Sträva weirdness?

I’m going to start recording my rides with my Apple Watch, iPhone, 830, and Fenix 6. Then I’ll only upload and save the one with the best segment times.

Edit: will I need to adjust my suspension to accommodate for the extra weight though? 🤷‍♂️
There is a new local strava star in my area and he uses an Apple Watch to record his rides. The general consensus is that Apple Watch = free Koms

My bud Mike's strava distance is usually 15-20% longer than mine on the same ride. He is not riding circles at the top of climbs waiting for me. He does not have a Garmin/Wahoo or a wheel sensor, he uses his Apple watch while I'm just iphoning it in. Never is it close in distance or do I come out with more mileage.

Imma just gonna add 20% to all my rides and call it good. Easiest 20% gain I ever didn't work for.

perfect example of what i was saying above about the inaccuracies of consumer grade hand held GPS units, small antennas = low accuracy = discrepancies, add in tree cover and terrain reducing signal strength. All of this is magnified by the fact that they only record at 1HZ (one ping per second).

keep in mind that at 10MPH you are traveling ~15ft every second.

perfect example of what i was saying above about the inaccuracies of consumer grade hand held GPS units, small antennas = low accuracy = discrepancies, add in tree cover and terrain reducing signal strength. All of this is magnified by the fact that they only record at 1HZ (one ping per second).

keep in mind that at 10MPH you are traveling ~15ft every second.
all-of-this-pointing.gif

historically I would lose about a mile at six mile since the twisty stuff is a "perfect storm" of the stuff you mentioned above, so you miss a point and not you have a straight line instead of a "U". Technically strava tries to fix some of this by matching to their network

Ok so here's some trailforks weirdness. Missing Ringwood trails. See names for Duck Pond, Millie White Rd, etc. But no line. Can't tap the name either.
Screenshot_20220909-054620_Trailforks.jpg

My Ringwood TrailForks missing trails problem is still there. Zoomed in and out and even updated NJ maps and no change. Same trails missing and it seems to only be Ringwood that i've noticed :shrug:

There is a new local strava star in my area and he uses an Apple Watch to record his rides. The general consensus is that Apple Watch = free Koms
I can confirm this is NOT true. But my Apple watch is a great conduit to my phone (stuffed in my frame bag), and a pretty handy display.

I can confirm this is NOT true. But my Apple watch is a great conduit to my phone (stuffed in my frame bag), and a pretty handy display.
If you have a watch with cellular hooked up, you can leave your phone in your car and still get call/stream music. In this scenario you are relying on the gps on the watch which may not be as accurate as the phone GPS.

Last edited:
View attachment 199048

Triple failure - it is Swedish for Strive.

Not only that, it isn't an umlaut! (it plays one on the internet tho)

not only that that, i gotta stop sniffing glue
I know we have gone down the rabbit hole, but the Swedish Chef is one of the all time greatest parts of the Muppets ever..

try not to laugh..

Back
Top Bottom