The DIY thread - DIYourself

Nice to claim another DIY win while I’m recovering from my injury.

Spent most of yesterday thinking how bummed I was not to be riding on a nice day when no one else was home to ask me when I would be back. Today is the same.

The knee is feeling better to the point I can get around the house without the immobilizer brace if I just move carefully I’m good. Made myself useful Got some laundry in the wash and dryer.

Came back down to the basement later and the dryer sounded odd. Opened the door and had a pile of warm wet laundry because the tub wasn’t spinning. FML.

Ok based in the fact the washer and dryer are 27 years old this has to be easy fix. Quick online search and determined it’s the drive belt. Opened it up to confirm. Found a repair kit online but it won’t ship until Wednesday. No good.

Lowes online showing only in stock 40 minutes away in Hanover. I called the local one and they have 9 in stock 10 minutes away. Sweet.

The only reason this repair took me longer than the drive back and forth was I had to vacuum the years of dust and lint. And I watched 3 minutes if a YouTube video just to know how to open up the dryer and route the belt.

Cost. $14.00. Start to finish ~45 minutes. #DIYWinning

587B1FAB-007A-4477-B3B3-AFFD20D30509.jpeg36F538A8-DE82-475D-8F49-D3EFD96946FD.jpegFF514C74-CE4A-4D53-BC52-C2ED99B05C43.jpegA67BCEC5-9927-43F8-809A-75787A3223A9.png

The grab is behind the top of the vertical triangle.
Rolls easy, closes with a little gap lower right.
Either need a little spacer in the front or to tip the glide on the left a bit forward.

View attachment 226374

It is a decent size.

View attachment 226375
Looks great! On a side note, I would slash my knees on those cagey decorations on the vertical bar every time I go up or down those stairs. Yes, I am that clumsy.

Finally getting rid of the cadaver currently rotting in our kitchen, ready to order a new dishwasher...currently the wife seems pretty much set on this model from Bosch

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-8...tainless-Steel-Tub-42-dBA-SHP78CM5N/325602595

As I know there's several happy Bosch customers in here, it just feels natural to ask if that's a good model and if the price is Ok, alternatively where one can be had at far better condition if even possible.

Finally getting rid of the cadaver currently rotting in our kitchen, ready to order a new dishwasher...currently the wife seems pretty much set on this model from Bosch

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-8...tainless-Steel-Tub-42-dBA-SHP78CM5N/325602595

As I know there's several happy Bosch customers in here, it just feels natural to ask if that's a good model and if the price is Ok, alternatively where one can be had at far better condition if even possible.
somewhere buried in this thread I wrote about replacing our 15 year old problem free Bosch dishwasher with this exact same model, i think it was like 2 years ago?

The old one was quiet but this one you can't even hear it when it runs.

All the other appliances in my kitchen have shit the bed more than once, but my old Bosch dishwasher never gave any issues until it stopped cleaning/drying the dishes well. Since the removal/installation was more complicated than I felt like dealing with we had HD also do the installation. Of course thats where it all went bad, but it had nothing to do with the guys they sent. The valves under my kitchen sink were stuck, and when they went to shut the main off in the basement the handles broke off. They had an emergency plumber on call, came to the house and fixed everything within an hour AND then he finished the dishwasher installation. I was very impressed.

So before you do anything, check your valves for to make sure they all work properly, otherwise you might need the town to come shut off your water during the installation like I did.

somewhere buried in this thread I wrote about replacing our 15 year old problem free Bosch dishwasher with this exact same model, i think it was like 2 years ago?

The old one was quiet but this one you can't even hear it when it runs.

All the other appliances in my kitchen have shit the bed more than once, but my old Bosch dishwasher never gave any issues until it stopped cleaning/drying the dishes well. Since the removal/installation was more complicated than I felt like dealing with we had HD also do the installation. Of course thats where it all went bad, but it had nothing to do with the guys they sent. The valves under my kitchen sink were stuck, and when they went to shut the main off in the basement the handles broke off. They had an emergency plumber on call, came to the house and fixed everything within an hour AND then he finished the dishwasher installation. I was very impressed.

So before you do anything, check your valves for to make sure they all work properly, otherwise you might need the town to come shut off your water during the installation like I did.
I was hoping you would chime in but also any other Bosch, hopefully happy, customers...the hookup for our current dishwasher are fairly new (6 years) and I can't believe our current GE crapped the bed this soon, it actually served as a dish rack for at least the last two years. Disconnecting it tonight as the town is going to pick it up on Wednesday, same day we'll place the order for the new, better unit.

Are the hook up standard, cold+hot water?

Are the hook up standard, cold+hot water?

check the instructions - some want cold water and heat it when needed. They only use a couple gallons so the hot never makes it to the DW.
Also check if the new one comes with a standard plug, or is direct wired. Sometimes the direct-wire kit is an option!
as discussed in another spot, dw outlets need GFCI/AFCI protection. GL

they make splitters for the water connection if needed.

and what are you doing that it would be usefull for? not for my job, we need wayyyyyy more precision. takes longer than a tape measure for 99.9% of use cases. so what another paperweight to collect dust on your desk?

and what are you doing that it would be usefull for? not for my job, we need wayyyyyy more precision. takes longer than a tape measure for 99.9% of use cases. so what another paperweight to collect dust on your desk?

Well duh I hope you aren't using a tape measure. Seems useful for you diy dorks

Check this out

But Why GIF - But Why - Discover & Share GIFs

Back
Top Bottom