The DIY thread - DIYourself

serviceguy

Not a major project but leading to something bigger...we had the septic tank pumped and my wife volunteered me to dig out the manhole and save a whopping $50...
61CD8E05-A666-492E-8A81-64C50FB976D3.jpeg
In order to avoid such ordeal from repeating I’m planning to install a concrete raiser and a cast iron manhole, but my plans have already flatlined due to my inability to locate these items through the usual channels. Any suggestions?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Not a major project but leading to something bigger...we had the septic tank pumped and my wife volunteered me to dig out the manhole and save a whopping $50...
View attachment 130745
In order to avoid such ordeal from repeating I’m planning to install a concrete raiser and a cast iron manhole, but my plans have already flatlined due to my inability to locate these items through the usual channels. Any suggestions?

There are two of you? move before the next clean-out. ;)

you would need a crane to move a concrete riser that big. if you want to get crazy, there are lids for concrete drain pipe
cut one to size, mortar(?) it in place, put lid on - https://www.nfco.com/products/category/drainage-grates/pipe-grates-lids/
i've seen this done with ground water/grate, not a lid.

poly looks easier.

serviceguy

There are two of you? move before the next clean-out. ;)

you would need a crane to move a concrete riser that big. if you want to get crazy, there are lids for concrete drain pipe
cut one to size, mortar(?) it in place, put lid on - https://www.nfco.com/products/category/drainage-grates/pipe-grates-lids/
i've seen this done with ground water/grate, not a lid.

poly looks easier.

???? It’s a 24” standard raiser, 9” worst case scenario I woul roll it in place. The cast iron manhole though maybe a tad heavier...again, I guess it can be rolled in place from the trailer...rollin’ rollin’ rollin’...but where do I buy one (actually two). Funny you say that, when the pump died on us the guy that replaced commented “wow, it’s the original one from ‘89, you did very good!”, when I replied “we bought the house six months ago” his comment was “oh, then you did very bad!”...Given my exploits in real estate I should probably move to a RV...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
???? It’s a 24” standard raiser, 9” worst case scenario I woul roll it in place. The cast iron manhole though maybe a tad heavier...again, I guess it can be rolled in place from the trailer...rollin’ rollin’ rollin’...but where do I buy one (actually two). Funny you say that, when the pump died on us the guy that replaced commented “wow, it’s the original one from ‘89, you did very good!”, when I replied “we bought the house six months ago” his comment was “oh, then you did very bad!”...Given my exploits in real estate I should probably move to a RV...

what is the issue with plastic?

one piece crank

...I’m planning to install a concrete raiser and a cast iron manhole, but my plans have already flatlined due to my inability to locate these items through the usual channels. Any suggestions?

Ask your septic pump-out guy. Our's installed the riser for cost of materials, I just dug out the access.

JerseyPete

@serviceguy We just paid $2200 for both solids and liquids tanks to be pumped and the pump (24 years old) to be replaced. Like yourself I dug out the circle of grass and popped open the covers. Like yourself, I don't want to do that again. I am thinking of pouring quikcrete into a 24-26 inch x 2-3 inch circle and putting something (fire pit, potted plant) on top of that.

serviceguy

@serviceguy We just paid $2200 for both solids and liquids tanks to be pumped and the pump (24 years old) to be replaced. Like yourself I dug out the circle of grass and popped open the covers. Like yourself, I don't want to do that again. I am thinking of pouring quikcrete into a 24-26 inch x 2-3 inch circle and putting something (fire pit, potted plant) on top of that.
I may go that route as well, maybe run some metal grid inside to ensure it doesn't crack open. It depends on how much the raiser costs. Also, I need about 9" height and they only sell 6", 12" 18" and 24" raisers, so I would have to cut one, pouring one maybe easier. I believe the cast iron manhole is required by code if at grade level, not sure about integrating it with a fire pit, potted plants and even fake boulders appear to be common choices in manhole disguise. I have two manholes to replace so maybe planters would be an sound choice.

rlb

Any suggestions on alternative materials for a bathroom ceiling? I want to maintain access to some plumbing above.

Armstrong makes humid safe tiles that are 24x24in, but the bathroom is small (~7ft x 4.5 ft) so I think a 12x12 tile would be better. They also make a clip in 12x12 tile but it doesn't appear to be bathroom rated.

I suppose I could just drywall and add an ABS access panel.

Any other options I'm missing?

JerseyPete

I may go that route as well, maybe run some metal grid inside to ensure it doesn't crack open. It depends on how much the raiser costs. Also, I need about 9" height and they only sell 6", 12" 18" and 24" raisers, so I would have to cut one, pouring one maybe easier. I believe the cast iron manhole is required by code if at grade level, not sure about integrating it with a fire pit, potted plants and even fake boulders appear to be common choices in manhole disguise. I have two manholes to replace so maybe planters would be an sound choice.
I want to keep the iron manhole covers on, and put a 24 inch wide and 3 inch tall round concrete thing on top to raise it a little, then the small fire pit on that. The concrete thing will still be a couple inches lower than the top of the grass.
BTW, this makes opening the cover way easier than other methods.

serviceguy

I want to keep the iron manhole covers on, and put a 24 inch wide and 3 inch tall round concrete thing on top to raise it a little, then the small fire pit on that. The concrete thing will still be a couple inches lower than the top of the grass.
BTW, this makes opening the cover way easier than other methods.
That's what the guy that pumped our septic tank used to lift the manhole.

Honestly, I don't like the idea of a gathering area being right on top of the septic tank,I would stick to planters or fake boulders.

Reactions: rlb

rlb

In the spring of 2005 I was a young rookie, not long out of school. At my new job at an engineering company (where I still work today), I was starting on my first project in the field. The task? Opening ~700 hundred manhole covers to measure the depth and size of the pipes, and make sure everything was correctly mapped. Thankfully I quickly became the brains of the operation and someone else was the muscle, pulling open most of the lids. I still popped my fair share of manholes for that project, that's one way to get a workout! The hook lined above was the primary tool. If it was stuck, you beat it with a sledge hammer for a bit and hope it helped.

As things would have it, we did the same exact job for the same exact town 12 years later. I didn't have to open a single manhole cover (I guess that means I made some career progress?) but we did invest in a few of these for the guys (I guess we made progress all around)

serviceguy

In the spring of 2005 I was a young rookie, not long out of school. At my new job at an engineering company (where I still work today), I was starting on my first project in the field. The task? Opening ~700 hundred manhole covers to measure the depth and size of the pipes, and make sure everything was correctly mapped. Thankfully I quickly became the brains of the operation and someone else was the muscle, pulling open most of the lids. I still popped my fair share of manholes for that project, that's one way to get a workout! The hook lined above was the primary tool. If it was stuck, you beat it with a sledge hammer for a bit and hope it helped.

As things would have it, we did the same exact job for the same exact town 12 years later. I didn't have to open a single manhole cover (I guess that means I made some career progress?) but we did invest in a few of these for the guys (I guess we made progress all around)
Normally I would have already ordered one...I must be getting better...

Reactions: rlb

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
New fan day!
Not super happy with the old Nutone exhaust fan in a small bathroom.
There’s no airflow, and it always seems danky in there no matter how long you run the fan.
F60FDAFE-BB35-4720-8F9F-8FBCBE7465B6.jpeg

No ceiling access, and it’s the only light, so that narrowed options.

Went with a Panasonic Whisper something or other with retrofit option.

Depending on the calculation, the room (30.25sqft) it calls for 30-50 CFM. I got the 80-110 model, with my eye on running it as 110.
Unless company is over, bathroom door is open, so draw is not an issue.

Fan comes with a 4” to 3” reducer, but to my joy, the vent was 4”.

Existing hole was almost big enough, just had to square the circle.
B80F5BB5-274E-4FD6-943D-2E37AA75EEBC.jpeg

4ACBE5C8-7B06-4902-997D-2AF4D52C1A42.jpeg

11CEFA1D-5E52-408F-86DA-E5E0B522312F.jpeg

Great success!
9ADA464A-F1C0-40D2-8E8F-C10505C10BA4.jpeg

2127FB37-F9B0-453A-A5E4-73CC4E7C98B8.jpeg
I was worried about the integrated LED, but it’s far better than the incandescent it replaced, and a dimmer will make it awesomer.

Even passed the tissue test
A67255DD-4108-48A9-B454-27E0EFE7A5A2.jpeg

Only goof up was swapping the hots for the fan and the light.
(Marking them only helps if you remember which you marked!)

I’ll square that when I swap out the switches to some snazzy Lutron timer/dimmer switches.

Will also replace the old vent cover, which has seen better days.

Shout out to this guy:
It was an add-on to the multitool kit, it gets the most use of all the tools.
Every job and it’s fantastic.
D9DEB21E-A85E-4AB3-A525-F66CA1B3AFE5.jpeg

rlb

I’ll square that when I swap out the switches to some snazzy Lutron timer/dimmer switches.

Not sure if they have a model with dimmer, but I have this one in both bathrooms and I'm happy with it (timer switch with humidity sensor)

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not sure if they have a model with dimmer, but I have this one in both bathrooms and I'm happy with it (timer switch with humidity sensor)

Right on, that’s cool.
I considered a fan with humidity trigger, but like this better.
Separating functions out-
If it fails, easy swap and only out $25,
Not fire and a new fan.

Top Bottom