bars/

Anyone run these, or have any feedback? I'm looking for something cushy on the road, and the reviews seem pretty good. I'm also concerned about gambling at this price point. Any others out there that are decent? Needs to be 46cm width, the other "quality" CF brands don't seem to go wider than 44.

I've never tried the Thomson bars but have had various carbon drop bars thru the years (3T, Ritchey, Cannondale, etc.). Up around that price point, I'd recommend going for Enves. I have 3 Enve bars and find the compact shape very comfortable. Very comfortable while strong. The compacts also come in 46.

Also another level on the price....

Reading the Thomson instructions, they recommend replacing their carbon parts every 3 years. Doesn't leave me feeling too excited about the product. Maybe I'll just stick with aluminum

Last edited:
I'm not too interested in the flared stuff at this point

Edit: However, Whisky does have minimal flared bars (6deg) in both alum and CF, might not be a bad place to start experimenting.

Last edited:
https://www.bikethomson.com/product/drop-bars/

Anyone run these, or have any feedback? I'm looking for something cushy on the road, and the reviews seem pretty good. I'm also concerned about gambling at this price point. Any others out there that are decent? Needs to be 46cm width, the other "quality" CF brands don't seem to go wider than 44.
I have 44 Enves I am selling. My 61 tarmac came with 44s. 46s are huge. For reference I am 6’3” with wide shoulders.

Yeah, the flared stuff is for the loonies
Easton road bars have always been solid and they typically have really muted graphics. This is my current bar on my EVO:

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/eas...4H5YRVq-82iu6DDFTCdU1jjfPQnd3AWBoCSAcQAvD_BwE

Compact bar, comes in 46

EA50 AL bars were going to be my fallback, I may just go that route and upgrade to CF later if I feel the need. The Easton stuff is same reach/drop in AL vs CF so that makes it an easy transition fit wise

I have 44 Enves I am selling. My 61 tarmac came with 44s. 46s are huge. For reference I am 6’3” with wide shoulders.

99.9% sure my SuperSix has 47 or 48 cm bars and my fit is pretty comfy on that bike. 44s definitely feel too small for me.

I'm not too interested in the flared stuff at this point

Edit: However, Whisky does have minimal flared bars (6deg) in both alum and CF, might not be a bad place to start experimenting.

That’s what the cowbells are home skillet but you do you. The hand position isn’t so far off that the handling gets funky.

99.9% sure my SuperSix has 47 or 48 cm bars and my fit is pretty comfy on that bike. 44s definitely feel too small for me.
Everyone is different. I thought my enve 44s were too small, ends up my frame was too small and I was cramped up.

Reactions: rlb
I have two of them, yet to be installed. They look nice in their bags sitting on my parts shelf. Hopefully when I get all of the parts needed to rebuild my Grade, I'll be able to give an opinion on the bars. I like things like bars to match, so eventually my Colnago will get the other bars, although finding a 31.8 stem to fit a 1" steerer has proven to be challenging. I may end up having to get one custom made (something to look into when I go to the Philly Bike Expo this weekend).

Reactions: rlb
So it's actually a 44 on my super six lol

I have a spare bar stamped 46, which actually measures 44 (center to center, I guess the stamped dimension is edge to edge?). Anyway, I held that up to my existing bar and it appeared that it was wider, hence why I was "so sure" my current bike was > 46

I swear I previously had an EA50 44cm that was too small on another bike, so I dunno wtf is true anymore. Excuse me while I go make up some more shit.

So it's actually a 44 on my super six lol

I have a spare bar stamped 46, which actually measures 44 (center to center, I guess the stamped dimension is edge to edge?). Anyway, I held that up to my existing bar and it appeared that it was wider, hence why I was "so sure" my current bike was > 46

I swear I previously had an EA50 44cm that was too small on another bike, so I dunno wtf is true anymore. Excuse me while I go make up some more shit.

go see what @jdog has hanging on the wall, and he can also size you for bars while at it.....

I have some 44cm FSA bars and a nice Ritchey logic 44 id part with. I’ve moved to 42s on all of my bikes.

I love the FSA bars with the shallow drop.

Back
Top Bottom