This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So yea, tl;dr. Agencies want things to be simple and straightforward for the public to digest during a pandemic. Whether they get it right is another story.

Unfortunately, its not unlike when i tell someone what is wrong with their car. you got about 1 maybe 2 good sentences to get your point across, then everyone has tuned out. So the policy of: just get the vaccine and wear your mask makes sense to me.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think the problem is that you can’t prove it? I know the vax cards are easy to forge but it’s something. Anyone can say they took an at home Covid test and quarantined and now they’re good.
Blood test, no different than showing a card. Both can be equally faked.

If the concern is the person having antibodies, both should be equal.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
But the point people are trying to make out is previous infection can provide more benefit than the vaccine and the CDC is confirming this.

I had both vaccines pretty early on so my immunity has probably wavered a large amount. Yet I can get into bars/restaurants in the city, theaters in NJ, etc while someone who has natural immunity without a vaccine cannot.

If the concern is the person having antibodies, both should be equal.

Ok, this makes sense to me. However, I don't know why we still are requiring proof of vaccine for anything. Anyone that wants to be vaccinated has been able to be vaccinated for a very long time now. Anyone that feels safer wearing a mask can do that for added protection when they go out in the world. People that are afraid can stay home. At this point it shouldn't matter. Push for vaccines (but don't mandate them) and let people go about their lives. Anyone that doesn't want the protection from a vaccine will eventually get natural immunity. It doesn't seem likely that the hospitals will get overwhelmed at this point, though a new variant can/will change that at some point.

thegock

Anyone that feels safer wearing a mask can do that for added protection when they go out in the world. People that are afraid can stay home.

Yeah, except the mask is more effective at protecting the OTHER person, not the one who is wearing it. My assumption is that you understand that, JTBC.

Or, as Aaron Rodgers new helmet sticker says: "Only my life matters."

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

MANH ATAN PXL_20220122_160358525.MP-01-01.jpg

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, except the mask is more effective at protecting the OTHER person, not the one who is wearing it. My assumption is that you understand that, JTBC.

Sure, but wearing a mask probably does more than nothing for you, though I've never really felt that wearing a cotton mask does a whole lot. People that want to be protected should get vaccinated or get natural immunity if that is their preference.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
People that are afraid can stay home.
I think a lot of these people are tired of being afraid and don’t want to stay home anymore. They probably make a big percentage of the people pushing for the vax mandates. It’s easy to say tough shit to them, but they do have some points.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think a lot of these people are tired of being afraid and don’t want to stay home anymore. They probably make a big percentage of the people pushing for the vax mandates. It’s easy to say tough shit to them, but they do have some points.

It's impossible to enforce that everyone is vaccinated though. If they are vaccinated (and wear an N95 mask if they are really worried), then they shouldn't be afraid to go out into the world.

rick81721

Lothar
Ok, this makes sense to me. However, I don't know why we still are requiring proof of vaccine for anything. Anyone that wants to be vaccinated has been able to be vaccinated for a very long time now. Anyone that feels safer wearing a mask can do that for added protection when they go out in the world. People that are afraid can stay home. At this point it shouldn't matter. Push for vaccines (but don't mandate them) and let people go about their lives. Anyone that doesn't want the protection from a vaccine will eventually get natural immunity. It doesn't seem likely that the hospitals will get overwhelmed at this point, though a new variant can/will change that at some point.

Yep especially since the SC ruled business mandates are illegal. Only healthcare workers can be mandated to get vaccinated (which btw I agree with). Everyone else, your choice.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's impossible to enforce that everyone is vaccinated though. If they are vaccinated (and wear an N95 mask if they are really worried), then they shouldn't be afraid to go out into the world.
When I say vax mandate, I meant for entry into gyms, restaurants, jobs, etc.

FTR, I am 100% against that shit, but I do so the points that this group makes.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
When I say vax mandate, I meant for entry into gyms, restaurants, jobs, etc.

FTR, I am 100% against that shit, but I do so the points that this group makes.

Yeah, I just don't see why people feel the vaccine should be mandatory for those things. My wife and I are vaccinated, I don't care if the other people in the restaurant are or not. If I had some pre-existing condition and was extra worried about it, I'd wear an N95 mask. I've accepted that I'll probably be getting a jab in the arm every ~6 months for a very long time, and I'm ok with that. If other people don't want to be vaccinated, then I'm not really concerned about it. They'll get natural immunity instead. Though I agree with Rick (time to lock this thread maybe) that healthcare workers should be required to be vaccinated.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Who sees more people - a nurse or the person working the check-out at the grocery?
And the nurse is trained to not spread. Grocery person it touching everything that goes by.

Who has the study on where people are catching covid (besides at home) ?

I think being hungry has made me irritable. I'll stop now.
do i need to put up the "i'm sorry" avatar yet?

thegock

Lol, yeah people don't go to Walmart expecting to be around healthy, disease free people. I think they still have self-checkouts there though, right?
Wal Mart has the most aggressive self check bias and I'm not that good at the job 😉

Patrick

Staff member
Lol, yeah people don't go to Walmart expecting to be around healthy, disease free people. I think they still have self-checkouts there though, right?

they do - they take longer than the "professional" line.

onmyhotline-honeycardi.gif

ebarker9

I was hoping the pandemic would speed up the adoption of check out procedures like this:

The idea that I have to battle my way around a store putting things in a cart, then stand in line, take things back out of the cart, scan them, repackage them to go into the cart again, and then pay is craziness.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The idea that I have to battle my way around a store putting things in a cart, then stand in line, take things back out of the cart, scan them, repackage them to go into the cart again, and then pay is craziness.

It's not quite as cool as that, but Wegmans has an app you can use to scan everything as you pick it up and put it into your bag in the cart. Then you just use your phone to scan a barcode on the self checkout machine, double click for Apple Pay, and walk out the door. Stop and Shop years ago had Scan-It (or something like that), where you picked up a handheld scanner to do essentially the same thing. Waiting on line at the grocery store is for suckers.

Patrick

Staff member
It's not quite as cool as that, but Wegmans has an app you can use to scan everything as you pick it up and put it into your bag in the cart. Then you just use your phone to scan a barcode on the self checkout machine, double click for Apple Pay, and walk out the door. Stop and Shop years ago had Scan-It (or something like that), where you picked up a handheld scanner to do essentially the same thing. Waiting on line at the grocery store is for suckers.

instacart - ride while someone else shops.
i should take that advice.

Top Bottom