The DIY thread - DIYourself

Thank goodness for the snow! Went today to the beach house to clear the walkway and found water spewing (not dripping) out of the boiler pressure valve. Shut off the water and valve to the expansion tank and it stopped, was there on Superbowl Sunday morning and wasn't leaking. Guess we lost about 20 gallons of water based on the water in the lower level (garage).

So is it the tank? Was planning to switch it out this spring, its over 10 years old. Anything else to swap out like the pressure valve? Unit about same age as the tank.PXL_20240214_192729246.jpgPXL_20240214_191007257.jpgPXL_20240214_191817033.jpgPXL_20240214_191833454.jpgPXL_20240214_190745499.jpg

Thank goodness for the snow! Went today to the beach house to clear the walkway and found water spewing (not dripping) out of the boiler pressure valve. Shut off the water and valve to the expansion tank and it stopped, was there on Superbowl Sunday morning and wasn't leaking. Guess we lost about 20 gallons of water based on the water in the lower level (garage).

So is it the tank? Was planning to switch it out this spring, its over 10 years old. Anything else to swap out like the pressure valve? Unit about same age as the tank.View attachment 232667View attachment 232668View attachment 232669View attachment 232670View attachment 232671
You'll have to see what pressure is getting into the system when you turn the water back on. If the pressure regulator is bad it'll allow too much pressure which will make the pressure relief valve spew water. If the expansion tank is bad the water won't have anywhere to expand when it heats up and that'll raise the pressure and the relief valve will go off, then the water will cool down eventually and the regulator will fill the system back up, then it'll heat up again and the relief valve will go off again, and it'll do that over and over again. The expansion tank should have a schrader valve on the bottom, if you push it in and water comes out, it's busted. If the relief valve is spewing water out at regular operating pressure, it's bad. Also, relief valve should ideally be piped to the ground.

You'll have to see what pressure is getting into the system when you turn the water back on. If the pressure regulator is bad it'll allow too much pressure which will make the pressure relief valve spew water. If the expansion tank is bad the water won't have anywhere to expand when it heats up and that'll raise the pressure and the relief valve will go off, then the water will cool down eventually and the regulator will fill the system back up, then it'll heat up again and the relief valve will go off again, and it'll do that over and over again. The expansion tank should have a schrader valve on the bottom, if you push it in and water comes out, it's busted. If the relief valve is spewing water out at regular operating pressure, it's bad. Also, relief valve should ideally be piped to the ground.
Do the dates on the tank mean anything? And what determines frequency of change?

Do the dates on the tank mean anything? And what determines frequency of change?

when installing the tank with the fill valve up, it can fill with air instead of water.

still, pressure is pressure - hit the schrader valve on the expansion tank. if water comes out, the bladder ruptured and it needs to be replaced.
if air comes out, let it go until nothing comes out, then fill it to the proper pressure for the highest radiator above it (it is the weight of the water column)
couple psi per foot when cold if i remember.
Oh, if water comes out of the schrader after air - again it is bad.

another thing that can happen is it blew off, then some crap settled on the seal - so open it with the water on and let a bunch of water run through and then close
you'll need to also bleed the system when you are done.

do you have a pressure/temp gauge on the hot side?? usually associated with the aquastat.

So is it the tank? Was planning to switch it out this spring, its over 10 years old. Anything else to swap out like the pressure valve? Unit about same age as the tank.View attachment 232667View attachment 232668View attachment 232669View attachment 232670View attachment 232671
Another way to test the tank is to tap it with something like a screwdriver. The upper and lower parts should sound different. Lower part should have air in it and sound hollow. Upper part filled with water would be a dull thud.

Replace the parts and sleep well at night.

when installing the tank with the fill valve up, it can fill with air instead of water.

still, pressure is pressure - hit the schrader valve on the expansion tank. if water comes out, the bladder ruptured and it needs to be replaced.
if air comes out, let it go until nothing comes out, then fill it to the proper pressure for the highest radiator above it (it is the weight of the water column)

another thing that can happen is it blew off, then some crap settled on the seal - so open it with the water on and let a bunch of water run through and then close

do you have a pressure/temp gauge on the hot side?? usually associated with the aquastat.
Like this?
PXL_20240214_191201321.jpg

Another way to test the tank is to tap it with something like a screwdriver. The upper and lower parts should sound different. Lower part should have air in it and sound hollow. Upper part filled with water would be a dull thud.
Interesting, I did tap it when there. Top seemed hollow and lower had a thud. Where did you get your replacement?

There's also a second valve off the branch to the expansion tank. Some YT vids show this valve leaking when the tank fails but it looks fine. Should I also change this one?PXL_20240214_191817033~2.jpgScreenshot_20240215-073510.png

There's also a second valve off the branch to the expansion tank. Some YT vids show this valve leaking when the tank fails but it looks fine. Should I also change this one?View attachment 232689View attachment 232690
that's your pressure regulator and backflow preventer, it's what fills the system with water. As long as it's filling the system with the right pressure I'd leave it alone. It actually looks fairly new.

Got back a few days ago and checked the tank valve. Still pressure in there and the valve didn't have water. Still ordered a new tank and valve. The water was really coming out good from the valve. Could it be the valve? Going to change both regardless.

Got back a few days ago and checked the tank valve. Still pressure in there and the valve didn't have water. Still ordered a new tank and valve. The water was really coming out good from the valve. Could it be the valve? Going to change both regardless.

Valve could have crap on the seat. Flush it, then see if it holds. Or replace it, for a little more peace of mind

Should all boilers have a filter? Can't seem to see one on my setup. Also what is this above my tank? 17084511350316605464064540748928.jpg
Replacing the tank today and the pressure valve. The label on the old valve is worn. Though I got a 30psi valve since I the tank is 30, is that correct?17084512685746337567708616883878.jpg

Should all boilers have a filter? Can't seem to see one on my setup. Also what is this above my tank? View attachment 233083
Replacing the tank today and the pressure valve. The label on the old valve is worn. Though I got a 30psi valve since I the tank is 30, is that correct?View attachment 233084

That is an air eliminator valve -

not 100% on the relief valve sizing, might say it on the boiler.

Back
Top Bottom