the CX experiment

I don't quite have a full 2 cents to add, but what the hell. I don't think there is anything wrong with trying CX on your mountain bike. If you dump $300+ into this frankenbike conversion you will be more than 50% of the way to a used/budget CX bike already. What is your goal? If it is to practice CX, you could certainly work on the basic skills with your Trek 970, without adding the drop bars. Drop bars on an MTB worked for John Tomac, but there is a reason we don't see too many people sporting them these days. You could add skinnier tires, 38 mm or narrower to keep the UCI happy ;) You would lose traction but be faster over smoother sections. You may decide that all that dismounting and running is not for you! Better to figure that out on your 970, and still have the $300 in your pocket. If you like it, you will like it even more on a dedicated CX bike and you'll have $300 to put towards your new CX ride.

Last edited:
my goal? really just something to mix it up a bit this winter. i'm about two miles from the columbia trail which shoots out to califon. it's about a 36 mile round trip on mostly gravel. i figured i could do an out and back every once in awhile on it this winter. that's really the only "goal". i don't have time to race CX. or the body type. i'm about two Jim Vreeland/Bikin'Ben/ChrisG/graveyardman/rtadaf. only about 1.15 norms though. :D

my goal? really just something to mix it up a bit this winter. i'm about two miles from the columbia trail which shoots out to califon. it's about a 36 mile round trip on mostly gravel. i figured i could do an out and back every once in awhile on it this winter. that's really the only "goal". i don't have time to race CX. or the body type. i'm about two Jim Vreeland/Bikin'Ben/ChrisG/graveyardman/rtadaf. only about 1.15 norms though. :D

I don't know the trail you mean, but I ride in Branchburg / Califon a couple of times a month. I take my road bike and ride mostly on B roads and gravel roads. The 25c tires on my road bike are more than up for it. My cx bike might be slightly better suited to the gravel portions but it seems like the best compromise. All I'm saying is; a cross bike is a pretty "function-specific" machine, so unless you really want to practice cx skills it's overkill. Sounds like a road bike with a bit of clearance would do the same thing for you. What size frame do you ride? I rescued a lovely lugged French frame from a local dumpster last week. Needs wheels, chain and a tune up. It's free to a loving home.

I think we should have an occasional Junk Swap Meet. Like at the picnic. Everyone bring your junk and trade it for other junk you may need.

Or maybe everyone brings some junk and we make a Frankenbike. Then have a Frankenbike Toss for prizes.

Oh and then we could use the Frankenbike for the SS Hill Climb!

How cool would that be?

I think we should have an occasional Junk Swap Meet. Like at the picnic. Everyone bring your junk and trade it for other junk you may need.

Or maybe everyone brings some junk and we make a Frankenbike. Then have a Frankenbike Toss for prizes.

How cool would that be?

I'd need a POD...

I don't know the trail you mean, but I ride in Branchburg / Califon a couple of times a month. I take my road bike and ride mostly on B roads and gravel roads. The 25c tires on my road bike are more than up for it. My cx bike might be slightly better suited to the gravel portions but it seems like the best compromise. All I'm saying is; a cross bike is a pretty "function-specific" machine, so unless you really want to practice cx skills it's overkill. Sounds like a road bike with a bit of clearance would do the same thing for you. What size frame do you ride? I rescued a lovely lugged French frame from a local dumpster last week. Needs wheels, chain and a tune up. It's free to a loving home.

the columbia trail is a rail trail. it goes from flanders to califon. it's not a road, even a "b" road for that matter, so i wouldn't take the road bike on it. i had an entire bike that i rescued as well but i already put it up for free and ben claimed it, but thanks! i'm reasonalby sure the clearances weren't there and i'm trying to avoid the "all you need is wheels and everything else" scenario...hence my franken-biking the 970.

How cool would that be?

all good ideas norm. i like the frankenbike hill climb idea...that's awesome!

Last edited:
A few weeks ago Tommy and I did a Cyclocross race in Mass. The guy who won the pro class hammered everyone on a 29er hardtail with MTB tires too, he was blazin fast. My Stevens cross bike has mountain riser bars with MTB shifters and brakes and even a water bottle and cage. For me it just feels better. Bar ends are not permitted in Cyclocorss.

RC ... :)

all good ideas norm. i like the frankenbike hill climb idea...that's awesome!

Word! Let's make it happen!

You may have answered this already but why not just that road bike with CX tires? If you're not racing in mud who cares about mud clearance?

well, truth be told i didn't think that the CX tires would fit. i just stuck the rims and think they would. but, i told ben he could have the bike and...

i meant what i said
and i said what i meant
bonefishjake is good to his word, 100%.

well, truth be told i didn't think that the CX tires would fit. i just stuck the rims and think they would. but, i told ben he could have the bike and...

i meant what i said
and i said what i meant

my saucy French frame is still up for grabs. Measured with paper crime scene tape (it's at work); seems to be a 57/57. Cool ass Wienman brakes. Plenty of clearance. Yours if you want it. I have an old campy seat post that should fit. It has a crankset, short stem...

my saucy French frame is still up for grabs. Measured with paper crime scene tape (it's at work); seems to be a 57/57. Cool ass Wienman brakes. Plenty of clearance. Yours if you want it. I have an old campy seat post that should fit. It has a crankset, short stem...

shotie!

i meant what i said
and i said what i meant

Hold on Hold on...Put tires on that beast and see if you can make it work. It you have a use for it, I don't want it. Seriously.

29er wheel on 26" fork

Had these pics for a while when originally posted.

Earlier in the year I thought it would be dope to make a 69er SS with some parts I have laying around. It's a surly 1x1 fork. It clears but probably want to get tires that are not as knobby and do some slight filing on the fork crown area. It was a tentative 69er project that i might still do but I dunno :hmmm:. I'm not a bike builder I just ride them.

Attachments

• fork 004.jpg
    fork 004.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 226
  • fork 005.jpg
    fork 005.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 229
  • fork 006.jpg
    fork 006.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 218
Back
Top Bottom