This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

I go to Mom's organic market. They're more expensive than most stores. Only thing they were sold out of was hand sanitizer.

not sure how but stop & shop said they are 10 days behind in deliveries. This thing is only 11 days old here.

I hit up shop rite for my usual Friday nite shopping spree. Shelves were sporadically low, plenty of TP and paper towels. They were out of carrots and onions only things I really needed, while most veggies still available.

The check out lines were mobbed. Old lady in front of me had about 2000 cans of cat food $403.00, and a loaf of bread..... weird

I hit up shop rite for my usual Friday nite shopping spree. Shelves were sporadically low, plenty of TP and paper towels. They were out of carrots and onions only things I really needed, while most veggies still available.

The check out lines were mobbed. Old lady in front of me had about 2000 cans of cat food $403.00, and a loaf of bread..... weird

Cat food sandwiches?

We just hit wegmans for hot peppers, ice cream, and a few other snacks. It wasn't that crowded, but there were definitely some empty shelves.

And if the government tried to shut the borders down in December or January, you'd all be bitching about trampling your rights, xenophobia, etc. And its because we don't have enough testing kits too, right? Any other bullshit reasons you want to throw out there?
Those are your thoughts not mine

Here's my take on the thing. I'm not worried for the welfare of my family as it really has a slim chance of effecting our health, but even if we get a mild case we could help spread this crap so it makes sense to follow the whole social distancing and you should too. If you are in the bad demographic, old, immunosuppressed, breathing issues, then you should really be careful(my mother - but she's a moron - yes you read that right). I am not worried about supply issues but I was in Shoprite this morning getting supplies to make sure my wife and children would be safe and at ease. The funny thing is that this meant a half cart of groceries while others in the store had heaping carts or multiple carts and running around the store. I did score everything on my list including TP. Yes you may ask why I was home being a teacher, that's because on Wednesday I went to the doctor and I was diagnosed with strep after having a sore throat from the previous day that developed into fever, body aches, chills, headache, and everything that pointed to the flu.

I was dreading that I wouldn't even get an appointment since all this shit was going on. Surprisingly enough I got right in and was able to talk to my doctor about some of this nonsense. She said that people have simple coughs or sneezing and they think they have it. They have to interview them on the phone, talk over their symptoms and then say stay home, take some over the counter cold medicine and stop wasting their time. She was happy to see someone like me that actually had treatable symptoms of something real. She reassured me to that there was no need to panic and someone in my situation with my family just needs to wash hands stay clean and the social distancing will help.

My school is closed as of now for the next two weeks at MINIMUM. I expect it may be more. We have switched to a distance learning model and while it will be semi effective it has yet to be tested and I'm curious as to how it will work out. We are expected to be available to respond to questions which is understandable. The funny thing that was announced at my school is that when school hours are usually in session, it was suggested that we should be glued to computers awaiting questions. I can assure that will NOT happen. It's just as easy for us to respond to questions while getting stuff done that needs to be done. I get the idea but it just seems silly. My daughters preschool is closed as of Monday as well. I thought it might be silly earlier in the year, but we did hire a nanny and now this move is going to prove to be GOLD. I love my kids but I don't know what I would do if I have to work from home and take care of my kids at the same time. We'll see how this all unfolds soon.

I'll be making a trip to a 24hr supermarket at 2am...just to be safe. Too many people coughing (and not covering) during the daytime.

Here's my take on the thing. I'm not worried for the welfare of my family as it really has a slim chance of effecting our health, but even if we get a mild case we could help spread this crap so it makes sense to follow the whole social distancing and you should too. If you are in the bad demographic, old, immunosuppressed, breathing issues, then you should really be careful(my mother - but she's a moron - yes you read that right). I am not worried about supply issues but I was in Shoprite this morning getting supplies to make sure my wife and children would be safe and at ease. The funny thing is that this meant a half cart of groceries while others in the store had heaping carts or multiple carts and running around the store. I did score everything on my list including TP. Yes you may ask why I was home being a teacher, that's because on Wednesday I went to the doctor and I was diagnosed with strep after having a sore throat from the previous day that developed into fever, body aches, chills, headache, and everything that pointed to the flu.

I was dreading that I wouldn't even get an appointment since all this shit was going on. Surprisingly enough I got right in and was able to talk to my doctor about some of this nonsense. She said that people have simple coughs or sneezing and they think they have it. They have to interview them on the phone, talk over their symptoms and then say stay home, take some over the counter cold medicine and stop wasting their time. She was happy to see someone like me that actually had treatable symptoms of something real. She reassured me to that there was no need to panic and someone in my situation with my family just needs to wash hands stay clean and the social distancing will help.

My school is closed as of now for the next two weeks at MINIMUM. I expect it may be more. We have switched to a distance learning model and while it will be semi effective it has yet to be tested and I'm curious as to how it will work out. We are expected to be available to respond to questions which is understandable. The funny thing that was announced at my school is that when school hours are usually in session, it was suggested that we should be glued to computers awaiting questions. I can assure that will NOT happen. It's just as easy for us to respond to questions while getting stuff done that needs to be done. I get the idea but it just seems silly. My daughters preschool is closed as of Monday as well. I thought it might be silly earlier in the year, but we did hire a nanny and now this move is going to prove to be GOLD. I love my kids but I don't know what I would do if I have to work from home and take care of my kids at the same time. We'll see how this all unfolds soon.
One interesting question that will arise from this is why can’t it all be distance learning going forward.

It’s absolutely not the same, but it’s going to be asked nonetheless.

I gave a talk I have been giving for years the other day, this time virtually.
I can’t speak to the receiving end, but not being face to face was really disconnected for me.

One interesting question that will arise from this is why can’t it all be distance learning going forward.

It’s absolutely not the same, but it’s going to be asked nonetheless.

I gave a talk I have been giving for years the other day, this time virtually.
I can’t speak to the receiving end, but not being face to face was really disconnected for me.
Agreed it’s a good question but accountability and depth of knowledge is not easy to gauge without person to person dialogue. Plus it all goes back to test scores and funding.

Mrs. said shop rite Hillsborough was norm today. Even got milk. There was bread and she passed on buying lol.

4:40 work email, we will cut back on some office personnel. I was on the last group to WFH. (My reaction. This sucks. Pay me more to risk getting this virus)

9:30 never mind, change of plans, only directors and above are required in office

damn it she should have bought the bread

@xc62701 i’m surprised she even checked you. I was talking to kids pediatrician and he said something along the lines that they would make you answer some questions over the phone and then if they think you are a risk coming into a doctor office then don’t come in and notify your local health Dept.

they had a super-spreader - early on. so to answer your question, yes there is a waiting period until someone brings it "in". that part of the math is discrete. there was no reason beyond chance that it was italy and iran early.

it really doesn't have anything to do with the size of the population until it starts running out of people to infect.

Nope, it doesn’t work like that. And you just wanted to use the word discrete.

Italy, which I have direct experience with, was a case of Italians being Italians.

Government refused to impose travel ban and quarantine to the Chinese National returning from China calling it racist and xenophobic. Remind you of anybody?

In Tuscany, where I was born and grew up (not that much though) and my 77 years old mother lives, the Chinese community leaders asked the governor if they should impose quarantine on their fellow countrymen coming back from the homeland. They were told that it wouldn’t be appropriate. Well, those wise men took it upon themselves to instruct their fellow countrymen to self quarantine and even rented houses in remote locations to that purpose. As a result Tuscany had a low count of cases, cases that are mostly originated by Italian northerners that decided to ignore the recommendations of the government and moved to their second homes on the Tuscan coastal area.

On top of that people were not taking it seriously, ignored the Government recommendations to stay put and kept going to crowded places, watch football games in 100’000 seats full stadiums etc...until now, with hospitals incapable to provide the needed care to everybody that need it. Now they complain about the government poor response...because they were not forced to stay home earlier.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom