Thinking of doing the Entire Canal Path

jim, are you considering doing this as an out + back???
Out & back? That might be the most mind numbing experience every! Well that is unless you get raped in Trenton.

section closed

FYI, the spillway between Weston Rd. and Amwell Rd. is CLOSED for construction. At least it was when I rode on 06/09/2013. See attached img. Enjoy! PM me too. I know a few more that'd love to do this...DO IT FOR MOOCH!

Attachments

• DRC_Closed_Spillway.jpg
    DRC_Closed_Spillway.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Out and back is a bit much, one way is enough torture for me. The scenery doesn't change at all for 6 hours. To make it interesting one of us can pretend to be Rex Kramer Danger Seeker and recreate this scene from Kentucky Fried Movie while we're in Trenton...

rex-kramer.jpg

-Jim.

FYI, the spillway between Weston Rd. and Amwell Rd. is CLOSED for construction. At least it was when I rode on 06/09/2013. See attached img. Enjoy! PM me too. I know a few more that'd love to do this...DO IT FOR MOOCH!

Re-opened recently.

Ah... the spillway... I've been wondering what the heck they've been doing... I drive past there on 514 every day.

Having ridden through Camden on a road bike in the middle of Summer as well as various questionable areas of Philly, I'd say don't worry too much about Trenton. By the time they figure out you might be a target, you'll be gone. I would argue a large group would attract attention... 2-3 would offer good "defense numbers" while staying reasonably stealthy.

Are you guys doing this this weekend?
I may ride down to NB and meet up and ride the whole thing then home.
Either day this weekend works for me.

It is confirmed, it is OPEN!!

Greetings!
My goal this summer is to try to do the entire canal path from New Brunswick to Frenchtown. I was planning of parking my car at Johnson Park in NB and having my wife pick me up and have a nice lunch when I am done.

My questions are: has anyone else done this before? I have a 29er and a Trek FX Fitness bike. Which would you recommend? Any suggestions on getting through Trenton without getting mugged? If I decide to take the FX Bike, I have an Ultegra wheelset with 700x23 tires. I would want to put a cyclocross tire on this bike. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your advice!

And you thought this was going to be a nice easy quiet ride.....meh!

was hoping for the fall when temps are reasonable (and i'm on vacation the next couple weekends!) take some pics if you go.

Wow, I didn't expect such a response. I was just doing some recon. I was probably going to try it one day during the week to ensure that there would be minimal foot traffic on the trail. I guess I can do it on Sunday if you want. I will most likely ride my 29er unless I can get some Cyclocross tires for my FX Bike.

The plan was to start in Johnson Park in Piscataway, in the parking lot just north of Landing Lane.

Back
Top Bottom