Stravassholes at it again....

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'm holding back here, since YOU can extrapolate this to what we are talking about in other threads.

wonder if they banned hikers for using rogue trails?

skyrokz

It's bullshit... along with mounds of horseshit that take me half hour to clean out of my tire treads so my apartment doesn't stink like a stable. haters gonna hate!

qclabrat

"After no public comment was made in opposition to the proposed ban..."

Well thankfully in New Jersey we have JORBA here to represent us all and make sure this nonsense doesn't happen.

well said Norm, was thinking the same
also in jersey we know better than to fuck with the horse people with connections

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
the YOU was plural, not you @skyrokz - cause i know the trails are sacred to you......my bad for making it seem specific.

the point of the matter is the data is available to identify those who ride closed trails, and the frequency of which they are ridden.

Last edited:

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
This story really made me sick to read. Folks we really need to up our advocacy game or things like this will hit closer to home.

How about this letter sent to a trail crew much closer to our state(apologies for image quality). Sound familiar btw?:
FB_IMG_1462383301923.jpg

skyrokz

the YOU was plural, not you @skyrokz - cause i know the trails are sacred to you......my bad for making it seem specific.

the point of the matter is the data is available to identify those who ride closed trails, and the frequency of which they are ridden.
Oh no problem, I took no offense because I totally agree, it's just a shame that people will use any measure possible to justify closing trails to other sportsmen, hunters have accidents all the time, hikers leave trash behind, equidestrians think they own the trails while mountain bikers do tons of TM and still get bashed for everything and anything that goes wrong on trails...

Johnny Utah

Not calling anyone in specific out, but I love how there is a much more focused distain for those who are "stravaassholes" rather than those that continually ride in wet or less than ideal conditions. Rather than those that build rogue trails in state, federal or private land. Etc.

Strava tracks those rides too.

I know I bitched and moaned for years about issues like this, I am tired of doing so. Unfortunately I am sure there are others that were/are in the same boat.

Vicious cycle.

A united community is a much stronger tool than a divided one.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
– it would seem the only solution is to get out in front of the issue, own those speeds, and be the group that starts the conversation about shared use. Better that than to be on your heels,

One of the reasons I like when we bike to TM locations. What's better than seeing a bunch of mountain bikes on the side of the trails next to sweaty tired people working on them.... a close 2nd is handing out sweaty dirt covered JORBA business cards that say "you dig?" to intrigued trail users.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
There are large populations of all kinds of users in my local park (Wiss) and it seems that as riders we have to "handle" them all a little differently. Some of it is just common sense. Whenever I see people on horses - even down on Forbidden Drive where there is always room to pass - I always stop before I reach them, yell out that I'm there and ask if they want me to pass by or wait. Sometimes they want me to wait and sometimes the horses are so used to bikes they just say roll on through. But all of them seem to appreciate the gesture. With runners, I usually try to give them a warning and then try to see if I can get by without them having to move at all because I know they're doing their workout too - and who wants to stop in the middle of an effort? Most hikers are really cool about it as long as I give them the option to choose how it plays out. Like I said, it's common sense.

Just knowing how different groups tend to react in general seems to have a really positive impact overall, and now that the old PMBA was more or less absorbed into a trail maintenance arm of the Friends of the Wissahickon, we are bucking the trend of a lot of areas and actually gaining new mileage on a pretty regular basis. In the last couple of years, we've seen the Cresheim Trail system open and grow, we've seen new re-routes of old trails that added mileage, and almost all of the interactions I see between riders and other users at least start out friendly. And on top of that, the guys who put on the weekly Thursday night races in Belmont have even made it official and gotten permission to use the park there for an event, which required no small amount of red tape. Of course there are still a few folks who get very up in arms about cyclists being there at all, and there are a few riders who poach trails they shouldn't be riding and a few more who are riding like dickheads, and one continuing problem that needs to be addressed somehow is the ongoing issue with dogs off leashes (note: I'm not advocating for all dogs to be on a leash - I love seeing a happy dog running out on a trail - personally I'd prefer to see owners self-policing and recognizing that if their dogs are too excited and out of control, it's the dog that is at the most risk for injury so they should keep them on a leash until they're trained enough to be trusted off one.) So it isn't all sunshine and happiness, but I think what the riders in this area have done a really great job of positioning all of us as a legit user group with a fair claim to the parks in the city. Personally, it's very rare for me anymore to have any kind of negative interaction, and if I do, I have to admit that often times it was my own fault for letting my focus slip and not appreciating how scary a clanging bike coming down a fast descent can be for another trail user. I apologized to one lady the other day and I think the fact that I actually stopped and said sorry surprised her even more than when I came around the corner in the first place!

stilluf

I don't think we should so quickly blame stravassholes for this. 20 MPH going downhill doesn't seem so extreme (I'm a slow downhiller so wouldn't know!). Importantly, the article does not cite any actual incident of a bike hitting another trail user. Yet it was enough to get bikes banned. Seems to me it was the culmination of a much larger/longer tensions between Mtb and other trail users, especially equestrians. Which to me reinforces the critical need (as espoused by many on these boards) for trail user respect and communication.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yet it was enough to get bikes banned. Seems to me it was the culmination of a much larger/longer tensions between Mtb and other trail users, especially equestrians. Which to me reinforces the critical need (as espoused by many on these boards) for trail user respect and communication.

I completely agree. I wasn't going to go here because I think there is a sentiment that we're just innocent victims but the reality is that something like this rarely happens in a vacuum. Like the letter @jShort & @KenS posted. If bikes get banned in that park it will not be a surprise, but in fact something that some bikers are bringing on the collective.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
When it comes down to it, it all comes down to that all of these websites contain public information. Strava is an easy one to call out because of the segments but garminconnect has the same crap. It is just data. And like any public information, people will use it to their advantage.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
When it comes down to it, it all comes down to that all of these websites contain public information. Strava is an easy one to call out because of the segments but garminconnect has the same crap. It is just data. And like any public information, people will use it to their advantage.

Exactly...just like using strava heat maps to show how much use a park is getting in order to ask for additional funding.

Pros and cons...

The Kalmyk

The collective view point is mountain bikers are third party users. With the growing capabilities of mountain bikes, average Ted can hit John Tomac like speeds. That doesn't mean we should.

Top Bottom