The Last NJ CX Cup Race: Horseshoe Scramble

FTW is For The Win. I ran Fangos all last year and they were fine. I've run Limus most of this year and love them. But they aren't incredibly fast rolling.

I'm down to only Fangos because I destroyed the rear Limus. Next year I'll likely have 2 sets of Limus and 1 Fango. The Griffos are ok but they're sort of more of an all-around tire than specific to any condition.

At the end of the day I'm not sure it matters much.

At the end of the day I'm not sure it matters much.

And at the end of the season, I'm with you. Fango for dry and Limuses (Limi?) for muddy days and the pit bike?

I just want a waffle, a beer and somewhere nice to hurl invective at everyone who races after the B's. I choose mud pit.

I had Mud2s on the bike yesterday and this morning out there. The course has enough variation that it isn't gonna matter, whatever tire you choose will be great somewhere out there :D

Having said that, my vote will be for Limus' by the afternoon races, it's gonna get soft out there...

-Jim.

If I were racing, I'd run Limus'. They may roll a little slower on the pavement, but given the drop in, and some stuff that gets slimy on that course, I'd opt for cornering grip.

Basically, just don't run file treads!

And to Sean - if you're going to have 1 set of tubulars, get an all-purpose tire like the Fango or Grifo. Then buy the Limus clincher for your road wheels and your covered. Double bonus points if you buy the Grifo XC clincher file tread, then your covered for all conditions.

ready for me to jack this whole discussion?

Griffos will do you better in the mud than the Fango. :rolleyes: Oh snap!

If you have one tire. Griffo. Mud. Limus. Have some money to spare or you have extra wheel sets? Fango. Wanna go fast?! XS

FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DN!

And at the end of the season, I'm with you. Fango for dry and Limuses (Limi?) for muddy days and the pit bike?

I just want a waffle, a beer and somewhere nice to hurl invective at everyone who races after the B's. I choose mud pit.

Invective - I learned a new word today!
I'm glad your in my class again - I like people screaming "SEAN" like crazy even if most of it is for you to run me over. I'll have beers with me. :D

Y'all are awesome. I'm going with the Bulldogs. As much as I want to go fast (ha, ha), the technical stuff has more potential downside than feeling slow on the straightaways. I hate potential downside almost as much as actual downside.
Thank you Fred for confusing the hell out of me. (I feel like that guy in the circle of boredom at Greystone.) And thanks everyone for the tire advice.
Sean, I won't see you in the race, 'cept mebbe your heiny, but if you've got beer I will find you/hunt you down after.

Last edited:
Griffos will do you better in the mud than the Fango.

What he said (and I'm generally a Fango fanboy).

If you can have one tubular: Grifo.
If you can have 2 tubulars: Fango + some mud tire (whether Limus or Clement PDX, Rhino, Specialized Terra, etc).

What he said (and I'm generally a Fango fanboy).

If you can have one tubular: Grifo.
If you can have 2 tubulars: Fango + some mud tire (whether Limus or Clement PDX, Rhino, Specialized Terra, etc).

Also agree with this. Also would say that when you go tubular, you end up going tubulars (plural) so you never get the all-around tire but opt for the specialty players.

I'm with Fred. I find (found) Fangos to be terrible at cornering. Grifos you can literally fold on the rim going around corners or off-camber sections, whereas fangos will give before that. Cornering in my opinion is more important in 'cross than straight-line rolling resistance. Besides, between fango and grifo that must be negligible.

Now if only FMB or Dugast were more affordable...

Have fun, too bad I can't race here this week-end.

I'm with Fred. I find (found) Fangos to be terrible at cornering. Grifos you can literally fold on the rim going around corners or off-camber sections, whereas fangos will give before that. Cornering in my opinion is more important in 'cross than straight-line rolling resistance. Besides, between fango and grifo that must be negligible.

Now if only FMB or Dugast were more affordable...

Have fun, too bad I can't race here this week-end.

I admit that my opinion here may be odd, but I actually like the predictable fold of the Fango. The Limus was extremely unpredictable for me, sometimes going well before I thought, sometimes not at all. I think given the 2, I prefer the easier folding if it's consistent.

I have not raced with the Griffo enough to say, however.

Just some bad luck Marc, Good luck tomorrow!

Course was good today, and how nice it was to see Jim V ripping it up out there! Great to have you back out racing.

A thumbs up to Norm on 3rd place. I'm sure he will have a good race recap up soon.

My race was just ok, but what really ruined my day was that the promoters bailed on $500/8 prize list that was posted when I registered. I think they pulled it off pre-reg the night before which is within USAcylcing rules, but a bit sleezy since a half a dozen ladies came from Vt and Pa for the payout. I don't race for the money, but if you can not $, don't use $ to stack the pro field. I for one will not support this race again. :(

A lot of fun racing today. The course was tacky and the legs were burning. The course itself was great, i really enjoyed the feeling like i was actually riding somewhere instead of going back and forth around tight turns. I loved heading out into the old farm fields and into the woods. Definitely a MTBiker friendly course. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Off to go coach a HS hockey game now...

Last edited:
My race was just ok, but what really ruined my day was that the promoters bailed on $500/8 prize list that was posted when I registered. I think they pulled it off pre-reg the night before which is within USAcylcing rules, but a bit sleezy since a half a dozen ladies came from Vt and Pa for the payout. I don't race for the money, but if you can not $, don't use $ to stack the pro field. I for one will not support this race again. :(

Sorry you feel that way Ellen. As I explained to both the men & women's A fields at the podium ceremony, we simply had no choice but to cut the payouts due to lack of pre-reg numbers. I think we changed it Wednesday, before any men in the A field registered (Mark & Jim had, but Mark was not able to race the As and Jim was not top 8). I don't remember what the women's fields numbers were. As of Wednesday when (I think, maybe it was Thursday) we changed the payout, we were going to lose money on the race. We really had no choice but to cut the payouts. The fact of the matter is that we were in a state of panic at the time. We did our best to compensate with the merchandise that was available to us. Next year we won't make the same mistake.

I had a good race, which I'll recap when I have some time later. But the highlight of my day was running the kid's race. We had 3 kids, with 1 parent leading, 1 helping run the kids the right way through the pit, and another to help with the barriers. I ran the whole race with the 3rd place fellow and we *may* have cut the course a little bit to bring him back into contention.

After we did the podium ceremony with the kids and gave them their medals and handed out cookies to all the kids, the parents thanked me for doing it, several of them almost literally brimming with happiness. It really made my day.

Contrast that with 1 of the parents of the kids in the A race who rolled his eyes when I explained about not having the pre-reg numbers to pay out the full $500. And coming home after spending my whole day out there and being called sleazy, an accusation that is founded on what I believe to be an incorrect assumption.

I'll chose to remember the day in the light of the kid's race. I hope everyone else had a positive experience like I did. If not, my apologies. We'll try harder next time.

Too much fun out there today. Great course but my bike handling skill SUCK. That and tripping over the barriers after you take holeshot/lead. DOH!

Too much fun out there today. Great course but my bike handling skill SUCK. That and tripping over the barriers after you take holeshot/lead. DOH!

That was pretty awesome. I so wish I had a pic of that. Sorry I still haven't correlated the screen names with real life yet. Were we talking after the race?

That was pretty awesome. I so wish I had a pic of that. Sorry I still haven't correlated the screen names with real life yet. Were we talking after the race?

You were really far out in front. My mother-in-law was filming video and used you as practice. I have the video evidence of your crash if you want it. PM me an email address if you want the file, or I can have my wife post it to youtube :p

Ok this may seem like a dumb question. What is this Horse shoe scramble I know its some kind of race? Where is gonna be at and where and can I come and chill and watch?:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom