The Indoor Garden Thread!

Roadie

hey is that a night blooming cactus on the lower left corner of that pic?
No, that would be awesome though. it is a Christmas cactus. Definitely interested in the night blooming cacti you mentioned earlier. Where did you find it?

Roadie

The Christmas cactus shares the pot with this thing that my wife rescued from an arrangement a while back. It started out about a 10th of the size it is now. Anyone have an idea what it is?FB128C14-2D66-48F5-8BAC-D3938971EE75.jpeg

qclabrat

No, that would be awesome though. it is a Christmas cactus. Definitely interested in the night blooming cacti you mentioned earlier. Where did you find it?
I breed them, but takes about 5 years to bloom. Anyone interested shoot me line. Needs lots of sun and high temps in the summer to do well.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
another flower on a snowy night.

This is a dendrobian orchid. Note where the flower stalk starts. high on the plant. we stake them inside, but in the wild
they would pull the plant over. This one is unique because the flower pedals are green! These flowers have been out
for awhile, getting a little droopy.

IMG_0170.JPGIMG_0172.JPGIMG_0173.JPGIMG_0171.JPG

rick81721

Lothar
South African Lillyis blooming. we have a few of these, as they like to reproduce - they bloom once per year, and
ya never know when cause of temp control. they need to be by a window, and in filtered light to be "cool"
Late spring bloom outside is more impressive.

View attachment 83372

Nice to see some color. It's at the point for me where I get excited to see a stand of green bamboo during a ride. Breaks up the brown!

Patrick

Staff member
Shamrock blooming right on time!

IMG_3090.JPG

that might be the saddle of the build photo bombing.....

qclabrat

I missed my window to start tomatoes and peppers indoors. Even bought the LED grow lights this year. Still planning to start lettuce and other early spring plants indoors. Can't believe lettuce can go down in 2 weeks...

ekuhn

This thing just sat on the kitchen table for over a year. Moved it to the upstairs hallway and it bloomed!

View attachment 102298
View attachment 102299
Looking good.

We've had several over the last 2 years. They are difficult/finicky plants. 3 months after having one in really good shape, all of the leaves just dried up and fell off over the course of 2 weeks. Was left with stalks. Tried the once a week water. Tried the ice cube deal. Tried the squirt bottle. All No Dice.

Patrick

Staff member
Looking good.

We've had several over the last 2 years. They are difficult/finicky plants. 3 months after having one in really good shape, all of the leaves just dried up and fell off over the course of 2 weeks. Was left with stalks. Tried the once a week water. Tried the ice cube deal. Tried the squirt bottle. All No Dice.

they need filtered light - direct light can screw them up.
they should not be planted in soil, they are more like air ferns than a plant - orchid mix is more like wood chips
mist with room temp water every few days, a/c and hot air heat lower humidity levels, so they dry out.
most bloom once per year - blooms can last for months
depending on the type, you might cut off the flower stem, or cut it back to one of the nodes.

if you like orchids, go to Taida's in bridgewater - they are a wholesaler, but sell to the public. good prices
Buy ones with one flower blooming, so you know what they look like.

wegmans has some more exotic ones -

we have this one outdoors protected by a hibiscus. others are hanging in the trees - not blooming.

1565611889401.png

This one is fun - stalk grows, flowers, stalk dies, repeat - needs to be relocated in the pot, as it tries to walk out.
looks like last Halloween

1565612564252.png

Top Bottom