The July 31/31 Classic p/b Halter's, JORBA, & MTBNJ

Bisquick

31 for 31 - https://www.strava.com/activities/5718851051

As much as I like biking, I am very relived I don't have to do it tomorrow.

1627784161672.png

xc62701

Day 30 and day 31

Day 30 is a mulligan. Through problems beyond my control I’m glad I earned a mulligan by doing TM July 9th as well as riding that day. I was hoping to not have to use that but it is what it is. A issed connection flight the day before and a dead camper didn’t help my 31/31 goals.

Day 31 I was able to ride in Wyoming. Yay! We got up some local trails and the views did not disappoint. The food afterwards didn’t either.

https://strava.app.link/gZyFALF7lib
1627785330374.png

July Total
Time: 53:39 hrs
Distance: 691 mi
Climbing: 39,247 ft
Beers: 73

Pagliacci

31st consecutive ride; I've done it in the past, but I really didn't believe I could do it this time.

Huge thanks to Halters, MTBNJ, JORBA, Norm and Dave, and everyone else.

Also huge thanks to Jeremy for inviting me to participate in a TM sesh. I pretty much figured the only way I was going to meet the TM requirement was if Dave let me count depilatory maintenance on a treasure trail, but thanks to @3MTA3, I didn't even have to play that card.

My last ride, like most of my rides, was a flat hour. Maybe that's a chump ride, but coming from where I was a month ago, every ride has left me feeling awesome. Sincere thanks to all who post; MTBNJ is a wonderful community and a constant source of inspiration and knowledge (covid thread notwithstanding).

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/MhvtNxo3lib

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG

Ride #1 - Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/1zfvZq4Hmib
strava5931517817444751289.jpg

Ride #2 - Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/7fg0hgdImib
strava4784713978391407823.jpg

My plans for Flow State had a bit of a wrench thrown into them by our dog. He had a pretty rough 1st night camping and kept Marisa and I up most of the night. I was on dog duty from sunrise until 10am ish so the fam could sleep, so we explored the camp a bit.
20210801_071159.jpg

20210801_071050.jpg

We got to Flow State after lunch and our friends from Tenafly Bicycle Workshop set Everett up with a Reeb Sqweeb. I was bummed to have missed @Norm and the rest of the crew but such is life.
20210731_142200.jpg

Suffice to say that he loved it. We did the demo loop and checked out the new Norcross trail.
VideoCapture_20210731-155838.jpg

20210731_160405.jpg

After the demo we grabbed some food and a session ipa at the fest.

We then moved over to the town forest lot, where I much prefer to start rides. Everett wasn't into a long ride so we set off to see some old favs of mine and the waterfall overlook. I was on the phone with Norm when we got there and shared that on a previous visit we'd met a local legend/trailbuilder there named Jim, the namesake and mastermind who built "Jim's Jam" and a lot of the tech trails there. Sure enough, we hung up and 30 seconds later Jim rolls up.
20210801_070212.jpg

We caught up and talked trails and advocacy for a bit then headed into the woods.

Top of the falls
20210801_074154.jpg

We had a short fun ride and met up with @Bleeder back in the lot before headed back over to the fest to chill with the jerz contingent. Good times.

Today we'll break camp in Springfield and set up down in Pownal for the rest of the week.

I've had a blast sharing some rides here while completing 31/31. Thanks to Halters Cycles @jdog and mtbnj/jorba for making it happen and congrats to everyone who participated.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20210731-160046.jpg
    VideoCapture_20210731-160046.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

serviceguy

I also wanted to say thanks to all involved in this challenge, not only the organizers (obviously JORBA, Halter's and MTBNJ.com and the individuals specifically involved, you know who you are but I don't necessarily do) but also everybody else who partecipated to the challenge and took the time to like everybody else's ride. I suck at that but I believe it was a subtle motivation mechanism anyway (something to do with dopamine or whatever). Wait, is that a good thing or a bad thing? :shrug:

3MTA3

Final stats for the month
Miles: 408.8
Hours: 46.1
Elevation: 35,553 feet
Cannoli donuts: 2

Thanks to Halter’s, JORBA, & MTBNJ! Earlier in July on another trip up to NH I got a couple of rides in with @jdog when he was able to give me and a couple other guys some DH tips and lead us on a couple of runs at Highland, and the I got to show him some of the trails in Wolfeboro. Unfortunately I did not get to introduce him to the cannoli donut.

I typically ride at least 2 out of every 3 days in the summer anyway, but was surprised at how hard it was to make it out everyday. Congratulations to everyone that participated and I love seeing my average rides per week at 7 which has happened before, but very rarely. And shoutout to @Pagliacci for gettin’ it done and keep it up! I’m up in NH for another week and may end up riding everyday, but I’d be fine if I missed a day, especially on the day we pack up and head home!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks everyone for participating in the challenge.

Can everyone send me a private/direct message (PM/DM) if you want us to have the certificate sent to you or if you want to donate it in some way. Once we have everything worked out I will send all the stuff out via the good old USPS.

Please be patient as we will need to work with Jason at Halters to get the certificates, as well as my sticker printer (oh, what's that?) in addition to some of the JORBA folks here.

Again, thanks to everyone for keeping this going! It was an impressive month!

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Great seeing an increase from those 31ers not caring about the gift card for their personal use, but enjoying the moment and experience only. When I used to race I never finished it so I could get that medal 🏅. The feeling is something money will never buy.

Thank you again to Halters, MTBNJ, JORBA for organizing this event. As I said to Clark and Norm in a private chat early on, this years challenge was much appreciated and needed change for many.

3MTA3

We’re still uploading day 32 rides? Ok, I’m in. My ride today would not have actually kept the streak alive. It’s 2 hour elapsed time ended up with only 47 minutes of moving time. But that’s what happens when you go for a group ride with the local brewery guys and half the time is spent at a mountain cabin on public lands tasting various microbrews.
https://strava.app.link/Y0k6aJnsnib
1627855014192.png
D39DF74C-178E-421B-9CAB-71DDCD9B886B.jpeg
90F09D21-5E24-4040-8069-4A5C0229DA53.jpeg

Last edited:

JDurk

We’re still uploading day 32 rides? Ok, I’m in. My ride today would not have actually kept the streak alive. It’s 2 hour elapsed time ended up with only 47 minutes of moving time. But that’s what happens when you go for a group ride with the local brewery guys and half the time is spent at a mountain cabin on public lands tasting various microbrews.
https://strava.app.link/Y0k6aJnsnib
View attachment 164324
I recognize that Hawaiian shirt

Last edited:
Top Bottom