The Covid effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like this belongs here.
Chat amongst yourselves
View attachment 233914

the problem i have with facts like these (and like the median housing prices and salaries, etc) is that this isn't telling the whole story. one year change after a pandemic doesn't mean much... ok... so the rent when up in 2023 in NY... but how does that compare to pre-covid prices? or even a decade-long trend? and in large cities like NY, it needs to be broken down into boroughs... are we talking all 5 boroughs or does NY really just mean Manhattan?

lol, can you imagine living in Syracuse, Columbus or Cleveland and your rent going up 20% in a year? Better yet, can you imagine if @Dave Taylor lived there and that happened?

the problem i have with facts like these (and like the median housing prices and salaries, etc) is that this isn't telling the whole story. one year change after a pandemic doesn't mean much... ok... so the rent when up in 2023 in NY... but how does that compare to pre-covid prices? or even a decade-long trend? and in large cities like NY, it needs to be broken down into boroughs... are we talking all 5 boroughs or does NY really just mean Manhattan?
We just joke about facts in this thread

Maybe this thread went in the wrong direction. Not looking to hate on where people choose to live. It obviously came out that way. My biggest regret was not moving away sooner. I think the point of my post in general was that NJ is way overpopulated. That's the simple of it. Johnny Utah moved further away but if that were the case with my line of work I'd be adding another hour to my commute. I really enjoy where we live in Md. I also thoroughly enjoyed coming home from work, microwaving dinner, driving 3 miles and having dinner on the beach with the family. This has changed. The amount of people on the beaches has increased a lot. I love riding Ringwood, Waywayanda, Allaire etc. I have the same or better 3 miles from my house now. I also won't get run down by cars riding to the park. Did I meet great friends and riding buddies in NJ? Absolutely and I still ride with them. I also have an equal bunch where I am now. I think @mfennel has a great group that is safe and hammers because none of them race. If you migrate to fast group rides in Florida, Az or even NJ for that matter the really fast ones include past and present racers. I have friends currently trying to relocate out of NJ. Some may be in denial as it's not easy and they feel trapped. That's understandable. You have to suck it up and leave some good things behind to pursue other good things. Also, I'm. sure some are genuinely happy in NJ. Especially those that can work from home and do great group rides 5 min from home. I like you all and this is just my story and my life. I may speak my mind but I won't tell you Iike something and am content when I am not.

Well, it’s temporary. I’ve already admitted that this is not easy for me and maybe not even the right thing. I’m not trying to compare what someone does by moving away to myself. What I’m saying is what Johnny Utah did is the same thing that I did. I assume that fortunately for him he’s in a different work sector or he can make similar pay anywhere he goes in my industry pay is not even across-the-board from demographic to demographic. @Riggedfmx chiming in here is just being hypocritical. Trying to play devils advocate about everything I do when he is the biggest picture about living in New Jersey, but will deny it here.

But you drive from MD to NJ for work now

@Dave Taylor
And I still drive to Paramus at least one day a week, NYC at least once every two weeks. Both two hours each way leaving my house at non-peak hours (living at appx milemarker 52 on the Parkway). At one point I drove to the Financial District in Philly daily - at a loss - all to pay my dues and try to get a seat in the industry I work in - easily 70 hour work weeks plus commute.

I grew up in Sea Girt - my neighbors were a dance instructor, plumber and a hot dog stand owner. None of those people live there anymore as the price of housing has grown at impressive rates. At least a third of the single story houses I knew as a child were torn down to build three story homes that maximize the lots they were on. A 1200 sq. Ft. Ranch is now over $1MM - in fact, I do not think you can buy a home in Sea Girt for less than a million - all this PRIOR to COVID. Most of us remember the simpler times when our families did live there. - but are thankful for the evolution and the opportunities the growing real estate market afforded us. It is part of the new Montauk.

Life does not stand still - it is fluid. You are enjoying higher salaries afforded by a growing/thriving metropolitan market. Beyond salaries there are wonderful amenities we can offer our families that come from living in such an area. If you did not believe this and are only worried about money then I invite you to look into government contracting jobs in offshore/remote locations where welders are in demand - I am not sure you would want to move your family there if you are used to the east coast job market. Welding jobs in US territories such a Guam and offshore posts such as Wake Island offer serious money and the ability to disconnect from people - that comes at a cost in the form of not being near the Metropolitan market.

We reside in a suburb of arguably the largest/most important city in the US/arguably the world. It will not stand still - when it does we should all be worried. For someone that is so vocal on investing/the economy I am at a loss for what I can only see as your inability to grasp this. This is often touched upon on the call/annual reports of companies that operate in our market. If you are a shareholder/investor these reports are available to you.

My job puts me directly in line with the people who develop NJ daily. If you think it is bad now - wait until you see it 20-30 years from now. History tends to repeat itself - for fun take the family to a museum in Frederick and see what it looked like 50-100 years ago. Have you ever done this for Monmouth county? Just imagine what it will look like 50 years from now - I think a safe bet (if you want humanity to thrive) will be much busier.

NJ is an incredible State - I do not always agree with its politics, and that will not change even if the person I vote for is in office. But we are a State of profound diversity and people who are driven to prosper. I am in awe daily that I am part of the history and have the ability to learn from the people thatmake up its population - my neighbors and the visitors of this website.

Maybe it is so simple to see the glass is half full rather than empty?

042601F4-0185-43F8-B37C-335EC064CDAC.jpeg

Well, it’s temporary. I’ve already admitted that this is not easy for me and maybe not even the right thing. I’m not trying to compare what someone does by moving away to myself. What I’m saying is what Johnny Utah did is the same thing that I did. I assume that fortunately for him he’s in a different work sector or he can make similar pay anywhere he goes in my industry pay is not even across-the-board from demographic to demographic. @Riggedfmx chiming in here is just being hypocritical. Trying to play devils advocate about everything I do when he is the biggest picture about living in New Jersey, but will deny it here.
How am I being hypocritical if I’m asking for a friend? Btw the grass in NJ is the same color as all the states… it just depends on how much you water it

That’s a big water bi
How am I being hypocritical if I’m asking for a friend? Btw the grass in NJ is the same color as all the states… it just depends on how much you water it
ll I don’t want to pay in NJ. Hypocritical is the guy that bitches and complains during his entire commute about all the assholes in New Jersey. And then saying the grass is just as green here if it was, you wouldn’t be looking to move to Roanoke or somewhere else in Virginia.

I do agree that the cup is half full.
@Dave Taylor
And I still drive to Paramus at least one day a week, NYC at least once every two weeks. Both two hours each way leaving my house at non-peak hours (living at appx milemarker 52 on the Parkway). At one point I drove to the Financial District in Philly daily - at a loss - all to pay my dues and try to get a seat in the industry I work in - easily 70 hour work weeks plus commute.

I grew up in Sea Girt - my neighbors were a dance instructor, plumber and a hot dog stand owner. None of those people live there anymore as the price of housing has grown at impressive rates. At least a third of the single story houses I knew as a child were torn down to build three story homes that maximize the lots they were on. A 1200 sq. Ft. Ranch is now over $1MM - in fact, I do not think you can buy a home in Sea Girt for less than a million - all this PRIOR to COVID. Most of us remember the simpler times when our families did live there. - but are thankful for the evolution and the opportunities the growing real estate market afforded us. It is part of the new Montauk.

Life does not stand still - it is fluid. You are enjoying higher salaries afforded by a growing/thriving metropolitan market. Beyond salaries there are wonderful amenities we can offer our families that come from living in such an area. If you did not believe this and are only worried about money then I invite you to look into government contracting jobs in offshore/remote locations where welders are in demand - I am not sure you would want to move your family there if you are used to the east coast job market. Welding jobs in US territories such a Guam and offshore posts such as Wake Island offer serious money and the ability to disconnect from people - that comes at a cost in the form of not being near the Metropolitan market.

We reside in a suburb of arguably the largest/most important city in the US/arguably the world. It will not stand still - when it does we should all be worried. For someone that is so vocal on investing/the economy I am at a loss for what I can only see as your inability to grasp this. This is often touched upon on the call/annual reports of companies that operate in our market. If you are a shareholder/investor these reports are available to you.

My job puts me directly in line with the people who develop NJ daily. If you think it is bad now - wait until you see it 20-30 years from now. History tends to repeat itself - for fun take the family to a museum in Frederick and see what it looked like 50-100 years ago. Have you ever done this for Monmouth county? Just imagine what it will look like 50 years from now - I think a safe bet (if you want humanity to thrive) will be much busier.

NJ is an incredible State - I do not always agree with its politics, and that will not change even if the person I vote for is in office. But we are a State of profound diversity and people who are driven to prosper. I am in awe daily that I am part of the history and have the ability to learn from the people thatmake up its population - my neighbors and the visitors of this website.

Maybe it is so simple to see the glass is half full rather than empty?

View attachment 233998
I do agree that the cup is half full. I’m trying to fill it up by working in NJ. Now take a piece of Humble Pie and realize that this would not be the greatest metropolitan area/city in the world. If we did not print $6 trillion at the beginning of Covid right after the repo market had to be rescued.

I do agree that the cup is half full.

I do agree that the cup is half full. I’m trying to fill it up by working in NJ. Now take a piece of Humble Pie and realize that this would not be the greatest metropolitan area/city in the world. If we did not print $6 trillion at the beginning of Covid right after the repo market had to be rescued.

I do not agree with that. My apologies @Dave Taylor but finance/economics is not what I would personally assign as your strong point. From what I can see you are passing on information you are reading in polarized articles/soundbites. I somewhat touched on this in a previous post. Whatever makes you happy - in this case it seems more like paranoia but 🤷‍♂️

We can agree to disagree. Also as previously discussed I noted I was contemplating holding off on replying to DT threads. I am there now. Now we are jumping into printing money - what will we jump to next?

Incert Digital hug here - life is short, wishing you the best.

I love you buddy, this is not personal. Being a regional banker also does not make you a professional in finance. This may sound silly. Just remember. There was a French national banker that lost $7 billion in a week. he was a financial professional as well. I will agree to buy the fucking dip as long as it works. I made a mistake at the beginning of Covid. Not thinking they would print so much money. My bad, and I own up to it. Do you happen to see what the markets did, when Covid was announced before they printed all this stimulus money?

I love you buddy, this is not personal. Being a regional banker also does not make you a professional in finance. This may sound silly. Just remember. There was a French national banker that lost $7 billion in a week. he was a financial professional as well. I will agree to buy the fucking dip as long as it works. I made a mistake at the beginning of Covid. Not thinking they would print so much money. My bad, and I own up to it. Do you happen to see what the markets did, when Covid was announced before they printed all this stimulus money?

^^^^^^^^^
This makes me question my entire career.

BLIT ZEDO IMG_20200214_112125-01.jpg

That’s a big water bi

ll I don’t want to pay in NJ. Hypocritical is the guy that bitches and complains during his entire commute about all the assholes in New Jersey. And then saying the grass is just as green here if it was, you wouldn’t be looking to move to Roanoke or somewhere else in Virginia.
I think you’re missing the point. There’s always going to be better option. The goal post will keep moving if you keep allowing to. Instead of griping about how much the place you live in doesn’t serve a purpose for you and coming on to a message board to down play your own mistakes by proselytizing I’m other and their own choice through your “self righteousness”. Just let it be man. Yeah there’s days I’m not particularly satisfied with life and how things are, but that normal. Moving to a new place the same thing will happen… it’s life and it’s okay. I accept living here has its benefits and disadvantages but so does Roanoke. What I’m not going to do is bad mouth NJ for all it’s worth, tell everyone else that where they choose to live is horrible and why they “should” leave. When the time is right and I am ready to move I will do it deliberately in a way to serve it purpose for me and my family. Moving to another state to commute 13hrs a week is not options I’m willing to entertain because time doing what I love and spending with my family is more important. Thats all 😌

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom