The Queen got a neo-classic Convertible

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
if you care about the car at all you will make sure the cover is un-necessary.

freaking amateur hour here

really....

1622815960502.png

while i'd love to protect my "investment" - it isn't rare, or have provenance.

------

i met the guy who owned the 300zx from the superbowl commercial. He couldn't prove it, but the writer from jalopnik
picked up the story, just after he sold the car.

he also owns one of those mclaren capri things, and manx, and some weird fiesta that was modified for racing that was featured in motor trend(?)

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
really....

View attachment 159116

while i'd love to protect my "investment" - it isn't rare, or have provenance.

------

i met the guy who owned the 300zx from the superbowl commercial. He couldn't prove it, but the writer from jalopnik
picked up the story, just after he sold the car.

he also owns one of those mclaren capri things, and manx, and some weird fiesta that was modified for racing that was featured in motor trend(?)

the garage was a mess, but youll notice there is nothing that can damage the car within reach of it ;) (and no car cover)

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i pulled into a tire shop in myrtle beach with a nail in the tire.
parked the truck with the tire turned out and the nail up - so they could just stick a plug in it.
the guy asks for the keys, i don't really think about it.
next thing you know it is on the lift and they charge me $50.
Hell if they charged me $20 and did it in 10 minutes, i probably would have thrown the tech another $10.
but no - long wait, and then boom - i must have been sleeping after driving down overnight.
Plugs suck. $50 for a patch is getting up there, but if done right it'll last as long as the tire.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The old IROC's and TA's had different stagger on front and rear wheels and some were directional. You had to dismount and rebalance all four to do a simple tire rotation. Good times.
Making all four rims the same save all kinds of nonsense, like if you kill a rim you don't need to find a left or right. Directional stuff was all the rage in the 90's tho.

Reactions: don

Patrick

Staff member
Plugs suck. $50 for a patch is getting up there, but if done right it'll last as long as the tire.

they plugged it - it just never dawned on the guy to check or have someone spot the nail for him.
the combo plug patch thing seems to be catching on?
who wants to take a wheel off a car, a tire off a rim, patch, re-mount, balance, replace.
no way it takes less than 30 minutes for the labor, then the write up.
i really should have just popped in an autoparts store and picked up a plug kit.
10 hours of driving will do that to ya.

The old IROC's and TA's had different stagger on front and rear wheels and some were directional. You had to dismount and rebalance all four to do a simple tire rotation. Good times.
Making all four rims the same save all kinds of nonsense, like if you kill a rim you don't need to find a left or right. Directional stuff was all the rage in the 90's tho.

just don't rotate the tires. ????
it is kinda dumb anyway - it costs money to rotate them, then all 4 wear out at the same time and
rather than replacing 2, it is replacing 4.
;)

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
they plugged it - it just never dawned on the guy to check or have someone spot the nail for him.
the combo plug patch thing seems to be catching on?
who wants to take a wheel off a car, a tire off a rim, patch, re-mount, balance, replace.
no way it takes less than 30 minutes for the labor, then the write up.
i really should have just popped in an autoparts store and picked up a plug kit.
10 hours of driving will do that to ya.
Just like oil changes, it's not a profitable service but if you're a tire shop it's kinda part of the deal.

I've seen all kinds of stupid with plugs and fixed many a leaker. Patches are more gooder. We were hesitant on the combo plug/patch as you have to ream the tire and make the hole bigger. If it's like a tiny finish nail hole, you're doing more harm to the tire.
Plugs will certainly get you down the road though.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
if your parking it in a garage why bother?

if your parking it outside prepare for chaffed paint if you put a cover on it.

This. Don't do a paint correction then pull a cover across your paint.

Is the color Guards Red? Look at Doctor Colorchip kits. I wonder how faded that color is at this point...

GTCHAMPION1

Looking like a monday delivery on the car.
They use some sort of reverse bidding for the shipper, and they can't pick the time/date down to the half day.
(this also sounds like bs.) I'm not available until sunday afternoon, after the group ride, so.....

So far:
paint correction/chip fix - this fall?
Lug nuts/bolts - There is a stud conversion kit - if i do new wheels at some point in the future, that may be on the table.
New top - it looks kinda ratty in the pics. $500 and a half day work. there are some other items to be replaced when doing it - we'll see.
Air vents - get some sort of grill on there - i'm going to have to clean-out anything accumulated
modern infotainment - b/u camera (idky), usb ports - this is going to take a day or so.
Headlights - so many options. both cosmetic and performance oriented.
Bumperette delete - gotta go. Seems some sort of bike rack could be incorporated here. but nah.
Shorten the shift lever - wtf were they thinking?
Car cover - whatdya think, fitted, or generic?

IMS bearing info - yes, stories of failure at low miles. 10% fail before 90,000.
Assuming i don't hear any weird noises, I'll do the clutch next year, and bearing at the same time.
The motor does not need to be dropped - just pull the trans.
fun stuff - i don't know! under-drive pulleys, better breathing, and exhaust, sport tune. can spend quite a bit for 30hp gain.

yeah cars?
Do not do underdrive pulleys, will cause vibration internally and increase the chances to ruin your engine, only cars that have a blue-printed engine and balanced crankshaft can run lighter pulleys but still have a harmonic balancer due to the increase of power. I have seen many engines with crank and rod problems due to lighter pulleys, from Hondas, Mercedes, BMW and Nissans... You will not feel that vibration but it will cause premature wear to the engine ... usually the fun last about 15k miles

Patrick

Staff member
Do not do underdrive pulleys, will cause vibration internally and increase the chances to ruin your engine, only cars that have a blue-printed engine and balanced crankshaft can run lighter pulleys but still have a harmonic balancer due to the increase of power. I have seen many engines with crank and rod problems due to lighter pulleys, from Hondas, Mercedes, BMW and Nissans... You will not feel that vibration but it will cause premature wear to the engine ... usually the fun last about 15k miles

ok, i'll oversize all the other ones?
;)

thanks for the tip.

Patrick

Staff member
You'll be very disappointed if you leave a red convertible exposed to the elements unless you maintain it like it's a second job. There's no guarantee that this 22 year old car is still waterproof either.

the metro was a commuter car. it has a number of different color reds on it from fading at different rates.
even if it has been mostly in the garage for the last 18 years.

Last edited:

iman29

the metro was a commuter car. it has a number of different color reds on it no from fading at different rates.
even if it has been mostly in the garage for the last 18 years.

I say vinyl wrap it this color red and then no worries. 🤪

Attachments

• 0AB65EA0-57FF-48ED-8216-27C60DAB548F.jpeg
    0AB65EA0-57FF-48ED-8216-27C60DAB548F.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 10

Patrick

Staff member
car sales people....

We unfortunately can't do that. It is a doc fee and the doc fee is $499. The state of NJ will not allow us to do that. It is the same price for every customer.

JerseyPete

car sales people....

We unfortunately can't do that. It is a doc fee and the doc fee is $499. The state of NJ will not allow us to do that. It is the same price for every customer.
Your reaction:
Anakin Liar GIFs | Tenor

Top Bottom