Sterling Forest

kidzach

Anyone know how bike friendly this place is? Checked out a map from the nys-statepark site.Just curious how technical it is if at all.I'm assuming the Appalacian trail is for hikers only and you can't ride on it.If that was the case it looks like access to all trails would be tricky.

From what I understand MTB access on Sterling Forest trails is limited at best.

if pixy sees this she can clarify... ;)

Sterling currently has a few short trails signed for multi-use. Most of them are gravel roads and eroded woods roads. Hiking trails do exist through out the park and NY master plan could allow for more multi-use. Michael Vitti from CLIMB has been looking for volunteer leader/s to manage the park. If anyone is interested in volunteering in any form, please contact Michael or a Jorba representative.

sf

check out the pdf for listing of mtb trails at sf

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/attachments/SterlingForestTrailMap.pdf

earlier this winter i mtbed in the snow to north side of sterling lake, mtb markers ended so i took long meadow back

IMG_0710.JPG

the weirdest thing was the center at sterling lake was named after a jersey guy lautenberg. when i finished my ride someone said they mtb all the way around the lake, but i followed the mtb markers up to iron works rd? markers ended so i took long meadow back

Iron works road?? Isn't that on the way to Jungle Habitat?

earlier this winter i mtbed in the snow to north side of sterling lake, mtb markers ended so i took long meadow back

the weirdest thing was the center at sterling lake was named after a jersey guy lautenberg. when i finished my ride someone said they mtb all the way around the lake, but i followed the mtb markers up to iron works rd? markers ended so i took long meadow back[/QUOTE]

Right now, only a few trails are marked and designated for mountain bike use. However, a mountain biker has stepped up to direct trail projects. We have had a few meetings with both parks, and a mountain bike connector between Ringwood and Sterling, using existing tracks has been approved. Watch the Jorba site for updates and work schedule.

Back
Top Bottom