This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

Just thinking out loud... with the low(er) death rate (insert reason here), are we using the number of infections as a reason to keep this as an emergency? And hypothetically, are there any groups that would like to keep this as an emergency?

What.

Edit: Alright, let me expand on that. I'm trying to interpret how what you wrote could be interpreted to be an honest, good faith question and not a thinly veiled way of trying to make a political point or otherwise advance some kind of conspiracy theory. I haven't come up with much.

Last edited:
What.

Edit: Alright, let me expand on that. I'm trying to interpret how what you wrote could be interpreted to be an honest, good faith question and not a thinly veiled way of trying to make a political point or otherwise advance some kind of conspiracy theory. I haven't come up with much.
I'm a simpleton. They are just yes/no questions that ruminate in my head. Too much time at home, I guess.

Believe it or not, I've never had it.

Just thinking out loud... with the low(er) death rate (insert reason here), are we using the number of infections as a reason to keep this as an emergency? And hypothetically, are there any groups that would like to keep this as an emergency?
Because you asked the question, you already know the answer, and I would leave it at that. Lest you want to ignite a shitstorm the culminates in multiple people having strokes and visiting the timeout box.

Because you asked the question, you already know the answer, and I would leave it at that. Lest you want to ignite a shitstorm the culminates in multiple people having strokes and visiting the timeout box.
I don't have any answers for anyone. Just asking questions because I don't know. Naturally inquisitive.

I'm a RN in the ER, and I've largely avoided this thread because, well it's a bike site and I've already stepped away from some other sites of interest due to these convos. I will say that compared to 2020, this isn't even remotely in the same ballpark. I will also say that a lot of policies made/being made as of late are head-scratchingly bad. NYS just mandated that all HCWs get boosters; the boosters don't really do anything for transmission (as the testing numbers show), and most of us have had Covid, and were mandated to get the vaccine (self included). According to his exalted Covdiness, Fauci, that makes us "bulletproof." So the booster mandate thing is silly.

Further, ALL vaccines that require boosters first require you get your titers checked. Except this time. Because, science.:rolleyes: Or something. Additionally, we are being sent back to work after 5 days of testing positive, this despite the latest sciences saying that you are infectious 6-10 days out. Again, science.:rolleyes: Lastly, CA has just "allowed" HCWs to return to work if Covid+. To put that insanity into perspective; you will lose your job if you are unvaccinated because you are a danger to your patients, but you can be vaccinated and treat patients if you are Covid+. Yet again, science.:rolleyes:

So, was it bad, horrific? Yes. Is it agenda-driven and out of control now? Also yes. Both are true, and both are killing my profession. Use your masks, get your vaccines, isolate in your basement, whatever you feel you need to do to feel safe and protect those you care about. But don't put your head in the sand about the reality of the policies being forced on all of us, regardless of ideology; we are in dangerous times, the virus is not in the top 5 on that list, at least right now.

There's plenty of science-y stuff I'd be happy to discuss, so from here on in that is where I will try to keep my participation in this thread.

Last edited:
What.

maybe I’m naive, but I thought it was a legitimately asked question.

To me, it’s still an emergency. People are dying and the hospital system seems to be overloaded in many places.

maybe I’m naive, but I thought it was a legitimately asked question.

To me, it’s still an emergency. People are dying and the hospital system seems to be overloaded in many places.

The question about whether restrictions are based on case numbers, hospitalizations, deaths, etc is fair enough but the "are there groups that would like to keep this emergency" seems like a pretty blatant attempt to start a political argument to me.

The question about whether restrictions are based on case numbers, hospitalizations, deaths, etc is fair enough but the "are there groups that would like to keep this emergency" seems like a pretty blatant attempt to start a political argument to me.
The funny thing is, what group would really want an emergency? Even if you say Big Pharma, or some political party, nobody in those groups doesn’t want to be able to travel, have to wear a mask, just not be able to live in a normal world. I think any of the people who believe that there is some conspiracy are a little delusional.

Thanks @Bikeworks !
Honestly, the guidelines and rules are terrible!!! Just like you said it’s ass backwards and make no sense!

Teachers and students are allowed to go back to school if after close contact and no symptoms. Hello, did we learn Omnicron does not give a shit?! It doesn’t discriminate vax or not.

Well now, 6 days after my 5 days isolation and 5 days at home with mask, my wife is vid positive. Honestly, I’m fucking over it. My grandma is 93. She got over covid too. Do we wishy washy move on per guidelines, mandates, employer rules or do we just really move on and say fuck it all?! I’m starting to become the later party. This is not the same Covid-19 that shocked the world (different variant and vaccines). What happened to flatten the curve? Lol. No more talk of that! We just need a shutdown. It’s just hysteria now.

My youngest kids daycare class (all unvaxed) has like 15 kids in it. Someone in there has covid. You know it.

Further, ALL vaccines that require boosters first require you get your titers checked. Except this time. Because, science.:rolleyes: Or something. Additionally, we are being sent back to work after 5 days of testing positive, this despite the latest sciences saying that you are infectious 6-10 days out. Again, science.:rolleyes: Lastly, CA has just "allowed" HCWs to return to work if Covid+. To put that insanity into perspective; you will lose your job if you are unvaccinated because you are a danger to your patients, but you can be vaccinated and treat patients if you are Covid+. Yet again, science.:rolleyes:
Conflicting goals generate conflicting (or at least weird/confusing) policies. When there's not enough staff, what are the options? Turn people away or start chipping away at the rules regarding who can work and when?

You apparently can't follow any of this. The daily new cases are heading for a peak - probably another week or two. Deaths will peak about 2 weeks later.
3 weeks

"Deaths can generally be predicted by looking at hospitalizations and counting backward by three weeks, suggesting that deaths will almost double in the next three weeks, said Dr. David Dowdy, an epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. But it's still possible that deaths will not rise as sharply as cases and hospitalizations have, he added."

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

3 weeks

"Deaths can generally be predicted by looking at hospitalizations and counting backward by three weeks, suggesting that deaths will almost double in the next three weeks, said Dr. David Dowdy, an epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. But it's still possible that deaths will not rise as sharply as cases and hospitalizations have, he added."

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

So saying "about 2 weeks" when it might be 3 weeks is "wrong"? Hilarious! So how wrong will your 400K+ more covid deaths over the next year prediction be??

200.gif

I'm a RN in the ER, and I've largely avoided this thread because, well it's a bike site and I've already stepped away from some other sites of interest due to these convos. I will say that compared to 2020, this isn't even remotely in the same ballpark. I will also say that a lot of policies made/being made as of late are head-scratchingly bad. NYS just mandated that all HCWs get boosters; the boosters don't really do anything for transmission (as the testing numbers show), and most of us have had Covid, and were mandated to get the vaccine (self included). According to his exalted Covdiness, Fauci, that makes us "bulletproof." So the booster mandate thing is silly.

So, was it bad, horrific? Yes. Is it agenda-driven and out of control now? Also yes. Both are true, and both are killing my profession. Use your masks, get your vaccines, isolate in your basement, whatever you feel you need to do to feel safe and protect those you care about. But don't put your head in the sand about the reality of the policies being forced on all of us, regardless of ideology; we are in dangerous times, the virus is not in the top 5 on that list, at least right now.

There's plenty of science-y stuff I'd be happy to discuss, so from here on in that is where I will try to keep my participation in this thread.
Thank you!
Even if you say Big Pharma, or some political party, nobody in those groups doesn’t want to be able to travel, have to wear a mask, just not be able to live in a normal world.
Has there been people that applied the rules/laws but don't follow them? Have parties put on masks just for the camera but forced you to wear a mask? Have a few people gone on vacation to another state while their state is in locked down? Does it seem like the rules for one is not for everyone else?

Big pharma is a company and their only goal is to make money. Nothing else. Have they profited from this pandemic? Paid by our taxes BTW.

Lastly and you might call it 'conspiracy theory'.. have there been Acts from the government that took advantage of a problem only to gainful forward their cause? i.e. Patriot Act.

Sorry I didn't know thinking and asking about this subject was verboten. This will be my last post on this thread. Have a good day! :)

The funny thing is, what group would really want an emergency? Even if you say Big Pharma, or some political party, nobody in those groups doesn’t want to be able to travel, have to wear a mask, just not be able to live in a normal world. I think any of the people who believe that there is some conspiracy are a little delusional.
A group (any group that likes to obtain/gain/keep power) would like to create/keep an emergency so said group can also come in as your savior. The times we live in, many (way beyond politicians) see an emergency as an opportunity. Its been the nature of things, globally, forever. Create/perpetuate a problem so that you can take credit/profit by solving it (or dragging it out forever).

Thank you!

Has there been people that applied the rules/laws but don't follow them? Have parties put on masks just for the camera but forced you to wear a mask? Have a few people gone on vacation to another state while their state is in locked down? Does it seem like the rules for one is not for everyone else?

Big pharma is a company and their only goal is to make money. Nothing else. Have they profited from this pandemic? Paid by our taxes BTW.

Lastly and you might call it 'conspiracy theory'.. have there been Acts from the government that took advantage of a problem only to gainful forward their cause? i.e. Patriot Act.

Sorry I didn't know thinking and asking about this subject was verboten. This will be my last post on this thread. Have a good day! :)

Policy that drives behavior can be questioned - But it is the policy that needs to be attacked, not the political party or person.

Follow-the-money is usually a good start - I'd say the initial response to covid, "don't panic, keep going," was an attempt to protect the stock market/vacation market as spring travel season was getting ready to ramp-up. Then there was a realization that they would overwhelm the healthcare industry.
Are decisions driven by liability? Are law firms lining-up to file suit against any company that required workers to go to an office that could work remotely?
Or if they find a firm didn't do everything "required and beyond" to protect employees that had to be on-site? (ie Amazon)

I don't think the virus was intentionally released, even if it was engineered, cause mutations can't be predicted.
BTW - the latest James Bond has a weapon concept has been around for years.

Pharma gaining, but look at all the losers. How in the world are the airline, hotels, cruise companies still in business? not to mention all the ones in-between.
Are they all betting on pent-up demand?

who went to the mall in 2020? $5,000 or so in stimulus money per person really saved the economy? Emptying unemployment reserves?

I'm a big proponent of the situation drives the decisions, not the other way around. Take the best knowledge at the time, figure out the trade-offs,
and go. When more info comes in, pivot. Problem is, when there is a pivot, it is seen as "they didn't know what they were doing" -

If one place makes one decision, and another chooses a different path, should we just be observing the results, and learning rather than saying the other side is uninformed/scared?
Gets back to those trade-offs.

Just don't make up fake shit like my rights are being taken away if i have to wear a mask in a crowded deli.

Last edited:
A group (any group that likes to obtain/gain/keep power) would like to create/keep an emergency so said group can also come in as your savior. The times we live in, many (way beyond politicians) see an emergency as an opportunity. Its been the nature of things, globally, forever. Create/perpetuate a problem so that you can take credit/profit by solving it (or dragging it out forever).
Yes! This exactly! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom