This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

Pretty amazing that someone would even consider going out with friends (or even to a restaurant alone) with covid.
No shit. You have to be a quite a dick to knowingly expose friends (or anyone, for that matter).

My wife is totally wiped out. Day 3 for her. I managed to crawl into the basement for 30 minutes on the trainer today.

So our neighbor here just had a case of the Paxlovid rebound-
that's about 80% of the people we know who have taken it.
Considering the reported rates are 1%,
I wonder WTF is going on with our friends and family.

Would you go to a dinner with 8 friends if one mentioned they currently have Covid, but only minor symptoms?
I thought that was a hypothetical question...
He just got guilted into not coming. Now I get to drive to Queens tonight for dinner.
...but I guess not...
I've known these guys since we were in third grade. Some were jerks back then, some still are.
...sounds like an accurate assessment of the situation!

Honestly, I'm almost out of it and I'm ok but don't feel like going anywhere or being social at all...which was also the case before covid.

Clinical trials (not omicron) were around 1%. Now they are saying more like 10%. I bet it is even higher. Omicron is so mild (especially if vaxxed) unless you have multiple comorbidities, best to avoid Pax and ride it out. I bet we get better immunity as well not taking it.

Would you recommend buying Pfizer's stocks these days, all considered? They seem to be doing great with their product lately...blue pill fanatics need not to answer that...

Clinical trials (not omicron) were around 1%. Now they are saying more like 10%. I bet it is even higher. Omicron is so mild (especially if vaxxed) unless you have multiple comorbidities, best to avoid Pax and ride it out. I bet we get better immunity as well not taking it.
Makes me wonder if rebound rates are higher for BA.5, just like the infection rates among the vaxxed

Would you recommend buying Pfizer's stocks these days, all considered? They seem to be doing great with their product lately...blue pill fanatics need not to answer that...
The Franklin Mint says they will just go up in value, you be the judge.

I didn't get a percentage but when I inquired about Paxlovid, the doctor I consulted told me she had seen a number of rebound cases as well as patients who felt worse after the treatment. Didn't seem like a great deal to me.

I didn't get a percentage but when I inquired about Paxlovid, the doctor I consulted told me she had seen a number of rebound cases as well as patients who felt worse after the treatment. Didn't seem like a great deal to me.
Yeah, even if the rebound is the same, (not worse), you are still extending the whole thing if you rebound,
which does not sound like a good deal to me.

Without comment, cause what changed in 3 months?

View attachment 196534
Consistently, and to all our detriment, the one variable left out of most (all?) these reports are previous infection status. Testing has been widespread enough (maybe too much) to allow for its inclusion; it's an extremely important variable when considering herd immunity and epidemiology. A second, less important variable to include would be comorbidities (if any). The exclusion of both makes it hard to discount latent (or not) biases underpinning the data reporting.

Consistently, and to all our detriment, the one variable left out of most (all?) these reports are previous infection status. Testing has been widespread enough (maybe too much) to allow for its inclusion; it's an extremely important variable when considering herd immunity and epidemiology. A second, less important variable to include would be comorbidities (if any). The exclusion of both makes it hard to discount latent (or not) biases underpinning the data reporting.

Why would these not be equally distributed across the independent variable?

this is a common reaction when (former) scientists get drunk . . .

Very funny.

The graph displayed deaths by vax status.

The comment was about the data and co morbidities, prev infection et Al.

My q is why would these not be evenly distributed over the vax status question?
(@jmanic, is that chi sq analysis?)
Do people with a higher risk decided the vaccine is more risky than the disease? Thus they die at a higher rate anyway?
Or are they more likely to get vaxed so more people are dying that were healthy cause not vaxd?

the graph seems to say vaxd people do >3x better.

If someone said to me covid kills x% of everyone that gets it, I'd look for secondary variables (cohorts?) That cause it to cluster. This is where co morbidities were exposed as risk factors very early.

Very funny.

The graph displayed deaths by vax status.

The comment was about the data and co morbidities, prev infection et Al.

My q is why would these not be evenly distributed over the vax status question?
(@jmanic, is that chi sq analysis?)
Do people with a higher risk decided the vaccine is more risky than the disease? Thus they die at a higher rate anyway?
Or are they more likely to get vaxed so more people are dying that were healthy cause not vaxd?

the graph seems to say vaxd people do >3x better.

If someone said to me covid kills x% of everyone that gets it, I'd look for secondary variables (cohorts?) That cause it to cluster. This is where co morbidities were exposed as risk factors very early.
I think you are probably smarter than me with statistical analysis, which isn't saying much as I suck with numbers, lol. My point was that those who have previously recovered from covid represent a significant population, and their vaccine status is also likely very high (simply due to the amount of people vaccinated). Presumably, those who are unvaccinated and died also were not previously infected, or they were infected with another strain that didn't offer broad, long-lasting immunity. Or, they had comorbidities. Or any combination of those things.

So again, not knowing the recovered numbers, and the comorbidity numbers, leaves a big gap when it comes to interpreting this data. It is, in my simple mind, similar to comparing in vitro with in vivo; sure the first is promising, but there is a huge variable/cohort not being accounted for here.

Back
Top Bottom