terrain at sourlands

jsdranger

I have yet to ride at sourlands, have heard good things about it, but am unsure of the terrain there. As i am a beginner i am not looking for super technical or super rocky. looking to get my feet wet with different terrain but dont want to get in over my head

any information regarding the terrain at sourlands is greatly appreciated

Thanks

the sourlands is not what your looking for then. thats pretty much why that place is so much fun! :D although its been a while since I have been there.:(

Id say check out Chimney Rock, but thats still a bit tecnical.

it's super technical and super rocky

Imagine a ginormous pile of boulders with some dirt thrown on it and then a huge helping of skull sized rocks and jagged shards dumped on said pile. This is what Sourlands is like. No kidding.

I went for today for the second time and all the rocks were still there.

Have you been to 6 Mile yet? It's a great ride, almost no rocks, fast, fun and friendly.

Yeah this is not what your looking for. Check out 6 mile it's probably more of what your looking for and if you don't know where your going find a group to ride with there's tons of rides always going on especially if the weather stays like this.

to beat a dead horse...

here's an example of what the place has to offer... the trail runs right through the center of the pic.

sourlands1.jpg

if you're an advancing beginner don't be afraid of the place, just expect to hike-a-bike. if you're totally green, i wouldn't recommend it.

if you wanna get your feet wet at a rocky place id say try chimney rock. its IS technical but its not undoable for a beginner. you might be off your bike more than on at parts but at least youll get a feel for it. i hated the place as a beginner but after getting more rides in and expierience i had a great time the next time i went.

dont be affriad to try sourlands , if you can ride a bike without going over the bars because of grabbing the wrong brake then you cn ride it, it may be what you are looking for in terms of a challenge, or you could get scared and not like it because of tough sections. If you go, go with a friend that rides around the same level that you do and you both will have a good time

Where is this sour lands you speak of?

East Mountain Road, Hillsborough, NJ. Rt 206 to Amwell Rd (Rt 514) heading west, away from civilization, left on East Mountain. Beautiful park even just to hike and explore Roaring Rocks and Devils Half Acre Boulders. Lot of dog walkers and hikers, but anyone I ever came across were extremely courteous and shared the beauty of Sourlands.

I have yet to ride at sourlands, have heard good things about it, but am unsure of the terrain there. As i am a beginner i am not looking for super technical or super rocky. looking to get my feet wet with different terrain but dont want to get in over my head

any information regarding the terrain at sourlands is greatly appreciated

Thanks

In ANY park you may hit areas that feel/look too hard for you, dont be afraid/ashamed of getting off and walking those sections. Eventually you will be riding them.

Lewis Morris may be a good place for you to visit. Lots of ups and downs but nothing technical. Some loose rock here and there but nothing scary. As was mentioned 6M is good.

You may enjoy Allaire also. It is easy, but enough there to keep it interesting. Have fun!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions